Poll

Do you think we should wipe the characters?

Yes!
No.

Author Topic: Wipe  (Read 8442 times)

Ryiel Fohpaws

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Wipe
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 01:19:51 pm »
By wipe i mean stat reset. Set everything back to starter stats. New players are in huuge disadvantage. Nolifers(powerlvlers) will max their stats in a week either way. This way you can make sure that no one steals your IG identity. (Too many idiots would steal each other's names and do nasty things...)

Ps.: And ofc wipe items and tria as well.

Zindia

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 01:20:54 pm »
NO WIPE  X-/

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 01:21:39 pm »
actually they think about a wipe everyday.
dev 1:should we wipe today?
dev 2:nah, nothing too important to wipe for.
dev 1:darn. i've got my wipe stick already too.
or atleast i think that's how the dicussions go. though usually they don't becuase mini-wipes are usually more effective. a wipe is usually invoked when something big comes through the pipes like a major version change or after a large series of cumulative economy related bugs are cleared out.

but fear not the wipe. it is not an end. it is not a beginning of an end. it is merely a beginning.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Eriroley

• Traveller
  • Go North!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 01:22:19 pm »
Please, for those of you who say "no Wipe"... Why not, and for those who say "Wipe"... Why?

tadill

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 01:23:49 pm »
Roleplay, and your time will never be lost.
hmm even tho I am the worst rp person in this game I could never rp a lie not when the mechanics are there for the reason of proving it. But why the wipe? to fix the economy? it won't work the economy won't be really fixable until all the crafting is implemented and the ncp's no longer sell stuff that can be made. well that is my 2 trias and I voted against it

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 01:24:36 pm »
One day we'll have to ;) Although when that day is I don't know. It'll be after some big change like finalising combat and progression, where we need to throw away all the old data and start fresh. I'm sure we can save some things like character descriptions though.

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 01:25:25 pm »
Because so many oldies need to be forced to retake the tutorial... And, the current group of characters have still been tainted by eid's curse... Its been said before - we should of had a character wipe then, we've already waited too long for this, I say do it now, let the four winds of destruction go.

"Wipe them out.... All of them."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:27:57 pm by Earl_Listbard »

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 01:25:43 pm »
Even since I've started, PS has changed in a lot of fundamental ways, and boy howdy is it gonna ever change more. It is quite a bit more complex, and one of the best ways to determine better balancing issues is to wipe. Heck, there hasn't even been a wipe since I started, although back then they discussed an ever-looming threat of one.

It looks like people are split about 50/50 on the issue, so sorry to half of you, but...

I think the time is right.

lusiocoram

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 01:26:13 pm »
I have personally spend more than a year getting my char to where it is now. I have far from max anything, except my stats. However, it has still been a long and hard job to do this with hours spend every day. I think I would loose interst in this game if my char would be erase or even just reset. Don't tell me its just a game cuz I put alot of personal time into this. I don't think its fair to punish everyone for what a few players are doing, if this is because of powerlevelers. So..

NO WIPE PLZ

Furthermore.. who would want to spend time.. AGAIN.. to train you char if another wipe can happen again? Such a constant thread will ruin any gameplay and interest in playing the game, IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:28:08 pm by lusiocoram »

Manar

• Hydlaa Resident
  • 瓜田李下
    • View Profile
    • XG profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 01:26:33 pm »
I'm not sure a wipe is needed, but I don't have any objections.
The previous complete wipe wasn't that big a deal.  A new one won't be much different.
People will complain, some will make silly roleplay explanations, the sewers will be a bit crowded, and then people will forget it ever happened.

You can easily recreate your character and continue roleplaying where you left off.  I wonder how I'll spell my name this time.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:30:23 pm by Manar »
— Maanahr Ilde, Cartographer, Scout in the Explorers Guild.

peeg

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 01:26:58 pm »
I voted against a wipe because:
It makes no sense to throw the players (testers!) back to zero although high-level testers are needed to test high-level stuff.
[ PSde ] - Join the german community!
Peeg Chaoswind - Mentor in The Rangers Of Yliakum

Myriel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 01:27:14 pm »
I also voted for no, because - I just don't like to have to start all from the beginning. Not all leveling is bad, I always wanted to play a mage character, and I have the feeling that I also should *have* the powers I claim to have. But as I don't like to "powerlevel", it took me a long time to get at least some useful glyphs and a decent level of stats and skills. I just don't want to lose that...and I think many others, too.

Akashani

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 01:27:34 pm »
I voted NO!

because i invested month of my life time to make Akashani what she is NOW!!!

Krangon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: wipe
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 01:29:49 pm »
 I say no wipe! because much poeple worked much for they're char and spend very much time on it and may stop to play PS after that! So I say no! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 01:30:29 pm »
Even though, in general, I am in favor of having a wipe, I am not sure how much it would accomplish at this time since no major changes of the mechanics have been introduced, which means that items and stats will be regained with time (some much faster than others) and the economy will remain pretty much the same. I don't have all the facts, maybe when the new client is released there will be major modifications that will make it really necessary to set every character back to zero. If not, I say no.