Author Topic: What makes you not want to RP in -other- games?  (Read 709 times)

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
What makes you not want to RP in -other- games?
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:08:30 pm »
Well, we have some good posts in the other thread on the same subject as applied to PlaneShift. How about a new question for comparison?

What makes you not want to roleplay in -other- games?

Cyl

• Hydlaa Notable
  • *Ninja Poof*
    • View Profile
Re: What makes you not want to RP in -other- games?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 03:13:07 pm »
I've been playing WoW for quite some time, and I must say that I just didn't RP there because the game mechanics made for a better experience than some half-assed pseudo storywriting, which it would have probably turnt into if I had tried to force RP into WoW.

Needless to say that I never RPed in Counter Strike for obvious reasons.
MMORPG - Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:21:10 pm »
I don't see a point asking this question.
I don't know any popular game designed for RPing.
WoW, AO, PE - none about RPing so why RP there?

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Cyl

• Hydlaa Notable
  • *Ninja Poof*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 03:30:54 pm »
I don't see a point asking this question.
WoW, AO, PE - none about RPing so why RP there?

Well you would have the option of playing ain a WoW RP realm, ..., but noone, really does.
MMORPG - Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 06:13:36 pm »

Thats pretty much it. I've tried rping in other games but most for one thing aren't about rping. Secondly, players in the communities aren't interested in rping. Lastly the environment is just usually all around bad for trying to rp while everyone is mass spaming and shouting random stuff.

Not that I haven't tried rp in different MMORPGs, its just that in the end it's not very fun. You end up having a select few people to rp with everytime you get on. Not that I don't have a select few I usually rp with in ps but the select few here is bigger. Also there are plenty of other rpers that I could meet more easily in a game made for rp than in a game in which most people don't care.
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Ichaas

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 06:16:56 pm »
Well... if I stood aorund and roleplayed a battle where I;m holding a flak cannon, a rocket luancher, an assualt rifle, a minigun and so on and so forth in an arena with abunch of other robots, humanoids in Unreal tournatment 2K4 I'd just get shot repeatedly in the face until it stopped being funny...

The game mechanics of Shadowbane generally allow for a kinda half in half out  roleplay. You control everything around you, but the pace of the game and the actual wars going on between the nations speak for themselves. The gameplay overrules the need to roleplay really because it's already kinda there. Also If I was gonna start a fancy rolep;aying conversation or somthing in somewhere like oblivion or mealstrom then I'm likely to be too busy typing whilst someone elses character is poleaxeing my head in. Assuming that they are joining in on the role play - you'd get a message somewhat along these lines:

CharacterX says: *mwuhaha's*

Uuhm - Minions if mirth, you do roleplay sometimes, but its alot more relaxed community and again the gameplay, mechanics etc just overrules the roleplay in most cases. You might talk about the fight afterwards, but in general there isn't a need to make a grand story to it.

You can roleplay in Oberin. But again it's also a matter of roleplaying half the time, and being OOC the other half. It all depends on the circumstances. Although there some general themes running through if you stick around long enough.   

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 06:19:45 pm »
Simply put, none of the other games I have played allow room for RP.   :'(
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Izzabella

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Outlaws
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 07:12:18 pm »
Agreed any other games I've tried (talking of purely free games mind ya ;) ) there was no RP to be found the chars were named stupid names like 2cute4u and bananaman  or whatver. and they all talked chat-speak and it was all hack and slash and ..boring :P

neko kyouran

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 08:33:15 pm »
I've played the character I wanted to make perfectly to the way I wanted to in the game simply called "Elder scrolls 4: Oblivion"  I am the Grey Fox!   :devil:

oh, you wanted games I don't RP in and why....... hmm. 

WoW, because even though I enjoy all the lore in the game, it's simply not set up for most to "RP" in.  It's set up to be a grinding repetitive type game, where you kill the same big bad boss guy over and over again until you get that special item you want.

Sure, there's plenty of quest chains that are very long and detailed and kinda cool, but after you're all said and done and saved the world from impending doom, you can wait a week for the raid instance to reset, and go back and kill mr. super bad dude all over again, which, does take away from the whole "the whole world depends on you succeeding" atmosphere you get from the npc's when you get the quests from them.

I suppose you could say, just do the quest chain once, kill the end guy and say you "beat the game".  But thats where Blizzard's evil genius to get you to keep playing comes in. Takes 25 people to get the big baddies at the "end game content".  Each baddie drops 4 pieces at most of items, out of a loot table of possible drops of 10-20 pieces.  Guarantees most people have to kill him again to get the items they need to continue to have the needed gear to be able to even stand a chance at being able to defeat the next "all powerful" baddie that lies in your path.

So, I guess, I don't RP in WoW, because the way the game is set up, to be able to see the cool end game content and all the game has to offer, the mechanics simply don't support it, when you try to "rationalize" your character's actions.

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 08:35:14 pm »
I try to rp in other games, but most people just get confused... so that makes me not want to rp in other games.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 12:52:01 am »
It's not that I don't want to roleplay in other games; it's that the thirteen year old testosterone-controlled boys just want to hack-'n'-slash. They're all like "lol rlplyrs R st00pid!"

...as they ignore the rules of the English language and run straight for the gaping maw of a giant dragon with nothing but a dagger in hand.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa