Author Topic: Bored  (Read 7100 times)

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Bored
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 07:11:26 am »
I thought to write this thread because I read this in another thread:

"And I didn't say I was getting lonely, just bored."

I did not want this to become a battle. I instead thought it would be interesting to see what others thought. This is a great game. We make it what we what it to be. May it be role playing or leveling. Of course it is sad when our friends leave for whatever the reason, bordom or real life or anything else. Again I just wanted to hear what people thought and not to make it such fuss about it.

I still want to know why people get bored and move on. Maybe people can also tell me why they come back as well.

Let us do this peacefully though please!!!

Thank you,

Mathy.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 09:01:19 am »
i've been bored for awhile but never left, been here for like... 3-4 years now... can't really remember exactly :P
i don't really have an answer why i'm bored but... maybe it's becouse i've lost my first friends in here or maybe becouse i havn't found much todo lately or... well bluntly i don't have any real idea why i'm bored i just am not that i really care but... :P ;D

Luzino

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 09:39:19 am »
I got bored with the game for a while. Cause there wasn't much going on for my char. The thrill of something new (i.e. getting to know the game) had worn off and I didn't really know what to do with my char ingame. Found myself pretty alone there, didn't know what to do next, had run out of ideas, spent hours just making him stand on some hill staring up at the crystal thinking about "his life"... my mind was blank - so I sent him off on a long vacation with his family and kept myself busy with something else for a month or so. At that point I wasn't sure if he'd ever return or if he'd decide to stay with his folks and find himself a nice girl in his home village. ;-)

But I did come back to the game, just to nose around and see what others were up to - sheer curiosity -  and suddenly there was something going on again. Nothing special actually, just sat around listening to other people's chat at the tavern, stuff like that. But it brought my motivation back, I got active again, met new people - had fun again.

It might wear off again at some point and I might decide to leave for a while cause I got bored. You never know. There are times in life when you get bored. And maybe boring stretches for your char are quite realistic, too.
So much to do - and so little time...

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 09:55:21 am »
Why are roleplayers bored...

It could be that the "really awesome" roleplayers prefer nitpicking on not so experienced roleplayers over proving their abilities by setting a plot that will last for months and amaze all participants, so "really awesome" roleplayers are annoyed by the averageness, average roleplayers are annoyed by the nitpicking, and beginners are afraid to even try? ... ;)

This was an exaggeration of a half-way blind point of view. At least I hope so. :D

Fortunately I have witnessed lots of great plays of roleplayers who just were clever enough to use the most basic rule of roleplaying: Start with an average, imperfect character. Superheros tend to turn into superannoyances. Playing an average character is not boring if you concentrate on the tiny details that make him just not really average, but interesting.

The lower the expectations, the smaller a possible disappointment.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 11:16:07 am »
Lolitra applauds LigH's observations.
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 11:59:35 am »
Now I am beginning to understand. Boredom comes from us not the settings or the game. So our role plays die and we get bored. We loose friends we were role playing with and it hard to make new friends sometimes. I do agree playing a character that is not the biggest and the best to start is a better way to role play LigH. As with anything, it takes time to create just the right ideal and it must be hard if it dies after all the work that went into it.

Am I right?

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 02:54:05 pm »
I get bored quite often, actually. Sometimes it's hard to find people to roleplay with, and when I do, it's hard to get involved in their roleplay due to the fact that it's some sort of crisis that doesn't involve me.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2008, 03:13:11 pm »
Time spent here is time lost rping :P

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 03:20:57 pm »
Or improving Role Play Xillix. There is something to learn in all this.

Keep the responses coming.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 03:23:23 pm »
I still want to get a little more of a feel for the community before I really start off in this game. So far all I've really done is observe the tavern. I also want to get some more comments and corrections on my roleplaying post.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 03:32:59 pm »
Shaman you have given me an idea. I am glad you posted your thoughts.
* Mathy Stockington thinks of the best way to put my thoughts into words and will return.

