Author Topic: RPing an idiot [a thankyoupost ))]  (Read 818 times)

darhark

• Traveller
    • View Profile
RPing an idiot [a thankyoupost ))]
« on: December 29, 2007, 04:29:05 pm »
Ssoo... [i'm still rapidly increase my english skills, so most of my posts start with "ssoo"]

I know that's a roleplaying game. I know it's not you, but your character acting in the world of Planeshift. But. I have an experience of board based RPGs, i used to play complete fools and idiots with INT<=6 of course. But. The DM and all of us knew i'm not and idiot in RL and enjoied my RP (RPing a stupid guy is not that easy you know). But. Planeshift is not a board based RPG. Thats MMORPG. Mates from USA, Britain, India, Ireland, France and the whole known world (sorry for not typing YOUR country here, but i'm limited in that thing) are playing this game. I've never been to the most countries listed. I don't know anyone playing this game in RL. And, what is the most important, they don't know me. Ssoo... Mates, HOW do you manage to play fools and don't feel shy about it? I've cheated: i have chosen to play Xacha, for they are smart. How do you stop yourself from acting smart? Most likely no one knows you here in RL. They can think you're playing an idiot because you ARE idiot. Well. Nevermind. I actually know how you do it. That's just a thankyoupost. Thank you for your RP, guys, sorry, will not list you here! Keep it going! The best GM i ever saw used to tell: it's all OK to RP when someone in a group can play an idiot and don't feel shy. I've seen the best fools, stupid guys, complete idiots, brain-damaged fellows here... sometimes i think they are even better then i saw in board games. The job you are doing can even be compared to the job the devs do, well maybe a little less (that's not an insult, devs, you know what i mean :innocent:). It's medieval setting and it is easy to role play a wise guy when you've readed Kafka and finished the high school. That does not actually require any IQ. Playing a dumb is a thing that require some IQ! Thank you once again...

Just  have returned from another little RP party )
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 05:04:14 pm by darhark »
Idimir Castoven, a scientist, a cartographer, an explorer, and a proud citisen of Hydlaa.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RPing an idiot [a thankyoupost ))]
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 05:06:39 pm »
Little hint: Using emotive descriptions (like '/me does...' or '/my things are...' between sentences) in your roleplay shows that you are smart enough to use the more advanced functions of the game.

I have seen many different roles. An idiot as role could be interesting; I just hope that you don't make it very harassing for other people. I mean - there is a little difference between being an idiot, and being an a..h... ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 05:26:16 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

darhark

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 05:10:16 pm »
eeh yes, and that shows you're quite good in english to use such functions  ::). Eeh. I don't use it? HELL!
Ssoo, that's not what's it's all about, LigH ))

And being an [beep]. is great too! No kidding! I like to see someone RPing an [beep]. A good fight at Kada-El's because of [beep]ing actions - isn't it's great ;D? I think that's no bad thing can come from RP if it make sence in the world you are RPing. I don't think that a HUMAN playing a diabolii will be insulted if someone call him a "stupid red horned humanoid" in reality? Right? Ssoo i don't mind if someone will be RPing an [beep]. No one actually wants to look like an [beep] in RL either.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 05:28:29 pm by darhark »
Idimir Castoven, a scientist, a cartographer, an explorer, and a proud citisen of Hydlaa.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 05:24:32 pm »
@ neko:

German commedians have an advantage - they already can say "f..." and also say "a..h..." freely in TV.

And I wrote "a..h..." with all the best intentions - just remembering that commedian's stage play. ;)

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

darhark

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 05:27:17 pm »
Oh hell... i didn't knew that's a restricted word  :whistling:
I think i'll modify it ))

neko kyouran

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 05:32:33 pm »
this isn't Germany.

Suvok

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since Client 0.3.014
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 12:15:11 am »
An acute observation there Neko.  :D

Anyhow, I've played a couple of idiots during my time in PlaneShift and usually, to give a bit more of a personality, I give them an lazy way of speaking. Words like suppose become s'pose, words like nothing become nothin' . But you still have to retain an intelligent way of writing.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 12:17:57 am by Suvok »
Confusion is always the most honest response

Ravenguard

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Stupid Demons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 12:34:44 am »
You can also talk in simple sentences with third person.  Though not necessarily an idiot, it does make people look at you differently.

Crj

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 08:36:58 am »
Yes, a lot of people try to talk in a almost scientific language mixed with Shakespearian english, use a 'sir' and 'lady'constantly. As it's supposed to sound medieval...
Instead of "Do not dispair, my fellow citizen! I shall guide you in your path to the honorable librarian and owner of Hydlaas greatest source of knowledge and wisdom - Librams and Codexes, sir Jayose, whom i happan to know personally *wink*, because of my never ending thirst for new facts and information about Yliakum and its inhabitants. [Insert random god or godess here], illuminates us all!", you could say "Com'on".
I sometimes sound like an idiot without intending to... well... compared to the great minds of Hydlaa, who happen lurk around every corner.
A new day, a new failure!

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 08:49:12 pm »
I used to RP a mentally disturbed psychopath who had his tongue cut out and replaced with a snake's. He would refer to people as "this one", or some abstract personality trait and to himself in the third person. It was endlessly entertaining, especially when people assume that you're doing it out of ignorance.  I made a thread about it here

Of 'course, I'm not the type of person who worries about being considered an idiot, as some of you may know :P

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 09:36:09 pm »
Who cares what a bunch of nerds thinks of you any way.

:P
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!