Author Topic: Robbery  (Read 2083 times)

Izzabella

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Outlaws
Robbery
« on: May 20, 2008, 01:06:50 pm »
Okay I hope this is in the right spot but its just an idea I have and thought perhaps I should post it out here so that others might read it and be a little more willing to help out us bad folks ;)

It has been my experience in playing both good and evil chars when I come across and evil char most of them are very good role players. I mean we kinda have to be considering most game mechanics don't support us right now. Well other than the dueling system but I find most people eaither won't fight or they call in tells OOC'ly for backup and decline all duels until their 5 friends show up.  Or they just walk right though a group of us blocking their pathway as if we did not stand there. But thats not my point...my point is that when we rob someone we are not asking for 75k or something..heck we are not even asking for 1k a lot of times the tactic of 'pay or die' is used...you can choose to fight us....we kill you and you get a trip to the DR and don't' have to pay us a single tria...OR you kill us and don't have to pay a tria and get to continue on your way.  Or you can stand there and do a little RP with us..maybe shake in your boots some and hand us over a few hexa and maybe an octa and tells us that's all you have please don't kill you and we'd be happy. I mean you have no idea how exciting it is to do a successful  robbery, and to be honest I am thrilled whether I get 10,000 tria or 10 tria. I do it for the RP of it and to put some conflict into the game and keep it from being a fairy tale of goodie goodie hero's with nothing bad to ever be heroic over.. not for  the tria..in fact there have been several times where I've said in an OOC tell that they don't even have to really pay me they can RP it..and or if they want I can give it back OOC latter..

So basically what I am asking from all of you out there..next time some dark and shady figure puts a dagger in your back and says hand over your tria..flip him a circle if nothing else reward him for his RP. I have also been known to do that on my good chars (yes I have non outlaw chars :P) where I've told the thief OOC in a tell that he did a good job and once with the char someone attempted to rob that she would have given him all she had because she was  weak and scared but someone happened to walk by at the right time and see what was going on and stop it...I told him he did a good job OOC and I gave him a few circles for his RP and told him to keep it up.

We can't all play the heros and good guys..it would make for a pretty boring world and you have to admit ;) so give us a hand guys...its not like 50 tria here or there is going to make or break you.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:12:37 pm by Izzabella »

SovHed

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • ADHosting, Hosting PsMirror.org
Re: Robbery
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 01:12:48 pm »
Sov's Quote of the day:

If you don't want to RP both the good and the evil sides of life you are a pretty sh*tty roleplayer

And yes it is nice to have some support from the community.
Sov Hed, Leader of the Thieves of Yliakum
Owner of ADHosting(www.ad-sl.com), sponsor of psmirror.org (www.psmirror.org)

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 01:33:24 pm »
I agree fully to Izzabella

This might sound strange, but being robbed was always fun! ;D

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 01:56:10 pm »
Do you mean that my role play is not good enough because I do not like to be violent? I rather enjoyed role playing with you while you had a fight with your boyfriend and I tried to comfort you that all would be ok. So after our little role play, should I have asked you to rob me so you would have felt better? What is so wrong with being a 'good guy'? My hope was to be able to have people come to me with their problems and I could come up with answers that would help them along. That did not happen though. Again are you saying this game is fun when it is violent? We used to have a lot of fun in the beginning I THOUGHT. Maybe not.
* Mathy Stockington wonders
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Izzabella

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Outlaws
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 01:58:35 pm »
Do you mean that my role play is not good enough because I do not like to be violent? I rather enjoyed role playing with you while you had a fight with your boyfriend and I tried to comfort you that all would be ok. So after our little role play, should I have asked you to rob me so you would have felt better? What is so wrong with being a 'good guy'? My hope was to be able to have people come to me with their problems and I could come up with answers that would help them along. That did not happen though. Again are you saying this game is fun when it is violent? We used to have a lot of fun in the beginning I THOUGHT. Maybe not.
* Mathy Stockington wonders

Aww now i don't mean it like that and you know it :P
I mean in general when someone gets robbed...

and besides if no one was to upset anyone then you'd  not have a purpose to comfort anyone ;P

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 04:46:50 pm »
Do you mean that my role play is not good enough because I do not like to be violent?

Well, if you're going to roleplay at all, you better expect some violence... If you're going to live at all, you better expect some violence. There's violence everywhere, and even if you don't like it, you might be a part of it. Sometimes the answer to violence is violence. So, if you don't want to be robbed, you'll probably have to be a little violent, you know?