StitchedChin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 05:10:13 pm »
I'm not bored... yet, but understand that I will be someday.  Humans will always get bored at some point and at different points in time, and that is just a fact of nature.  But I say it has everything to do with the game and roleplaying in general, which should be expected, and especially in a game in Alpha mode.  Friends and players probably also left because of other reasons, not just boredom, but I'll just stick with my boredom theory as applied by my full spectrum theory:

My full spectrum is that there is a full array of everything.  If you see a car, there will be people with a vast array of opinions on the car, and no two will be exactly the same.  Ranging from complete disgust to complete love of the car and everywhere in between.  So for boredom for PS, there will always be a wide range of boredom which is connected to the elements available in the game, on a time frame.

An example is if you sit 1000 people in 1000 seperate rooms with nothing but themselves to keep them entertained.  Some won't last a minute before they want to leave and others may last til they die.  Now you throw a ball in the room, suddenly some of them will stick around a bit longer, others will leave quicker because they don't want to be in a room with a ball, but if the overall time frame of people remaining in the room has increased, then it is a positive added element.  Now add a skunk, and watch the room clear, bad add.  Keep adding and taking away elements, and you'll see different effects.  The trick is to have enough elements and the right combination in the room to give you the best lasting power for the majority of people.  But, there will never be a perfect answer, there will always be a full spectrum of opinions, and people will always leave over time, but you can however extend the time frame.  So after 10 years instead of just having 5 people left in the game when no elements have changed, you can have 10,000 people in the game.  Eh, not a perfected theory yet, but always a work in progress.  Oh, and everyone gets bored, just some quicker than others.  Shoot, some can keep from getting bored until the day they die, but if time and death wasn't a factor, they'd get bored someday.

In PS, the "room" is set up with elements, a fixed amount currently, the game is in Alpha after all.  But, with roleplaying there is one great wild card, everyone's imagination.  I think imagination and game elements/settings can feed off of each other though and expand the time frame before boredom effects us all greatly.  But, it is to be expected that boredom will always kick in eventually, especially if the game elements stay constant or even degrade.

To get back to the basic question, I'm not bored yet.  Joining a guild has helped keep things entertaining, I still have goals that I want to try and reach, mining isn't so bad since I usually try to make the best of it and chit chat with other miners (IC of course), and the quests are painful, but keep me busy.  I have a pretty decent imagination, but do not like the serious roleplays.  I'd prefer adventure or comedic roleplays over any sort of drama.  And text based roleplaying will only get you so far over the long term.  /me scratches my head is nice, but more effective to a larger audience if you see someone actually scratching their head.  The imagination I think is the key, but if you put 100 people in an empty room, the "fun" will only last for so long until people get bored.  Elements and the prospect of PS keeps bringing in new people, but the game and the imagination need to feed off of each other in order extend the time frame of the boredom spectrum.

"There is nothing wrong with boredom, only giving up on finding new ways not to be bored."

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 06:45:02 pm »
""Boredom comes from a boring mind." <-- Metalica

I've met and played guitar with the lead guitar player of Metalica.  He didn't have much of a mind to be bored with. :P  Don't even remember his name now he was so uninspiring.  Don't know if the lead singer was any better, but I never found much in their music.  Just personal opinion.  I doubt many of you would be inspired by the music I like. 

Lack of boredom is thinking that your every thought is original... it's not.  <me> :)

We all get bored and find ourselves at dead ends once in a while.  Boredom is just a respite while trying to find another challenge to overcome, be it a game, a new challenge in an old game, or, god forbid, something in RL(tm).  Obviously I'm bored now or else I'd be doing something more interesting than responding to a thread about boredom.  Some days, I'd give anything for a few minutes of boredom.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2008, 07:03:21 pm »
I must admit that all I was going to say was said by StitchedChin. Good job.

StitchedChin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 09:45:53 pm »
Amazing!  Even I get lost with what I'm saying when I ramble.  Glad my points came across.  I'm going to try to be more friendly and roleplayer-ish going forward (once the PS server finishes rebooting, that is).  I'd like to reiterate as many great ones have said, too, do not ask what PS can do for you, but what you can do for PS...