Author Topic: Deleting History Of Players  (Read 1421 times)

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
Deleting History Of Players
« on: December 04, 2007, 02:55:31 pm »
I am rather upset that the mods have been deleting threads from the In-Game Roleplay Events section of the forums. (  ;) Not upset at the mods themselves, just the deleting of the threads.) This is to me not a good idea by any means. I can handle losing my stat's, inventory, trias, etc in game but what I cannot handle is losing the hard work I put into logging events on the forums. Such as roleplay stories started in or out of the game on the forums.  Some of my own posts that I poured hours of my time into are gone. I only realized this when I went to use some of these stories as an example in another thread. I used this section to help new comers to planeshift understand the concept of roleplaying. It helped give them an idea of what they were in for, and also gave them an idea of who to look for in game who was into roleplay. They were a great tool for me. It also helps me keep track of my character and what she has been involved in. I have most of my history in that section. Others (new and old to PS) could visually see stories that they weren't involved in actually connected to the roleplays that they were involved in. In a nut shell I found this section to be very helpful to me.

I believe there are a whole lot of threads that should have been deleted in other sections before even considering touching In-Game Roleplay Events. I am asking if this deleting in this section can stop. Otherwise I don't think I will put the effort into using that section anymore. What are your thoughts? Are these being deleted for lack of space?  I am sorry if this may seem minor to most of you who have no use for that section, but for me it is a very big part of my daily use in planeshift. Thanks for your time.

P.S Please do NOT use this thread to bash the mods, that is not what I intended.

I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
Re: Deleting History Of Players
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:07:57 pm »
Have you asked a Moderator for a reason of the deletions?

I can't say much about the situation without knowing the underlying reason. If it's done for no decent reason then, obviously it is not nice to loose all that effort. I actually went and looked up my first and only character story I posted on these forums long ago. It wasn't in the in-game roleplaying section though but the Storywriting section. Looks like it is still there, for which I'm quite glad. Since it's most likely a bit older than your posts, that more or less rules out the deletion for clearing up space.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

zorbels

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 03:18:06 pm »
Quote from: Zan
Have you asked a Moderator for a reason of the deletions?

No, Actually I didn't ask in a PM to a mod. I figured this could be public knowledge.  :) I was interested in the communities feelings on this as well. Wanted to see if I am the only one who uses this section as a tool.

The mods have told us they would give reasons to the deletion of threads. I have recieved no reasons in my pm box. I am pretty sure most of mine where deleted. I couldn't find them in the story section. I was hoping but they are not there unfortantly.

Zan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 03:33:04 pm »
Well from what I gather they'll give reasons if asked. I don't think they send a PM for everything they delete though, which I can understand since that means a doubling of the workload.

And like I said, my feeling depends on the reason that your stuff got deleted .. though to be honest I can only think of a few possible reasons, which I don't directly see applying. My only decent guess would be some sort of automatic pruning script based on thread age and poster activity. You have been inactive for a while, if I'm not mistaken? Also you're certain that it's deleted? Not just moved to another section or you made a mistake with the search terms? (not trying to attack or discredit you .. just had to ask :P)Then there is also the option of a deletion by accident but considering how forums work, I don't think it's very likely.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 03:37:07 pm by Zan »
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 03:47:04 pm »
I can totally see how that would double the work load to have to send pm's out for every deleted thread. You are correct with my being inactive for awhile and I have wondered if it that was possibly the reason I recieved no reasons for the deletion of my threads. I am still combing through the story thread and other sections to see if they were moved. Though it isn't looking to good. :( Annnnnnd ya right your not trying to discourage me or discredit .... your doing this only because I agreed with you in other threads aren't you!? ..lol.. just kidding. :P Thanks for your input Zan, much appreciated.

Zan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 03:52:53 pm »
Hey if I had to agree with everyone who agrees with some of my posts .. I could hardly disagree with anything anymore :P Ack, now I sound like Waylander ...

No, seriously. I do hope you find your stuff back or at least get a reason for the disappearance, it's never fun to lose one's work and I consider character histories artwork.
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

neko kyouran

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 04:39:52 pm »
just for the record,  I can honestly say i've never done anything to the rp forum sections.  that is, unless a post gets reported, and none have so far.   sssoooo I have no explanations as to why posts would be missing out of those sections.

sorry.   :'(

zorbels

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 05:17:20 pm »
Quote from: neko kyouran
sorry.   :'(

Noeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!  :'(

Ok well I will keep trying to find them Neko, thanks for your response.  :P BTW keep up the good modding, I am sure karyuu would be proud of the little monster she created.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 06:10:55 pm »
Acraig may be needed to answer this one could be a function of the board itself.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 07:29:31 pm »
Already I went through all my posts from day one, that's 110 pages worth. *Rubs her eyes* This is what I found......

1399   Gameplay / In-Game Roleplay Events /  on: December 23, 2005, 12:21:27 AM 

1327   Gameplay / In-Game Roleplay Events /  on: January 18, 2006, 11:16:21 AM 

1320   Gameplay / In-Game Roleplay Events /  on: January 20, 2006, 11:18:08 AM 

1144   Gameplay / In-Game Roleplay Events /  on: March 02, 2006, 11:49:29 AM 

1020   Gameplay / In-Game Roleplay Events /  on: April 02, 2006, 03:46:49 PM 

744   Gameplay / In-Game Roleplay Events / on: June 07, 2006, 12:30:03 PM

This isn't possible. I know there were way more postings in the  In-Game Roleplay Events section by me. If they are not showing up in my profile, show posts option ..... then I am assuming they are not anywhere on the forums. Well this bites! I just hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 07:35:44 pm »
were some of them under akaye's name?
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

zorbels

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 08:24:51 pm »
Quote from: miadon
were some of them under akaye's name?

No, not possible. Akaye was my GM name and I never used Akaye when it came to roleplay. Akaye was never a character. At the time I used Zorbels to post in the RP topics and Akaye for other more serious topics. Besides Akaye was never even a thought when I posted half of these posts in the  In-Game Roleplay Events section. I was and have been posting in that section since I joined with planeshift.  Thanks for the suggestion though Miadon, it was worth a try. :)

bilbous

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 01:01:33 am »
I seem to recall some wholesale pruning 5 or 6 months ago for some reason, I think to prevent continuous thread resurrection that was going on at the time. Perhaps if you pm the administrator you could get them dredged out of an old backup and returned to service.

Phinehas

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 01:43:24 am »
People just hate you, Zorbs... accept it.

Leama

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 12:54:33 pm »
History of any kind distroyed is a crime. I think we can learn a lot from reading those threads and it saddens me to think they might be gone forever. I have always enjoyed the stories you have written for this forums, Zorbels. I would like to see the ones that are missing restored.

(Zorbels, you not hated.)
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards.