Author Topic: Random Monster Raids on Cities  (Read 2338 times)

StitchedChin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Random Monster Raids on Cities
« on: May 06, 2008, 12:31:52 pm »
NPC monster attack on the cities, maybe not that often, a couple times a month, maybe during peak player periods.  But, a herd or whatever a big group of Tefusangs or Ulbernauts are called or even a rat stampede, but something to get everyone involved, let people use shout for something fun in game.  A warning can hit everyone's system menu giving them 1 minute to either run for their lives or rush to help.  Can be different scenerios, monsters have broken through the gates, and all help is needed in the plaza or there is a monster riot in the Arena or a Consumer infestation, but something that allows the "heroes" to strut their stuff and keeps everyone on their toes and gives them a sense that the world coming alive.  Course, there are probably issues with lag and everyone will complain that they stepped away from their keyboard for 5 minutes and find themselves in the Death Realm as an Ulbernaut took off their head, but I thought it could be fun to try out a few times.

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
Re: Random Monster Raids on Cities
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 12:43:27 pm »
What do you think the Bronze Gate Fortress is for? ^^
"Here's to lowering caskets of old friends choice and consequence we'll birth a new day with the death of an old and start over, start over.  Here's to burying hatchets in those who you'd never call your friend...we'll birth a new day with the death of an old day and start over, start over!"

StitchedChin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 01:07:56 pm »
There are still plenty of monsters, Rogues, bandits, etc. in the sewers, dungeons, arena and outskirts to stir up some trouble.  Bronze Doors is to protect against monsters and forces we haven't seen or even imagine, yet.  That'll be a great place for a huge scale all out war...  sorry too much LOTR, HP, Eragon for me...

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 01:11:49 pm »
My point is that unless I'm mistaken, this is planned.
"Here's to lowering caskets of old friends choice and consequence we'll birth a new day with the death of an old and start over, start over.  Here's to burying hatchets in those who you'd never call your friend...we'll birth a new day with the death of an old day and start over, start over!"

Kemex

• Traveller
  • - If can be done, then i will code it -
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 02:22:28 pm »
Few days ago, there was an surprise Mob's riot in Platinum mine... Cuttroath ,Huge tefus and Image Consumer \\o//
I enjoyed it, i agree that feature must be implemented soon as possible. (often)  :thumbup:

Anyway, since i am pretty new in PS im still enjoying RPing so much and i hope continue enjoying as i get old in this. :D

Taniquetil

• Hydlaa Resident
  • It's been real. It's been fun. It's been real fun.
    • View Profile
    • Zeitgeist (ty Sangwa)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 02:51:57 pm »
There is always the person who will bring an ulbernaut into Hydlaa for a bit of fun ;D
"Only two things are really infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the former."             ~Albert Einstein

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 02:55:20 pm »
It sure is a good thing Monala knows a handful of hiding places around Hydlaa o_O;

Though she could use a rat stampede to train up...:P
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Waoknie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 03:33:15 pm »
I see there's almost full agreement so far in this thread.

It is fun to see and perhaps be part of these moments. I see we all like it and get such rush out of it.

Unfortunatelly, I have a question:

Why is it ok for a NPC, mob, etc.. to just attack you (and you love it so much!) and not erm... a fellow player?

Don't take me wrong.. I also thought of some answers but I want to listen first.

Kemex

• Traveller
  • - If can be done, then i will code it -
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 04:13:56 pm »
I see there's almost full agreement so far in this thread.

It is fun to see and perhaps be part of these moments. I see we all like it and get such rush out of it.

Unfortunatelly, I have a question:

Why is it ok for a NPC, mob, etc.. to just attack you (and you love it so much!) and not erm... a fellow player?

Don't take me wrong.. I also thought of some answers but I want to listen first.

I thinks that my answer must be in another place, but as you asked it here:

That will be ok, when an penalization system for law's brokers exists.

By example, when you have certains amount of player's kill (that depends upon if you started the fight) you will be prosecuted by your acts or if you manage to scape, you will be chased by the guards (ones specialzed for this job with a cuttroat strengh like if you resists to the arrest ;D) everytime that you enter the ville, where you have reached the Kill limit.  The ban will be only for those villes/citys where you reached your Kill limit.

The only way to remove this city ban is expending some  anoying time in the Jail .  \\o//

Waoknie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 06:41:59 pm »
[I thinks that my answer must be in another place, but as you asked it here:

That will be ok, when an penalization system for law's brokers exists.

I understand some laws and who's entitled to enforce them, Kennex. And your answer is a sample of a good one.

And that's cool.. I've seen a couple of situations of such attacks and they do improve the joy of the game.. Still, The question is more pointed to the fact that there are actions we welcome just because of the source. If the situation was as I expressed, then the set of values gets inverted: People will start a fireball at once! Now, this is the real problem and the reason why devs have such a burden.

