Author Topic: The Official Phase Two City Contest: Amdeneir  (Read 61829 times)

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Phase Two City Contest: Amdeneir
« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2009, 05:12:24 am »
I've had RL issues pop up, but with any luck I'll get more work on the cart done soon.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 11, 2009, 10:08:24 am »
difficulties, difficulties, difficulties.
One would think it is as simple as modelling buildings with textuyres and laying them out together, but unfortunately there are lots of unforeseen issues.
I'm doing the latter and since some long time i'm trying to solve a problem. If you are interested what problem, head there to blender support forums

So, yeah, i'm looking and looking and the time is passing.
From time to time i try asking devs, but it is not like i'm getting a solution within a day. Everyone uses different ways of talking, use different irc channels, sometimes they read forum pms, sometimes they don't. So, weaks are passing and sometimes i find out something after months.
I'm not very happy about that, but there is not much i can do. I gues that's the way things go. I really don't know how to make this go faster.

So yes, i'm reporting how are the things going.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 11, 2009, 11:32:54 am »
Contacting XilliX is a damned good way to get things done. Incidentally, this is also one of the reasons we ask people to actually join the team to contribute, internally we have a lot more cohesion and access to aid.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:40:27 am by Xillix Queen of Fools »

Getoran

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 11, 2009, 01:15:18 pm »
Contacting XilliX is a damned good way to get things done.

Is there a mailing list for developers everyone can join? I personally don't really like the forum as a communications plattform as you have to check it regulary for new topics. Getting all topics discussed directly into your inbox is much more convinient.

Incidentally, this is also one of the reasons we ask people to actually join the team to contribute, internally we have a lot more cohesion and access to aid.

I was thinking a while if I should apply but I have to tell you, that your recruitment page really frightens me off. Maybe you should rewrite it with the focus on encouraging people. At the moment it reads like a Borg assimilation.

So what's the best way to get into PS development? Normally I would start trying to fix bugs and send in patches but in this case this is not that easy as many bugs depend on the game content. So what's the recommended way to get your hands dirty if you want to start as a contributer without being assimilated. I really don't have time atm to hold deadlines. What I'd like to start with are topics where you can work as needed (like fixing bugs) without a deadline in your neck.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #259 on: June 11, 2009, 02:36:46 pm »
Contacting XilliX is a damned good way to get things done.

Is there a mailing list for developers everyone can join? I personally don't really like the forum as a communications plattform as you have to check it regulary for new topics. Getting all topics discussed directly into your inbox is much more convinient.

Incidentally, this is also one of the reasons we ask people to actually join the team to contribute, internally we have a lot more cohesion and access to aid.

I was thinking a while if I should apply but I have to tell you, that your recruitment page really frightens me off. Maybe you should rewrite it with the focus on encouraging people. At the moment it reads like a Borg assimilation.

So what's the best way to get into PS development? Normally I would start trying to fix bugs and send in patches but in this case this is not that easy as many bugs depend on the game content. So what's the recommended way to get your hands dirty if you want to start as a contributer without being assimilated. I really don't have time atm to hold deadlines. What I'd like to start with are topics where you can work as needed (like fixing bugs) without a deadline in your neck.

we are a bit off topic anyway i assume engine? please come to #planeshift-build on irc.freenode.org ;)

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 12, 2009, 06:58:56 am »
Just a little offtopic, ya.
If anyone actually want to help solving the issue i have written about, don't stop yourself, you are more than welcomed!
Xillix, i have sent you a pm yesterday! (just in case you didn't notice)

Bajazag

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 12, 2009, 07:47:06 am »
just wondering if Material Buffer (§ Bulk Texture Change) may have some utility...

Getoran

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 12, 2009, 08:00:23 am »
If anyone actually want to help solving the issue i have written about, don't stop yourself, you are more than welcomed!

If you can't use blender itself to fix your problem, you might be able to edit the blender or crystalspace files directly.

The Blender file format is rather complex so you have to write a tool which does the conversion:

http://www.atmind.nl/blender/mystery_ot_blend.html
http://www.atmind.nl/blender/blender-sdna.html

A better way is probably to edit the crystal space xml files instead of the blender files. The XML format is rather simple and can be edited with a normal text editor.

http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/XMLWorld_Tutorial

Remove all <texture>...</texture> tags you don't need and update the names of the textures of all meshes which reference a removed texture. This can be done with a simple perl script or by search & replace within a text editor.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 08:05:04 am by Getoran »

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 12, 2009, 08:44:05 am »
manual editation of the world is out of question because from .blend we export to 3dmax and then someone in the team exports that to CS ~!1

but teh link which Bajazag posted looks interesting!

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 12, 2009, 09:34:14 pm »
This borg thing is a common misconception.

If you want to help with bugs join #planeshift-build, go to the bug tracker, and start fixing. Being on the team isn't some draconian slave driving deal, just imagine that our deadlines are soft but having them is in the interest of team synergy.

I think Nekodemuss also has this fear, it's unfounded.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2009, 09:57:09 am »
I don't know what about Nekodemuss
As about me, errr, I am really not expecting any scarry borg assimilation and it is not about devs, but more about me if i'm trying to become a dev or not.

just wondering if Material Buffer (§ Bulk Texture Change) may have some utility...
Ultimatelly this didn't work.
I believe that's because blender has very little support for selecting object based on their texture assigned by UV/image editor. This support is near nonexistant.
It is extremely hard to find help about this, because everytime you say texture, you hear material. And people simply don't realise that materials doesn't affect at all images assigned by the UV/image editor.

it is possible to solve the problem manually.... but it is somewhat long and annoying process.

Bajazag

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 13, 2009, 01:08:49 pm »
um...you append the files. what if you link?

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 14, 2009, 09:08:23 am »
then nothing appears and additionally the append function won't worka anymore, untill you restart blender.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 08, 2009, 07:15:00 am »
small update from me

I'm not being on freenode irc, because i have got a new ISP, which is not loosing every tenth packet and thus has much better response time.
But appearently my new ISP is an ass#%$^ and they are blocking freenode irc connections, so i'm not available through irc ;s
I'm working to solve the issue, but it may be impossible ;\

Maybe this was a different kind of a problem, but we will see what kind of problems my ISP is preparing for me.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 07:51:20 am by Nikodemus »

Oromir

• Traveller
  • In game now as Oromenci.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 08, 2009, 11:21:01 am »
small update from me

I'm not being on freenode irc, because i have got a new ISP, which is not loosing every tenth packet and thus has much better response time.
But apparently my new ISP is an ass#%$^ and they are blocking freenode irc connections, so i'm not available through irc
I'm working to solve the issue, but it may be impossible ;\

Maybe this was a different kind of a problem, but we will see what kind of problems my ISP is preparing for me.

Have you contacted your ISP and verified that they are blocking port 6667?

If you go to freenode.org, you will see that they are available via a number of ports, and it might be worth trying some of these as well.
However, going back to your ISP, Its not normal for them to police the various ports, and if they do verify that they are indeed blocking this port, you need to ask why. Explain that you need 6667 for the IRC protocol, and its just not fair play to go around blocking ports that are used by other internet protocols.

The other thing to try is a cgi-irc connection if all else fails. Also, check that its not your adsl router that might have a firewall/NAT up. Obvious, I know, but even the most technical of us forget these things sometimes.