Author Topic: Approved guilds?  (Read 9350 times)

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Approved guilds?
« on: May 29, 2008, 02:44:05 pm »
Settings is considering marking some guilds as "Approved."

Before we do this we are curious what you, the players, think about this.

What benefits should having an "Approved" guild grant?

Should those guilds get a sticky?

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: Approved guilds?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 02:57:38 pm »
Would be nice to see what guilds settings thinks fits what they are working on the best, but other then support on the forum, I dont think they should get anything ingame or it will force people for ooc reasons to join these guilds just to get whatever extra they have received from settings due to being a "chosen one" .

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 03:17:01 pm »
I like the idea, and I think you should indeed sticky the approved guilds. I agree with Caarrie, no in game benefits, except maybe guildhouses should be reserved for approved guilds? Not sure though, it could upset many people.

Irgendwer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:22:54 pm »
From my experience with another game, I can only say: Don't!

"Approving" of guilds quickly leads down the slippery slope of being accused of playing favourites. It may not matter much now, but once there is anything implemented, that enforces any kind of competition, envy, greed and jealousy are likely to show their ugly heads. Remember: Social status alone can be something to fight for (and being "approved" can mean a lot in terms of status).

Also it will be very likely, that you waste a lot of time negotiating with guild about approval status. There will be those who barely meet the criterias and others who barely miss them, but feel that they are not doing any worse then the former (imaging going to kindergarden, asking the children to draw something and then reward the best pictures with candy).

Last but not least: Guilds change with time, as they loose and gain members. If you want to approve of guilds, you'll also have to think about revoking approval (back to the kindergarden metapher: Try taking candy from a child).

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:10:12 pm »
What Irgendwer says makes sense to me. We do not want to have any bad feelings if we can avoid them. There probably is enough of that anyway. This is a game, let us all have fun.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:15:20 pm »
See now, that is just the trouble around here, can't do anything fun.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 04:30:43 pm »
I think some guilds should get the "approved" sticker, since it allows an enhancement of roleplay. Currently, guilds are limited in their actions since they can easily be accused of claiming things they shouldn't claim. For example, take a Laanx guild holding a sermon in a temple. Currently, they can't occupy the temple for the time the sermon lasts, theoretically, everyone could go and do anything they like inside the temple. Being "approved" would give them a certain claim to the temple and allow them to create a real sermon athmosphere, without others doing whatever they like. Approval of guilds would be something that pushes the game towards an authentic athmosphere. In return, approved guilds could get their own place within PlaneShift, like a guildhouse, or have certain rights like running their own mine.

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 04:33:21 pm »
Sounds like a good idea in general, but I would also avoid granting any IG benefits.  Also, approved guilds should be told from the start that they will be subject to re-evaluation and that their status may be revoked at any time should they stray too far from the settings.
"Here's to lowering caskets of old friends choice and consequence we'll birth a new day with the death of an old and start over, start over.  Here's to burying hatchets in those who you'd never call your friend...we'll birth a new day with the death of an old day and start over, start over!"

Prolix

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 04:35:02 pm »
I would be in favor of it if it was completely automated within the guild system in game with clearly defined parameters as to what will prevent approval as well as what will establish it. The very most that human intervention by the game officials should be is explanation of those terms not understood due to language problems. The parameter should be in the form of a check list on the guild information screen available to the leader showing which positive requirements have been met and which negative blockers need to be purged.

If the officials are not happy with how it works out then they can tweak the parameters. Doing so would of course risk charges of favoritism. Doing anything incurs that risk too though so consult widely before you implement anything.

I do kind of wonder which current guilds might qualify for this status. I suspect the recent, lauded, religion based ones might. How many of the elder one would I cannot say.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 04:44:23 pm »
I think it is a good idea. Then the newer players can see what a guild has to have in order to be an "Approved" guild in game. I would avoid the IG benifits though. Something tells me that is just asking for players to start screaming favoritism.
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Siteri Kidachi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 04:53:59 pm »
Approved guilds should be able to have some greater impact on the world. Maybe GM events could involve the guilds in some way, or NPCs could mention them as established parts of the world.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 05:09:03 pm »
Approved guilds should be able to have some greater impact on the world. Maybe GM events could involve the guilds in some way, or NPCs could mention them as established parts of the world.

then what happens if the guild dies or something happens to make it no longer a part of the game?

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 05:12:47 pm »
Yes, it'd be a good idea but then somehow I think that there should be a benefit IG to it. That would encourage them to fall in line with settings.

Cebot

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 05:18:38 pm »

then what happens if the guild dies or something happens to make it no longer a part of the game?

Then they become part of Yliakums history.

However, am against this idea, just because I think the risk is too high that it will look like favoritism. Xillix, perhaps present some ideas which you have so far for the "approved guilds". Deciding on it might be much easier with information on how it could be implemented.
So why do I love when I still feel pain?
When does it end, when is my work done?
Why do I fight and why do I feel that
I carry a sword, that I carry a sword through a battlefield?

VNV Nation - Joy

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 05:23:25 pm »
It doesn't really matter if it looks like favoritism as long as it isn't.  Devs should not hold off on good ideas for fear of alienating the over-sensitive.
"Here's to lowering caskets of old friends choice and consequence we'll birth a new day with the death of an old and start over, start over.  Here's to burying hatchets in those who you'd never call your friend...we'll birth a new day with the death of an old day and start over, start over!"