Author Topic: Length of downloading is rediculous  (Read 1534 times)

ninja51

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Length of downloading is rediculous
« on: January 19, 2008, 01:12:52 pm »
im downloading the game through the Xordan mirror and the download time is 3 hours! I have a fast computer, and Iv never had a game that took 3 hours. and the other American mirror dosnt work. I tryed the British, and the download time was only 20 miutes, but when I tryed to update it said it was unable to. I checked the contents of the British versons program files folder, and many spaces were empty. I believe files might have been missing, or an error occured when I downloaded. Has any one else had this issue?
I own all noobs

Miaua

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Length of downloading is rediculous
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 02:55:04 pm »
*Miaua passes some patience to Ninja51*  ::)

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 04:06:47 pm »
Try another mirror if you're impatient, there are plenty fast ones out there like this one.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »
I got that installer very quickly using a BitTorrent client, when it was new and lots of seeders were available; don't know about today, as many people already have it, and may not share it any longer...

The computer speed is irrelevant for downloading, it only depends on (1) the uploading speed of the chosen server, and (2) your downloading speed limit set by your internet provider. BitTorrent downloads from several (possibly several dozen up to hundred) people sharing the file, so it is often faster than the HTTP download from only one server. With a 3 Mbps connection, I got it in half an hour.

Furthermore: DO NOT UPDATE! -- Unfortunately, the installer still has this option checked by default, although the developers should know that the update servers are not reliably up-to-date.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Ver

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 10:52:23 am »
A little bit spoiled, aren't we?

I still use dial-up (yes, I'm old-fashioned like that) and it takes several hours for a file as large as Planeshift to download.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 01:48:26 am »
A good over-night task. ;)

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Suvok

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since Client 0.3.014
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:26:56 pm »
I checked the contents of the British versons program files folder, and many spaces were empty. I believe files might have been missing, or an error occured when I downloaded. Has any one else had this issue?

May be a stupid question, but have you actually tried to start the game?
Confusion is always the most honest response

waico

• Wayfarer
  • Join the dark side, we have cookies !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 05:52:09 am »
I have slow internet connection and i would kill for such a fast download time
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/6/6a/Gtfo3.jpg
I just didn't like the place we where going

joelph

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 09:09:06 am »
i can download in only 30 mins  \\o// \\o// ;D ;D

You---GG

• Wayfarer
  • Mr. Mohawk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 09:12:30 am »
How did you do that?!  :o

I took a full 3hrs to download it, at about 20KB/s.  :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop:

What version did you use?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 11:03:36 pm by You---GG »
"Fairness is a wonderful attribute. It has nothing to do with life."

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 10:05:11 am »
That could only have been 20 KB/s. Or you would have got ~200 GB, not just 250 MB. ;)

And version ... you should only download the most current one (at the moment: 0.3.020), all older versions will not connect to the game server anymore.

You should use either

a) a BitTorrent client (recommendable for Windows: uTorrent)
b) a download manager which supports segmented downloads from several source links (Freeware: FDM = "Free Download Manager")

so you won't be limited by a slow upload of only one source.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

You---GG

• Wayfarer
  • Mr. Mohawk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 11:11:56 pm »
 :oops: I'm new, you see...

Anyway.
Wouldn't downloading from different sources be even slower, as the internet connection will be split between the two?

Zhaxor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 11:19:43 pm »

Anyway.
Wouldn't downloading from different sources be even slower, as the internet connection will be split between the two?

No. Quite often, if you are on a fast internet connection, your maximum downlad speed is greater than the maximum allowed upload speed of a single connection at the server, basically to stop one user with a stupidly fast connection stopping everbody else from downloading anything. By downloading from multiple servers you can run each seperate connection at the max allowed speed of that connection, quite often increasing your download speed 10X or more. That, BTW, is how P2P works. P2P downloads from other users internet connections, and their upload speeds are usually only a fraction of the average users download speed, so you can download different bits of the same file simultaneously from 10+ different users to get  a good download speed.

Jonerian

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Jonerian Cruentis
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 12:00:31 am »
Well, I have to throw in: If you are downloading the client right after the release, then the torrent is the way to go, because there are lots of users running the torrent and the servers are overloaded anyways. If the version is already month old, then it IS better to download the client from the server directly, because there aren't that many people in the torrent anymore. (tested both at the two different scenarios)

Or short:
If you are completely new to PS, then you normally choose the a server to download
If you are only getting a new version right after it comes out: use torrent.

You---GG

• Wayfarer
  • Mr. Mohawk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 12:07:30 am »

Anyway.

No. Quite often, if you are on a fast internet connection, your maximum download speed is greater than the maximum allowed upload speed of a single connection at the server, basically to stop one user with a stupidly fast connection stopping everbody else from downloading anything. By downloading from multiple servers you can run each seperate connection at the max allowed speed of that connection, quite often increasing your download speed 10X or more. That, BTW, is how P2P works. P2P downloads from other users internet connections, and their upload speeds are usually only a fraction of the average users download speed, so you can download different bits of the same file simultaneously from 10+ different users to get  a good download speed.

1. There is no P2P in PlaneShift just yet. (As far as I know, which isn't alot)
2. I was referring to dialup and the like... you have a point there with the fast internet connection. Thanks for the info BTW.