Author Topic: Tutorial FAQs and Common Problems  (Read 4524 times)

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Tutorial FAQs and Common Problems
« on: May 01, 2008, 12:58:19 pm »
Almost daily, GMs find players who are stuck in the tutorial for different reasons. Most of them are because they either crashed or because they are unfamiliar with NPCs and they must talk to them to move on to Yliakum. Hopefully this FAQ will make things easier for you if you find yourself in this situation. Feel free to post any questions/comments if something is not covered by this guide.

Index:
         1.     I can't talk to NPCs, they only say that they don't understand or something about trigger words!
         2.     I gave some items to an NPC and then I crashed! Now I don't know what to do and the NPC doesn't understand me!
         3.     But I've done that and I'm at the last NPC of the tutorial and he won't understand, and I don't have the items anymore!!!
         4.     I crashed and I never got my rewards!
         5.     I'm trying to talk to the NPCs but they are ignoring me. All they say is to come talk to them!!!
         6.     I can't get the NPCs to give me a quest even though I'm asking them "give me a quest"
         7.     I give up! Nothing works and I need HELP!!! I tried the help tab but nobody was around to answer my questions! I also filed a petition
                 but never got an answer.
         8.     I'm trying to play but everything looks weird. I think I got a graphic bug or something
         9.     Where can I get more detailed information about the game?
         10.   I finally finished the tutorial and I want to create a second char. Will I have to do it all over again?
         11.   I called a GM for help and he/she says I need my name changed!

1. I can't talk to NPCs, they only say that they don't understand or something about trigger words!
NPCs only respond to certain trigger words (like "hi", "give me a quest", "about X", etc.). Trigger words are normally hinted in the last thing they tell you. To find the trigger words, just scroll up before they stopped understanding you and look there for an answer. If you logged out or crashed and you lost all previous dialog in your NPC tab you can still check your logs to find that information. You will find the logs folder following this path:

Windows: In the user home directory, usually in "Document and Setting\Username\Application Data\PlaneShift (make sure windows isn't hiding folders or enter %AppData% in the address bar of the explorer window)
Linux: ~/.PlaneShift
Mac OS X: ~User/Library/Application Support/PlaneShift (start at the house icon in the left bar of your finder window)

It is important to know where your logs are so you can review dialogs with NPCs and friends for quests and RP. Most problems in the tutorial arise from simply not reading what the NPCs say.

2. I gave some items to an NPC and then I crashed! Now I don't know what to do and the NPC doesn't understand me!
The NPCs will remember if you gave him/her anything. You just need to pick up where you left off. Review your logs to see what was the last thing they said and try to find the trigger words there.

3. But I've done that and I'm at the last NPC of the tutorial and he won't understand, and I don't have the items anymore!!!
If you have gone through your logs and tried any possible answer and still nothing works, try telling him "thanks". This should reactivate the quest.

4. I crashed and I never got my rewards!
If you crashed before you could accept your reward you probably won't have a chance to get them again. It should not block the quest for you so you can still finish it and move on to the world of Yliakum, but if you really want the items you didn't get (which are rather common and easy to get once in the game world), you can start over, deleting your char and creating a new one. It's up to you.

5. I'm trying to talk to the NPCs but they are ignoring me. All they say is to come talk to them!!!
Make sure you are targeting the NPC you want to talk to and using the NPC tab for your entries. Otherwise, they won't hear you.

6. I can't get the NPCs to give me a quest even though I'm asking them "give me a quest"
In the tutorial, all quests must be done in certain order. That means that you have to finish with the first NPC before moving on to the second, and so on. Read your logs to see where you are at with the first NPC and follow her instructions. If you still find it too hard, you can check the Tutorial Walkthrough.

7. I give up! Nothing works and I need HELP!!! I tried the help tab but nobody was around to answer my questions! I also filed a petition but never got an answer
Advisors on the help tab are not always around. Most of them are regular players so they are not available for assistance 24/7. GMs also check the help tab so they might see you need assistance there too. However, a quicker way to get help if the tutorial walkthrough isn't working for you is to directly contact a Game Master. To see if anyone is online enter the following command:

Code: [Select]
/who game

This will list all current online GMs. Then you can send them a message with the following command:

Code: [Select]
/tell <GM name> <message>

GMs are also volunteers so they try to be online as much as possible but sometimes they can't due to real life responsibilities (job, family, etc.). If no GM is online go to #planeshift-gmtalk on IRC and ask that someone come online to help you. You can also file a petition using the petition window but they don't always get looked at right away. Trying the first two will work faster. If you do file a petition, you'll need to be online for a GM to contact you and help you so stating your time zone helps. A GM will try to help you complete all the quests and only if nothing works will they teleport you to the game world.

8. I'm trying to play but everything looks weird. I think I got a graphic bug or something
In that case try looking for threads with similar problems in the support section of this forum:

If you see nothing matching the problem you have, use the search function before posting. Common issues are often stickied so make sure you read those too.

9. Where can I get more detailed information about the game?
The tutorial will give you the basics but for more information you can check these links:

10. I finally finished the tutorial and I want to create a second char. Will I have to do it all over again?
No. The tutorial must only be finished once per player account. If you finished it with one of your characters before creating the other three, they won't need to go through it again.

11. I called a GM for help and he/she says I need my name changed!
Yes, GMs enforce the Naming Policy everywhere and the tutorial helps us screen bad names before they enter the game world. If you got your name changed that was simply because it was not in compliance with our policy. But don't worry, that is not a big problem. It's easy to solve and you'll get a chance to choose your new name. Do not hesitate to contact a GM if you have any doubts about game policies.

Please keep in mind that the tutorial is meant to make it easier for new players to learn the basic rules of the game. It is work in progress and your feedback is always helpful. This thread will be updated as necessary. Thank you and welcome to PlaneShift!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:19:38 am by Dajoji »

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial FAQs and Common Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:02:08 pm »
Nice work  :sorcerer:
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Aiwendil

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 01:36:24 am »
Very good work. Just allow me one remark. With the House of Games around, a "/who game" could also show players in that guild. So please check if the person you want o send a /tell is really in the "Game Masters" group. Yes, I know, this should be clear, but I nearly did it wrong one time ;) *Aiwendil hides in shame*

neko kyouran

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:22:49 am »
you sir, get a sticky!

migueltherocker

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:03:41 pm »
i am a new player, and im stuck in the tutorial, but im not here to ask help for that
ive done everything u told me to, but nothing helped
im just going to start a new character.
is it possible that in future releases, new players are given the option of skipping the tutorial?
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
-Robert Frost

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:07:33 pm »
Your issues with the tutorial might stem from the issues we are working on correcting now, post release. If you are in game, please try and find a Game Master if you are still having issues.

Danman

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 05:21:49 pm »
 ???

I too am having trouble, i have ried all kinds of words from the npc's speech and they just keep saying "sorry dont understand"

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 02:24:01 am »
@Danman have you looked in this forum and followed the step by step walk-through including what to say?
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947