Author Topic: Making it Lighter  (Read 1753 times)

afrit

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Making it Lighter
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:40:09 am »
Speaking as someone who has only been playing the game a couple of weeks, here's a suggestion for the starting town:

Making it lighter: When you first enter the world after completing the tutorial its a little bit dark and gloomy, and its a bit off putting finding yourself in a dark street with no one around you and no idea where to go. A lighter background / less shadows / brighter colours might improve this (for example houses with lighter walls), and a few signposts wouldn't hurt to make the game a little more user friendly for new players (Eg. Tavern >). This might encourage people to stick with the game and get stuck in, as opposed to thinking "great tutorial, what on earth do I do now?".

Just a suggestion  :)

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: Making it Lighter
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:44:28 am »
the devs know of the lighting issues and are working on fixing them as soon as they can, it will just take time.

afrit

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:05:58 am »
Great stuff,

The game is awesome, its just that the sky is a little bit gloomy :)

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:25:44 am »
Quote from: afrit
Great stuff,

The game is awesome, its just that the sky is a little bit gloomy :)

* zorbels grins

I have seen alllllllllllllllllll kinds of gloomy in PlaneShift. Check it out .....

I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Ralleyon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Protector in the Survivors of Vaern
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:17:33 am »
The gloominess is just another result of the Crystalspace engine using the lighter2. I for one kind of enjoy it this way, much more realistic, but afrit is right - we need more lights (light sources) in some areas during nighttime.

I almost fell a couple of times off the staircase which leads to the tavern, not to mention missing it altogether. It's darker than the death realm! :D
To see the world in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

[William Blake - Auguries of Innocence]

Erisnas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 09:26:00 am »
There is nothing like seeing 10+ people get stuck wandering around the entrance to Hydlaa on their way back from the BD.  It usually becomes some kind of wierd Marco Polo match.

Tyrania

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Fenki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 07:42:33 am »
I want to say something, too.

I think, some lights are on the wrong place. For example, when you are run through the tunnel to Ojaveda, then you must run trough the "forest" or so. their come the light from the left side, and it's a bit "Gloomy". Then you enter Ojaveda, their comes the lights from the front and from the right side. And it's very light. (also nothing is gloomy).
I think among others the lightning map is uncomplete (must new rendered), and when the light comes from a crystal in the cave opening, then can't the light 200 meters before the town come from left and later from the right + front side. there is something unlogic.
it need a reworking (synonym: revision).

and sure, it need time, but i want to refer it.
I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.
Linus Torvalds

Gohra

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 04:23:40 pm »
Especially at night, Hydlaa is very dark sometimes. I often cant find even the gate entrance if i want to enter the city. I think some lonely torches or lamps on the main streets would be really realistic. Additionally, the night effect is good but needs some work in lightning.
Next point: Trasoks and Brados Tavern havent any lighting points inside. On my screen it looks if Brado closed his bar, and so not many guests are there since V0.20. That should be fixed, soon i think.
Finally, i still have an idea for special dungeons or places in future: Some portable torches good be implemented, so that we can carry an own lightning point one day, also with a lightning spell, for example. (Of course this plan would be a performance problem if many people are running around with own lightnings) But in a far far future there could be dark dungeons, where you need a lamp, spell or a torch to be able to discover it. Would be funny i think.
"If you're not being criticized, you may not be doing much."
- Donald H. Rumsfield

Jonerian

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Jonerian Cruentis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 03:21:11 pm »
I had only problems with the light when I was running on on-board graphics. Apart from apparent bugs (bronze doors blackness) I am actually fine with the darkness. I would think it is supposed to be dark in some places and I am alright with it. It would suck if you can see everything at every time of the day..

Ichaas

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 11:41:09 am »
How about we put lanterns and torches ingame, rather than the entire light in the stalactite?
I think to be honest that the dark lighting isn't terrible - it could be just a touch brighter, but at the same time don't make it much brighter. I think this is the best time for some hip lanterns or carrieable torches.  I was going to make a new thread but this will serve my purpose.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 12:46:43 pm »
PlaneShift needs to support gamma correction.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 04:09:54 pm »
On that note, why not have torches that you can carry as an item? Or a spell for lighting areas up for a while?
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

neko kyouran

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 04:37:16 pm »
discussed before. please use search button.