Poll

How have the in-game books affected your roleplay experience (naming conventions, new aspects of Yliakum life, etc.)?

Very much so! I use them a lot!
It helps a little. I use them to learn names and such.
Not at all. I don't RP using any book info.
There are books?
My character doesn't read, so I can't roleplay using that info.

Author Topic: Rate the Library  (Read 1239 times)

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Rate the Library
« on: October 30, 2007, 10:05:17 am »
Settings has been working hard to provide you with quality information, education and entertainment in the library, or what we like to call "infocatainment." But what we'd like to know is, how well are you being infocatained? Do you use various naming conventions from the books? (Do you call it the "first level" or the "Dome?" Do you call them the "Bronze Doors" or the "Eagle Bronze Doors?" Do you call them "chickens" or "kikiri"?) Do you draw reference to things from the geography, history, medicine, zoology, and so on from the books? Would you like to give a shout out to any book you found really infocataining? Let us know!

Faldor

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the Library
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 10:10:08 am »
The libraries are wonderful resources for learning about the world that we live in as players.  It adds tremendously to the richness and realism of the game when you know the history and why things are the way they are.  It also gives a "final word" on aspects of the game, rather than leaving it up to a hundred different interpretations by different people.

Thanks for all of your hard work, and I look forward to seeing more books in the future!  Maybe even a section dedicated to player written literature?

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 10:22:20 am »
I love the books. I don't read them enough. I'd like to see some on Laanx though rather than just Talad propaganda :P
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 10:26:15 am »
When I started reading the books, ~2 years ago, there were not yet many. So I guess I would be surprised now to find new ones. And I did not read all the books throroughly either ... well, I was searching for specific information about communication (quest related), and most other information for daily habits I already learned from friends.

I bet the name "Eagle's Rock" was founded by players long before the book about it was available... And that may be only the most famous example. Most names reach me rather by word-of-mouth than by reading any books. Or by ripping apart the data files: Before I read the name "Korogan", I used to call the green glowing passages "Jade gate" (when there was only one).

Books in the library are definitely a useful resource, regarding roleplaying. I am happy when I can tell a newcomer to "go to the library and read a book" instead of telling him to [ read the forums ]. I wish I may be able to read some of our favourite drinks and receipes there, as they were collected here in the forums. (And someone tell Jomed how to make a "Cumbana Split"!)

And if there was no "Death Penalty", I would even try and look if there are any readable books in the Library of the Dead. But for now, sorry - no way. I'm staying alive.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 10:31:11 am »
And if there was no "Death Penalty", I would even try and look if there are any readable books in the Library of the Dead. But for now, sorry - no way. I'm staying alive.

Well, if by some unfortunate circumstance you do die, it might be worth your while to check.  :detective:

Myriel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 10:56:02 am »
I like the books! They offer information about the world ingame and you can learn many interesting things there. But perhaps I should check on them a bit more often as there are always new books coming. Normally I only go to the library when I'm looking for something specific...that might be because you have to check each shelf individually instead of walking through and looking for new books like it is possible in real life. Some labels on the shelves might be helpful, so that you can see what topic the books in there are about without clicking on it....  perhaps soon(tm) ;)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 11:02:27 am »
Some labels on the shelves might be helpful, so that you can see what topic the books in there are about without clicking on it....  perhaps soon(tm) ;)

"In the meantime", mouse-over popups could already be helpful, if possible in the 3D area. Item labels might be hard to read, according to the shelf vs. ceiling height.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 12:20:28 pm »
I always make a point to read up on any new books that appear in either library. They're a great help for those of us who want to stay within the settings but still expand on our world.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 12:49:16 pm »
I always make a point to read up on any new books that appear in either library. They're a great help for those of us who want to stay within the settings but still expand on our world.

remember that books are not only in the libraries but could be in other places as well.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 02:17:31 pm »
I sometimes spend some time reading books, but use the information mainly if needed in quests, or if I notice something I did not remember reading before. For me it was just an addition to information in the player guide. Until my character died a week ago. I am now sure books are worth dying for, even with a curse of death, and will surely try to find more books :)

Pizzasgood

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 03:38:58 pm »
The books are great.  I need to go catch up on any new ones sometime.  The settings stuff is one of the main things I like about PS.  I didn't vote though.  I suppose I would use them in roleplays, but I don't roleplay very much, mainly because I don't play much.  In fact, I've interacted with real people maybe thrice...  So I haven't had an opportunity to use them yet.   (Yes, I do plan to join in more when I get some time.  I think I'll be able to next summer.  Maybe even next semester, depending on how satanic my professors are going to be.  As it is now, I spent about 19 hours of my last weekend doing nothing but homework, and still had other obligations afterwards... and we don't even have the bang-head-against-wall emoticon...)
Did you get the number on that one-eyed rat?

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 04:56:23 pm »
I love the books and enjoy reading them because I think they really help. I actually hope for there to me more soon.
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 05:11:40 pm »
I got bored one day and started looking through a law book... Don't remember anything, though.  ;D

Marqsaynt

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 05:16:51 pm »
I got bored one day and started looking through a law book... Don't remember anything, though.  ;D

I just remember that it would suck being a kran kid. :P

For my money newest books are by far the most entertaining and awesome so, keep up the good work.  :thumbup:

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 05:20:52 pm »
Eheh.... Farren is blind and cannot read >.<