Poll

happy birthday threads

1) never.  users should send people PMs if they wand to wish someone a happy BDay.
19 (18.8%)
2) 1 thread.  everyone who wants to say Happy BDay to anyone, any time can make a post in that thread.  thread never gets locked.
26 (25.7%)
3) 1 thread per person per year.  threads get locked after a period of 48 hours to one week.
38 (37.6%)
4) only people wishing neko a bday may be able to make happy bday threads becasue he's just so darn awesome
18 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Birthday Greetings and the Like  (Read 5323 times)

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Greetings and the Like
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2008, 07:04:21 pm »
Quote from: neko kyouran
Many users have expressed their unhappiness that the first page of most recent replied to threads in the Plaza section of the forum are becoming flooded by all the Happy BDay threads, cluttering up all the other topics. 
* zorbels laughs

All I have to say to that is "Do you want me to call them a waaaaambulance?" Gesh the things people get upset about!

Anyway, great job Neko with the forums and being sensitive to peoples needs. :) Thanks for answering my questions, much appreciated!.
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

One and only tanner

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The internet makes you stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2008, 09:12:22 pm »
i voted for option 4 ;)

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2008, 09:35:14 pm »
Quote from: One and only tanner
i voted for option 4 ;)
* zorbels grins and yells "SUCK UP!"   :P
* zorbels runs before tanner can throw something at her head
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

neko kyouran

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2008, 09:39:18 pm »
i find it interesting how option four is nearly in second place.  and I wonder if people realize, that by voting for the joke option, they are essentially saying to me, I'm cool with whatever neko decides to do about this issue."  basically telling me, "take my vote, and apply it to the category you want to win".

:whistling:

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2008, 09:45:08 pm »
I switched my vote to option 4... because neko IS awesome.

ahem and haha, tanner's dragons died....

Waterman

• Hydlaa Resident
  • ...is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2008, 10:45:28 pm »
I'd rather it be never (who needs people you've never met telling you happy birthday where other people who've never heard of you can read it, seriously?), but I'll apply my vote to something actually conceivable (#2)

Can’t nobody say that Neko never did nothing for the peoples.

Your fairness in this issue and your respect for the opinions of others is deeply appreciated.

Hold that thought until after he does something....
"Not coming back until I have a better attitude."

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2008, 10:24:29 pm »
I'd rather it be never (who needs people you've never met telling you happy birthday where other people who've never heard of you can read it, seriously?), but I'll apply my vote to something actually conceivable (#2)

Can’t nobody say that Neko never did nothing for the peoples.

Your fairness in this issue and your respect for the opinions of others is deeply appreciated.

Hold that thought until after he does something....

like ban you... noob

ahem, on a more serious note, some of the people 'round here like the threads, but i've always felt that instead of making a public spectacle it would be nice just to keep it in pms...

Then again, an excuse to increase the forum posts... Oh god how could I pass that one up?

Heh... I don't see a big deal, I liked the idea neko also had about the single thread for all the B-day stuff... Its a legit complaint, I see good points in all of them, hence why I guess neko can take a stab at it... option #4.

One and only tanner

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The internet makes you stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2008, 03:26:57 am »
*Tanner crys of the loss of her dragons*  :'(

earl you meeny
Quote from: One and only tanner
i voted for option 4 ;)
* zorbels grins and yells "SUCK UP!"   :P
* zorbels runs before tanner can throw something at her head

*4 days later tanner throws his dead dragons grave stones at zorbels and wonders why it missed...*
dam you was too quick....this time...
*Tanner realises what his just lobed at Zorbels*
ahh!!

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2008, 04:05:11 am »
People enjoy making the birthday threads for others, that's why if I voted for anything it would be one per year, 48 hour close.  But I genuinely don't like them (Keep in mind I really, really hate birthdays at all.).

I can understand that with a community where best "friends" (I wasn't sure whether to put the quotations around best or around friends :P ) live hundreds of miles apart if not more, having the option to post a thread on their birthday's is really nice.  It's basically like passing a card around at work.

On the other hand, birthdays are fail :P
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Ulfer

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Sovereign, The Bloodstone Brethren
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2008, 11:56:05 pm »
I voted for option three... it's a nice gesture and everything but if they never got closed, and every registered user had their own thread...   :sweatdrop:

neko kyouran

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2008, 10:42:53 am »
the poll is now closed.  thanks for everyone that voted and voiced their opinion.

i'll now think over the results and get back to you.

neko kyouran

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2008, 01:24:16 pm »
okay, after crunching the data, and getting some time to make a proper reply, here's what we're going to do:

short answer is, we're going to continue to go with the one stickied thread for all happy bday wishings.

now you may notice from the poll above that that isn't the option that had the most votes.  sooooo here's why I'm going with option 2 over option 3.

First off, the lack of forum user participation put me off.  I know very well for a fact that there are more than 94 people who use the forums.  And I know that more than 94 people care to voice there opinion on polls when they are given the opportunity to, as some of the polls Xillix has started, more than 200 users have voted on the subject at hand.  So this tells me that the majority of forum users just don't care. This leads me to believe that the majority of forum users would rather just trust my judgment on this issue, and feel they are comfortable with whatever option I choose.

For the people that did vote, the same amount of people that voted for the joke "throw my vote away and do whatever you want with it" option, also voted for the first option, being to have no bday threads at all. 

When I made the 4 categories for the poll, I broke it down as such:  option one was for the people who dislike bday threads in general and don't think they should be on the forum.  These people get most upset if option 3 wins, becuase they'll see happy bday threads all over the place.  Option 3 was for people the exact opposite of option 1.  They like lots of bday threads and get most upset at the thought of having no way to say happy bday publicly.  Option 2 was for the inbetweeners, they think that just one thread for all bday wishes would be the best, as it's more than option 1, so they are able to say happy bday to someone if they want, but it isn't as bad as having an entire forum section filled with happy bday threads.  Option 4 was for people who wanted to vote, but didn't care what happened, which shows me they are content with any option I choose.

So going by just the votes cast, and trying to maximize the amount of content forum users, I should add the votes from option 4 to option 2.  And by doing so, option 2 has the most people happy with that decision, and while the people who voted for option one won't like it that there won't be any bday threads made, they won't be as upset as if option 3 were selected.  And similar thinking can be said to the people who voted for option 3. 

So, to maximize forum users happiness in regards to the bday issue, we're going with option 2, as option 2 came out ahead in either way that you look at it.  feel free to take this issue up with the new global moderator when ever I step down, when ever that may be, but while I'm "in charge", seems we're going with option 2.  :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:28:49 pm by neko kyouran »