Author Topic: /gather?  (Read 907 times)

Aro

• Traveller
    • View Profile
/gather?
« on: February 09, 2008, 12:08:26 pm »
What I would like to see in the game would be a gathering system similar to mining.  It could open up tons of new quests (go gather this, or something...) and be another source of income for players that could fit into certain rp concepts better than mining.  You could even add something like smelting to get it closer to mining.  Plus, it could be a practice to test how balancing things works to figure out how to balance some income issues in game.

sorry if this has been posted somewhere (didn't feel like looking through 136 or so pages :sweatdrop:)

thanks

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
Re: /gather?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 12:55:07 pm »
I'm not sure I understand the concept of "/gather", could you give more details on the idea
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Aro

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 01:44:06 pm »
sure.

I meant that you could use it like mining, something like "/gather" in a spot where x flora was present.  You could even make it a little more obvious than mining, like having a large group of x flower in a place to show that x flower could be gathered here.  I can't think of any practical tools to associate with it though, maybe a shovel?

neko kyouran

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 01:48:05 pm »
picture a pumpkin patch,

/gather pumpkin

system message:  "you have gathered a pumpkin!"

/gather pumpkin

system message:  "you can not gather in the same spot twice in a row."

*moves a bit*

/gather pumpkin

etc,etc,etc,etc......

Aro

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 01:55:29 pm »
why not? I meant for it to be an alternative to mining for those who don't want to rp a miner... Suggestions welcome

Erisnas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 02:05:03 pm »
Perhaps you could use it for other purposes to start with.  A /gather apple would allow one person to keep Harnquist's clear as well as have a decent payment per apple.  Now this would just set the character to autopilot and gather apples off the ground currently.  Later is would be a skill.  However, it is likely it is going to e implemented eventually with the Herbal skill.  However, we would have to see what players want first.  Would they prefer Devs work towards finishing the skill system, creating more maps, fixing bugs, or something else?  Anyway, I expect this will eventually get put in.  However, I could see it being a good idea since it would add some things to the game that would be nice.  Having plants between the towns that are interactive would be a nice way to spruce up the landscape and would be a good way to introduce the cooking and herbal skills when they come out.  So, while it won't come out for a while, I think it isn't a bad idea to do earlier on than other skills.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 04:04:43 pm »
I don't think you understood, Erisnas. /gather would not be for picking up actual items, just as /dig does not pick up existing ore. The ore or items would be generated upon successfull /gather.

Go to a river or fountain. /gather water. Water is created in inventory.
Go to a mossy rock. /gather moss. Moss is created in inventory.

I don't know how that herbal and material 'mining' system would work, But this would work very well for some things. Others, spawned items that you have to pick up would be better, such as rare (randomly spawning) flowers.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 05:14:35 pm »
This is a lag-friendly alternative to the current mushroom collecting system though.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 05:20:31 pm »
Never design a system differently because of lag. Version 1.0 will not have lag like PS has now :)
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 07:46:04 pm »
Never design a system differently because of lag. Version 1.0 will not have lag like PS has now :)
Yes, at some point there will be version 0.99, which has all the features and no bugs. Then we wait 5 years for hardware to catch up so all the lag is gone as well, and call it 1.0 ;)

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 07:56:07 pm »
Yes, at some point there will be version 0.99, which has all the features and no bugs. Then we wait 5 years for hardware to catch up so all the lag is gone as well, and call it 1.0 ;)

no I think 10 years will be more then enough  :-X ::)