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 06:11:27 pm »
I agree with Izzabella. And I am frustrated sometimes, too,  when we set up a crime roleplay, and more than half of the players just run through a bunch of cloaked mean looking thugs.

Do you mean that my role play is not good enough because I do not like to be violent?

Noone is speaking of forcing your roleplay onto others. When Orgonwukh robs someone alone, there are the same options as in real life:
1. Handing the money.
2. Fighting.
3. Calling for help.
4. Running away.
5. Trying to persuade the robber not to commit a crime.

The same applies to real life:
1. If someone threatens me with a gun in a lonely alley, I hand him my purse.
2. If someone threatens me and I see no other way out than fighting (use your imagination and be inspired by various action movies), then I fight.
3. If someone tries to rob me in a crowded area, I call for help.
4. If a guy weighing 150 kg threatens me with a knife on the street, I run away (I weigh way less, btw ;) )
5. If the robber seems to be doubtful about his deed, I might try to convince him, leaving the other options open though.

If your char is a peaceful one, options 3., 4. or 5. might be the char's choice (3. not when you are on a lonely road).

In one of the Outlaws' roadblocks we blocked the passage to Gugrontid with about 7 members. So noone could have run through that without any violent action or negotiation in my opinion. We explained the options OOCly, and some roleplayers took the opportunity to fight/roleplay/run away. I was waiting for a lynch mob in vain (I would have appreciated that). However, a lot of players just ran through us, not responding at all.

I don't get rid of the feeling that the 'goodies' think we are doing crimes in game to harass them OOCly. And to affirm Izzabella, it does not pay off to be a criminal. A roleplay like the road block takes some planning and time to execute it. If the participants would mine for the same time duration, we could make at least 1000 times that money.

Geckolous

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 06:19:59 pm »
Would this idea be helpful?

Izzabella

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Outlaws
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 06:32:44 pm »
well I am simply talking about pure RP and just giving us a hand every now and then...I am not talking about things are yet to be implemented ;) but I do like your idea however its just a bit off topic for what I was going for.

and thanks Orgonwukh  for the examples very nicely done! (I just hope you carry a wallet and not a purse :P)

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 09:45:24 pm »
I'll save everyone the trouble of reading through a long post, that of course would have been genius, by simply saying I agree with Izzy :P (and save myself the trouble of writing one).
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Prolix

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 09:55:27 pm »
You see, what I think you should do is find some way to get their attention: sing songs; have mock battles, you can use crafted knives for that right now; or something else and then when they are paying attention to you turn on them. Going for the direct approach is less likely to be successful as they might not even notice you. It is tough I am sure and I sympathize. Still I am likely one to just bowl my way through obliviously. 

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 10:01:20 pm »
You see, what I think you should do is find some way to get their attention: sing songs; have mock battles, you can use crafted knives for that right now; or something else and then when they are paying attention to you turn on them. Going for the direct approach is less likely to be successful as they might not even notice you. It is tough I am sure and I sympathize. Still I am likely one to just bowl my way through obliviously. 

Yeah, I agree with Prolix...While people should take the time when they see a group of people to see whats going on (as often they are trying to do something of an rp sort, not just standing around). However most players, already busy doing whatever it is they do, rarely care to take the time to stop for fear that they will waste those few precious moments for nothing. Attracting them, using some kind of bait, would be helpful and to your advantage. Plus I'm sure creativing inventive traps is something you can do  ;)
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Hrothbert

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 10:06:01 pm »
 :offtopic: I see a similar thing happening with the miners because I have spent hours at the mines and heard narry a conversation most seem to stay in their group or guild chat oblivious to the people around them, Same happens with blockades get doin what you always do and forget all about the fact that this is a RP game as well as MMO, The irony of that is that to have a MMO is so that you can interact with others and not just beat the game.

Prolix

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 10:09:37 pm »
Most of the time when I see people standing around apparently doing nothing I assume they are busy chatting OOCly through tells or channels. If I see chat bubbles or the main tab flashing I might look at it promptly.  Also I think you could use /shout and chase them, they might let you catch them if they know what you are about.

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 10:25:11 pm »
Very convincing arguments, be sure to rob me sometime :thumbup:   I don't think there's much you can do, some people are dedicated to RP and others to powerleveling.  We know who is really having more fun.... their loss.
Censorship FTW.