Author Topic: Image to text converter?  (Read 459 times)

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Image to text converter?
« on: March 12, 2008, 03:54:48 pm »
Hey everyone. I'm in some need of some help I was wondering if anyone here could help me since the people on this forums know computers and such so well.

My boss gave me a list of almost 300 pictures that have typed text on them. She no longer has the original files so she wants me to re-type everything on it. This will take me months and months to type up so I want to just have it done through a program. A friend of mine had a program that was designed to read pictures and turn it into text but its very basic. If you guys can give me any names for professional programs that can read an image file and turn it into text I would be a very relieved human being. :)

P.S. Hey all :)
Lol Internet

neko kyouran

Re: Image to text converter?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 03:56:56 pm »
I have one that came with my scanner.  never used it, but I'll go home and figure out where that driver disc went and tell yeah what the name was.  :)

Have you checked the free ware sites btw?

where'd the dancing nanner siggy go?  :-\

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 04:31:06 pm »
Hey fesfes >.>

The technical term for that kind of program is an optical character recognition (OCR) program. So you could use that as a start for your searches. I don't know of any really good free ones, but there are some commercial OCR programs that get advertised a lot in technology magazines and whatnot. Perhaps you could write it off as a business expense?

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 04:46:29 pm »
I have one that came with my scanner.

where'd the dancing nanner siggy go?  :-\

I have one with my scanner too but it isn't powerful enough to change the type into text accurately enough.

As far as the dancing nanner goes, I have no clue...  ::|
I'll get it back up when I go home today.

Hey fesfes >.>

The technical term for that kind of program is an optical character recognition (OCR) program. So you could use that as a start for your searches. I don't know of any really good free ones, but there are some commercial OCR programs that get advertised a lot in technology magazines and whatnot. Perhaps you could write it off as a business expense?

josePhoenix

Thank jose. I planned on writing it off as a business expense anyways. I already explained to her that there are programs for this exact thing so she's willing to pay for it since shed rather have me do something more productive for the next six months or so.

That name will help me a lot though. I've been looking for a long time with no worth while results hopefully this will turn the tides.  \\o//
Lol Internet