Author Topic: Herb size  (Read 947 times)

Prolix

Herb size
« on: March 19, 2008, 01:48:38 am »
It is my opinion that the sizes of the various plant raw materials are too large. For example a Dandelion flower is size three, the same as a rolling pin.Now I concede it is possible that the plant could be as long as a rolling pin if it includes the root but there is no way it will take as much space in a pack. Is there any plans to implement a herb pouch for gathering such items? I would hope if there is that it could contain nothing but such ingredients.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
Re: Herb size
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 08:03:40 am »
Many items have the wrong size. For example the biggest sword available has a smaller "size" than a book or a simple mug. The Testing Team has been slapping Talad around for it for more than a year, but so far he hasn't gotten around to it.

It'll get fixed though, eventually...
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Prolix

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 08:36:27 am »
Fair enough. A couple of questions though -- Is he responsible for initial sizes of things or just the only one that can fix them once they are set poorly? Is there a weights and measures committee with representatives from the various teams that can hash out these things so that future items can be properly implemented? It would seem to be in the domain of the settings team but art and coding also have an interest. It would also seem that the current system of integer based values does not provide sufficient granularity, perhaps there should be different orders of magnitude available instead of just one scale of weights.

Instead of lobbying for a patchwork solution, look for a true fix.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 04:51:56 pm »
Talad is working on this now, yay!
If you want any values for size/weight fixed, please add a detailed report to the bugtracker :)
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Erisnas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:43:01 pm »
A small note, if not fixed quickly the issue will only increase as the number as items do with each release. 

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 01:47:19 pm »
A small note, if not fixed quickly the issue will only increase as the number as items do with each release. 

and you think the devs dont know this? requsting a lock on this thread as it is going nowhere. If you have an issue with an items size report it on the tracker so it can be tracked.

neko kyouran

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 02:21:19 pm »
how about you learn to be a little more nice caarrie?

:)

Prolix

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 09:26:18 pm »
I had hoped to get some kind of discussion about measuring systems going but that would not properly belong in this forum, rather in general discussion or wish list. Given that the call has gone out for a comprehensive list of improper measurements it does not appear that any more thought will be given to this matter publicly. I, for one, do not mean to criticize the development team though it may occasionally sound like it. I do try to point out things that I believe can stand improvement but do not always choose my words wisely enough. To try and make the list of measures that need to be changed would take a long time for any players to make. It would be far quicker to do a db dump of items and go through it one by one. I suppose we will go with the status quo which is reports in dribs and drabs and the occasional multi-item "fix."

I agree with caarrie that in this forum this thread has pretty much run its course. Perhaps it could be moved if there is more to discuss or just left to fade away on its own.

Prolix

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 10:24:19 pm »
Well now that cooking has come in the size ranges have been expanded by a couple orders of magnitude. To some extent this has been improved and not everything is rounded off to the nearest unit, there are now (at least) two places of significant digits after the decimal point. However it seems that some food ingredients still take up capacity in whole numbers. I am referring specifically to pinches of spices. I can create 40 dashes of ground wyn reeds for a weight of .4 and a capacity of 40. each dash weighs .01 and takes 1 space. I cannot put the product of one reed into a sack. Now some bloat is understandable if each dash is packaged individually but once it is ground it should not take more space than before it was ground. Give me a bottle than can contain as many pinches or dashes or scoops or whatever as can be made from the number of raw ingredients that I can fit in a sack.