Poll

Does planeshift seem to lack IC conflict to you?

Yes.
75 (70.8%)
No.
31 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: Conflict?  (Read 6074 times)

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Conflict?
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2008, 10:01:12 am »
I like mining in the prison. There must be someway, though, to help out noobs that get stuck on the wrong side of the law. Let's say a noob kills his friend, another noob, and gets captured. He is sentenced to mine 20 stones. But he has no mining skills, and no way to train them! I support the forced mining, but there must be something for people with no mining skill, and no pp or trias to train it...

Also this stone must be slow to mine, even for people with maxed out mining. Otherwise, some might be out in seconds, while low leveled miners might be stuck for hours for the same crime.

But i do like the prison map.
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2008, 10:22:25 am »
I'm assuming the convict will get a free pick (because all their items they had while captured would be stashed somewhere and returned after paying for their crime in labour.
I'm also assuming there would be a trainer for these noobs up to say rank 5
And the PPs will be dead when we have these labour camps and a system with much more sense in play.

IMO your skill should matter, so miners will be at an advantage there, but not so big. I don't know how it is now in game, but a guy with say rank 20 wont dig 4 tims better than a guy with say rank 5. It wil be 2 times at most.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2008, 11:40:22 am »
store valuable items in a bank?
Valuable items are to be used, not storing. Why do you even want an item you can't use because it is too valuable and it is good only for storing  ::| ?

Check the banker sometime.  He already has tabs for items, they just aren't implemented yet.  Just about every game has some kind of off character storage.  I assume that in real life you don't carry around all your belongings?  There are a lot of reasons for storage.  Store extra ore and tradeskill materials for those times when you want to make something for a friend... that's the main reason I use it in other games. 

Don't guild halls already give you storage?  I don't know.  Just heard some indicate that they had stuff in them for other people.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:41:56 am by MustangMR »

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2008, 12:19:03 pm »
You are not commenting the quote. please do so or dont at all.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2008, 03:07:19 pm »
the topic is ranging all over the place now.

Focus.

There will likely be a prison at some point (far far in the future) but remember there is nothing wrong with killing someone in a duel, dueling is an acceptable form of conflict resolution under the Octarchy.

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2008, 03:17:07 pm »
You are not commenting the quote. please do so or dont at all.

Yes, I did.  If you don't understand the answers, don't ask the questions.  (Sorry for going off-topic one last time).

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2008, 03:51:44 pm »
Question: what type of conflict are you asking about? and on what scale? Intrapersonal conflict, on a smaller scale, if it has been going on most likely wouldn't draw the attention of all player of PS, just those who are immediately involved. But anything larger will most likely draw attention to how close to the setting it is.  And i'm just going to assume that interpersonal conflicts, for those with multiple personalities, isn't going affect much of us. :)

and if dueling is an acceptable form of resolution, how come game mechanics doesn't quite agree? I'm not 100% sure on this, feel free to correct me, but outside the arena, isn't there an option to give the final blow or something?

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2008, 04:23:48 pm »
If you agree to a duel, then it is legal to kill or be killed by your foe, but not to use means to inflict true death. Attacking someone without them agreeing to a duel is illegal. Since we do not have a system to punish that yet, it is simply not allowed.

Also, the decree is 300 yours old, so there will be additional laws not stated in that decree or others. The laws are not completely defined yet.

RichardShru

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2008, 05:41:30 pm »
In my opinion, there is alot of potential for conflict in the PS world. First off, you have a government that is semi-democratic semi-hereditary rule. In addition, you have creatures that are "attacking" the people under the rule of said government. In additon, you have many different guilds (all with their own agenda) looking to further their own goals. From there, you have different religions that are opposed with eachother. From there you have different individual characters that are looking to further their own goals. Now, all you really need to do is light a match under all this and you have conflict. lol. Pesonally, I always did like player driven conflict. If their should be anything done on a large scale, I think it should be set into motion by the players. Who knows? Maybe something intresting will come if you wait long enough.

Geckolous

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2008, 10:59:53 pm »

Gameplay mechanic's Idea:
[/b]

Being able to force conflict can give RP a 'real' edge, and allows 'evil' players some support.
PVP zones and similar idea's are a pain - as pointed out early in this post, they often end up unbalancing the dynamics.

What if players could collectively choose to enable or disable conflict in particular areas?

For example, an attack on the plat mine....

A guild wants to force out the plat miners and corner the market...
They turn up and start using a /conflict command
Before fighting can start, there has to be a 2/3 majority that want to fight (have used /conflict)

As tension rises, players start getting messages like:
"Everyone seems a little tense today"
"The air is charged"
"You've started catching some evil glances"
etc

When it gets to 'breaking point' (just like a real mob!), a 1 min warning is given.
"You have 1min to leave the area before fighting will break out"

Define the zone of conflict being a distance from each player (eg 50m), and
wherever that zone has a 2/3 majority, it is highlighted (eg a red effect on the ground)
and players can attack each other as if in a guild war.

Conflict can be stoped by more people choosing /peace, or
by having extra people (eg guards, others players) entering the fight (while choosing /peace)
until the fighting forces looses it's 2/3 majority and tension starts to ebb.

This way fighting is easy to get into...
Fighting supports roleplaying goals....
Anyone who doesn't want to fight gets to run away...
And area's can be 'tamed' by more /peace(ful) players and made safe again.

Last thing would be to add guards behaviour so they will rush into a fight to break it up (/peace)
and stand a very good chance of surviving while they fight (make then extremely strong)
This makes it possible to start a fight near town, but really unwise to continue it!

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2008, 02:12:36 am »
Oh wow, I really like this idea. It seems to me that it will mean living in Yklium would certainly be a lot more interesting (and dangerous!) if this was the case. I've never heard of an idea remotely similar to this before (though I'm not exactly a forum vet, so I don't really know if similar ideas have come up before). I'll be interested to see what the devs and more experienced players have to say about this idea.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2008, 10:35:13 pm »
I like the idea.

Of course the tavern would be /conflict(ed) almost all the time...XD
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

RichardShru

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2008, 10:38:58 pm »
I am not going to comment one way or the other, but I am going to say this was obviously well thought out and I applaud you for it.  \\o//

Geckolous

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2008, 10:46:53 pm »
:)

Nice to get such good feedback!

It would be great to see particular area's often be /conflict(ed) lol
I can just picture the taven casting a red glow out the doorway, an easy warning for new players that "there be danger".

Watching (and getting hints via messages) as the fights are broken up would also be fun.

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2008, 10:51:35 pm »
Sheesh Geckolous, stop having such good ideas all of the time!
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!