Author Topic: RP on your resumé  (Read 1238 times)

Proglin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
RP on your resumé
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:21:27 am »
Who would have guessed that Role-Play in PS can help you get a job? Well, if you told me you could a week or two ago, I would not have believed you. Virtual Reality is at a point where people actually replace real life by it, and even in Planeshift there are people spending more time in RP then in RL. As was I, a few months back. Gradually employers start realizing the power virtual reality can posses and the RL skills people get from that.

I applied for a job of Organiser and got hired. I'll be organising tournaments, just like good ol' Proglin used to do in Yliakum. My Resumé told about some relevant hobbies and whatnot, and a somewhat lengthy part about my experiences hosting events for an RP community. I explained how I used to organise tournaments online and managed a team of 20 players while keeping 100 more entertained. Also wrote down my experiences as a GM. Not 10 minutes later I recieved a reply from the company, asking more about that. They wanted to know what it was I did exactly so I explained and send them a website. Again, not 10 minutes later I was hired without as much as an interview. Naturally, my RP experiences weren't the one reason why I got hired. Most likely my love for sports and theatre weighed in as heavy, just that my brand shiny new employer believed that skills obtained in Virtual Reality are as good as those obtained in Real Life.

So... looking for a job? Do not hesitate to add "Ran a shop in Virtual Reality" to your resumé. You are likely to recieve questions about it, but it might just make the difference and show people you got a nack for organizing stuff as well as have insight in economy.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:30:43 am by Proglin »
yours, the entertainer

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Re: RP on your resumé
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:55:27 am »
Bravo!

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:00:51 pm »
Wow, that's awesome!  I had considered doing the same, but wasn't sure.  Maybe it depends on the position applied for.  Congrats Proggy :D
"Here's to lowering caskets of old friends choice and consequence we'll birth a new day with the death of an old and start over, start over.  Here's to burying hatchets in those who you'd never call your friend...we'll birth a new day with the death of an old day and start over, start over!"

Leama

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 12:29:41 pm »
Rayken adding Game Master to your resume cannot hurt. It shows that you have skills that are needed to be one and those skills might be needed for the job. We never know what an employer is looking for. It also leads to conversation during an interview.

Proglin I am sure you will do well in your new endeavor. Best of luck to you.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards.

Izzabella

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Outlaws
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 01:24:11 pm »
Somehow I am debating if putting "ran around as an outlaw in a virtual world" would look so good on my application...

hehe sorry just had to :)

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 01:45:50 pm »
Way to go Proglin! Glad to hear playing PlaneShift has helped you in your real life endevours!  :woot:
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

peeg

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:50:29 pm »
Congratulations Prog!

Now that you mention it I realize how much i miss your tournaments though  ... :)
[ PSde ] - Join the german community!
Peeg Chaoswind - Mentor in The Rangers Of Yliakum

Phinehas

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 03:02:29 pm »
... was the most powerful wizard in Yliakum...

Yeah, that's gonna get me hired.

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 04:16:40 pm »
Yeah, a friend of mine is a software architect for a POS program for a large company, and when I asked him he advised me not to put it on my resume.  Something about making it look like you don't do anything other than sit around playing video games xD.  I'm sure it depends on the position though--it worked for Proggy.
"Here's to lowering caskets of old friends choice and consequence we'll birth a new day with the death of an old and start over, start over.  Here's to burying hatchets in those who you'd never call your friend...we'll birth a new day with the death of an old day and start over, start over!"

svuun

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 04:18:34 pm »
... was the most powerful wizard in Yliakum...

Yeah, that's gonna get me hired.

Especially if you were one of hundreds of the "most powerful wizard in Yliakum" to have graced the game.

"What was your role?"
"Oh, why the greatest and most powerful wizard in all of Yliakum"
"Oh, we've been getting a lot of those. Seems like there were many in Yliakum..."
"No but I was the most powerful. I cast spells in RP that weren't even in the game, and have this quiet demeanor with hidden rage..."
"Yeah we've seen all that. I bet you wear a dark cloak and have a mage staff and..."
"How'd you know all that?"
"Listen son, what else you have to offer?"
"I can juggle!"
"Great, you're Hired!"

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 04:24:10 pm »
Does this mean I'll be hired to be an Emperor?

EDIT:
Congratulations Proglin!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:27:17 pm by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Zwenze

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 04:43:58 pm »
Congrats :)

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 04:47:45 pm »
Oh wow, this would be really good news to me if, you know... The mafia took resumes :P

Maybe I'll send one to the CIA...

Congrats, Proglin!
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 05:05:58 pm »
Two types of people in the software industry: Those who know that video games are an important and growing market, and those that think that video games are and always will be a waste of time. People will classify you according to their viewpoint on this, as unfair as it is. And kudos, Proglin!

Dihenis

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 06:00:08 pm »
Amazing! I wonder if this will work for college...