Author Topic: Hmm, just downloaded and assume that the server crashed?  (Read 2717 times)

SpeakerPhobia

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Hmm, just downloaded and assume that the server crashed?
« on: March 30, 2008, 03:59:20 am »
Dunno if there's anyone out there, but the server crashes are -this- frequent/maintenance?  I'd like to check it out.  >.>

neko kyouran

Re: Hmm, just downloaded and assume that the server crashed?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 04:01:25 am »
not typically, but this game is still under heavy development, soooo crashes do happen.

i like it as you get to play on a world as it's created.  exciting stuff.  never know whats going to pop up next!

SpeakerPhobia

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 04:08:42 am »
does that mean that it's probable people are working on the current crash?
i'm curious, i would like to get into this.  it's possible the game could be better than the other free ones i've played. ^_^
and i'd like to help in my own way, perhaps.  depending on how it looks and how the game feels.  ..i know nothing of programming, but.. i've played rpgs since they were on paper.  ^_^
..i'm not as old as that makes me sound. XD
anyway.  i was just curious if they generally stay down for a long time, or if it's usually just a crash, half-hour goes by, up?
or is it for a few hours?

Theorex

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 04:13:01 am »
Well yes there's two types of crashes, those created by bugs or restarting to add something new in.
Then there's the actual server.

Crashes usually take about from 5 - 20 minutes, (excluding lags which hopefully will go the moment they arrive)

Sometimes on the rare occasion it can take from half an hour to several days, but this doesn't happen very often.

Edit:
I think this one might take a while...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 04:14:48 am by Theorex »

SpeakerPhobia

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 04:17:15 am »
You know.. every time I dl a game, it's always down when I'm done downloading. lol.  Oh well.  Hopefully they can correct it soon.  It'd be nice to see what it's like -before- beta.  lol.

Anyway, guess I'll just watch this page randomly, to see if there's an update for anything.  I can't seem to get to the mIRC either.  -_- is that down too?

Theorex

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 04:18:59 am »
Well the wait for this game is worth it...

If it wasn't nobody would play  ;D

It is a brill game, once you know how it all works and where everything is.

I don't have mIRC so I don't know about that but I guess it is.

Edit:
Unless you're just not connected to it, somehow.

SpeakerPhobia

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 04:20:58 am »
S'alright.  So.. it said opensource.  Is that like Secondlife opensource?  If you don't know what that is, it's basically a game where the players create it.  Is that what this is?  If so.. is there ease to it, or would it actually be source codes?
Curiosity.
I saw they had cat races.  >.>

Theorex

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 04:24:37 am »
I'm not actually 100% sure, but if I'm wrong maybe someone in the know will correct me here but...

I think this game is more like uhh, well we give suggestions and a widespread suggestion is implemented.

You can apply to be a dev but I think it's got some minimum skill requirements I dunno, haven't checked it.

Then there's testers to check for bugs and making sure everything's working properly, not that it ever is.

We all play to see what we can find that might improve the game, which I think is why it's so brill ^^

Edit:
And yes the races are godmodded sexy XD  :devil:

**edit*

It's coming back up now just have to wait for it to load...

enjoy ^^
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:38:37 am by neko kyouran »

SpeakerPhobia

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 04:31:48 am »
I ask, because I've gotten bored of alot of the free mmorpg's that are out there and can't quite afford the big one (you can only guess what that is), so, I've been looking for a game that'll be interesting and have some depth to it.  Already, from looking through the races I see that there is diversity in character, and class.  Secondlife gave the entire ingame world the ability to create their own "world" through sims and source coding.
Is that what the devs do?
lol.  This game has my mind really running rampant and I really wanna check it out. ^_^

Oh good.  Thanks for your civil response.  Good to see non-snarky people around.  ..that's not a misspelled word, google. >.> ^_^

Theorex

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 04:47:31 am »
The best part of Planeshift is YOU. The RolePlaying which makes these characters be whatever you want them to be (within reason, people don't like godmodders who's skin can't be cut or is mage who can cast any type of spell when really they don't know any...)

You can make your character something it's not, which is the best part cos it doesn't limit it to just it's abilities, it's got a life, it's not just a box with a bunch of levels in it.

TDB

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 07:53:55 pm »
S'alright.  So.. it said opensource.  Is that like Secondlife opensource?  If you don't know what that is, it's basically a game where the players create it.  Is that what this is?  If so.. is there ease to it, or would it actually be source codes?
Curiosity.
I saw they had cat races.  >.>
It's "opensource" as in "the game is proprietary to prevent people from making a better version and taking all our players, but the game engine (whatever good *that* is by itself...) is GPL".

It's not at all like second life ("get a first life"), it's a game with NPCs and maps and quests rather than the sort of do-it-yourself blank slate that I've heard second life is most like. Think a prefab home (this, or most other games) vs. a pile of bricks and cement mix (second life).

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 12:47:40 am »
The art and content of PlaneShift is owned by Atomic Blue. The source code (the part that actually makes the game work), is open source. Anyone is free to take that code, add their own art and content to it, call it by another name, and create their own game. At the moment, players can not create ingame content in the way Second Life does, nor will it ever do so to such a item spamfest extent.

bond304

• Traveller
  • Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring banana phone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 01:30:45 pm »
I heard in the bugtracker that the server can only support 256 players online and the rest have the server as Failed connection or the server crashes altogether. They predict that once the server 256 limitation is fixed, that the number of players will go into thousands.
.  __      _                                       ___     _          _    ____
  /  _ \   /  /   __      __       __       /   __/  /   /_     (_)  _/     /
 / __ / /  /   / _ `/   /  _  \    / -_)   _\   \      /   _  \   /  /    / _/ 
/_/     /_/   \_,_/   /_//_/    \__/ curse the char. limit

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 06:15:10 pm »
That was an April Fool's joke from Khaki :)
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

bond304

• Traveller
  • Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring banana phone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 06:18:46 pm »
well, i knew that...... :D :D :D :D
.  __      _                                       ___     _          _    ____
  /  _ \   /  /   __      __       __       /   __/  /   /_     (_)  _/     /
 / __ / /  /   / _ `/   /  _  \    / -_)   _\   \      /   _  \   /  /    / _/ 
/_/     /_/   \_,_/   /_//_/    \__/ curse the char. limit