I was attacked once near the Plat mine.. to prevent spoilers I'll just say I avoided the attack by accidentally gaining advantage from a particular issue I will not discuss here.
I decided to take part of it anyway and made my move to engage in the action by eluding the 'accident'. It was cool, there was teamwork (from multiple races, guilds and origins that were not comunicating at all a couple of minutes before), of course some died and we had our 15 minutes of fun until I had RL call.. I know by fact it lasted more than that.
And there is the point! The laws and their enforcement have nothing to do with it. Why do we accept a situation depending on the source?. I mean, someone did change the settings at some point to eliminate the possibility of doing such things for the players. And there is a difference between the statement of a law and the chances of free will. The law exists but if the action is impossible to acomplish, then the law is useless. And as a player, you cannot do it, my friend.
Why was it implemented?, one may ask.. I think it is because of this forum partly and our easyness to twist our set of values in order to  backup with faked arguments our will to be untouchable. (in this case)

You can disagree with my opinion but that doesn't matter.. I just want us to focus on the game and what's happening with it, how it's evolving and perhaps, let our tendencies aside and practice some common sense to help a bit. Help the devs to have a clearer path for decisions instead of bombarding them with our selfishness.

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 07:22:39 pm »
I can only speak for myself here, but the main reason I would be against player killing like I think you are suggesting is that it can lead to too much greifing.  Better geared players can destroy newbies with a hit or two, and then camp the return point and just send people back as soon as they respawn.  Sure, you can load the place up with guards, but if new players are one-shot the second they leave the protection of the guards, then PS will clear out fast.

So I think you would be setting up a contradictory situation.  On one hand, the developers want everyone to talk to each other in-game to solve things to promote in game cooperation, and on the other hand you'd be hurting that by making everyone distrust each other.  I know I would quit in a second.  If PK'ing is desired, the game really needs to be balanced better where skill has more say in the matter, and not skills.  Gear should be equalized more, and I don't think PS is designing itself to be that way.  The devs can say otherwise though.

EDIT: Oh, mob raids though are excellent. :)

Waoknie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »
I can only speak for myself here, but the main reason I would be against player killing like I think you are suggesting is that it can lead to too much greifing.  Better geared players can destroy newbies with a hit or two, and then camp the return point and just send people back as soon as they respawn.  Sure, you can load the place up with guards, but if new players are one-shot the second they leave the protection of the guards, then PS will clear out fast.

So I think you would be setting up a contradictory situation.  On one hand, the developers want everyone to talk to each other in-game to solve things to promote in game cooperation, and on the other hand you'd be hurting that by making everyone distrust each other.  I know I would quit in a second.  If PK'ing is desired, the game really needs to be balanced better where skill has more say in the matter, and not skills.  Gear should be equalized more, and I don't think PS is designing itself to be that way.  The devs can say otherwise though.

EDIT: Oh, mob raids though are excellent. :)

Not long ago it was possible. I think it must have been too much of a problem for some but not for me or anyone I knew back then. The scenario you described did happen, of course.. and I think possibly many times but not enough to reach me or the chars I used to hang out with.
This means that the game is perfectly survivable, both IG and out there if u know what I mean.. with those settings.

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 08:59:54 pm »
I remember a good while ago that people would bring Ulbers to the old magic shop gold mine, I thought that added realism and fun, but it got stamped on pretty quick and made against the rules to lead monsters about ;o(
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

Taniquetil

• Hydlaa Resident
  • It's been real. It's been fun. It's been real fun.
    • View Profile
    • Zeitgeist (ty Sangwa)
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 09:16:33 pm »
I don't like that rule at all. Those grindminers should get a wake up call every now and then. It would be great for the plat mine.... :devil:
"Only two things are really infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the former."             ~Albert Einstein

StitchedChin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 09:24:23 pm »
I'm thinking as the game progresses and develops a bigger, fuller community, then natural progression will lead to a full range of players that you see in everyday life, each rewarding enough for all the players... hey, a guy can dream can't he...  That is if monsters become a problem, then monster slayer type of guilds will show up.  If there are lots of distressed citizens in need of a Hero, then the Hero guild will have something to do, guards for hire, all sorts of guilds and job roles, etc.  On the other side, this will allow Evil to do their bidding as in the long run, Good vs. Evil should be evenly matched, depending on the risks/rewards of each side.  Hopefully, over time, Evil will realize that killing early level players is pointless and does not give them the reward they are seeking.  There could be Epic conflicts, no longer needing the NPCs to tell a story.  Course, this may not work as you can never vanquish one Evil or Good group, they just crawl out of Death Realm and back they go, no lasting consequences, or could there be...  It all needs to be revolutionary and never done before in any other game.  And yes, I rack my brain all the time on how to do it.

I always argue that freedom of choice and actions is always better than constricting rules.  Don't let NPCs make and enforce the rules, let the community figure it out... in a perfect online world, of course.  Over time good and order should win...

Good to hear some of this is in the works though.  A bandit, tefu and consumer raid a few days ago?  Darn wish I was around for that.