Author Topic: [Guidelines] Where is your character from?  (Read 2675 times)

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
[Guidelines] Where is your character from?
« on: June 11, 2008, 01:51:48 am »
You are on the streets of this new city for the first time. Your eyes gaze at the surrounding structures and the bustle of people. A passing Klyros stops as he notices your travel-dusty clothing. He smiles and bows.

"Greetings, newcomer! Welcome to our fine city. You will not find a better place in the entire realm. Let me treat you to one of our best local brews in the tavern and show you around. Where do you hail from, friend?"

You pause for a moment before giving your introduction and history you spent hours thinking up. "Well met! I will accept your offer, though I doubt your best drink can compare with the ales of Sinnitaria. Lead the way."

The Klyros nods and asks, "I don't think I have heard of that city before. What level is it on?"

You notice the odd look on the Klyros' face as you answer. "It is far past the Stone Labyrinths and through a portal to my homeworld. The journey took many months, but I had to come see the wonder that is Yliakum. It is not half of..." You trail off as you notice the Klyros slowly backing away from you.

"Nevermind, sir..." the Klyros says, "I think I will have that drink on my own."

What went wrong? The answer to: "Where are you from?" One often made mistake stems from that question. In an effort to create interesting and unique characters, it is very tempting to make them come from some exotic world or mysterious city no one has ever seen before, with an equally exotic and mysterious history. Even the best writers and roleplayers will find this background ill received by other players, and may find themselves in situations like the one above.

You can be creative in writing about where your character came from, but you must do it within certain bounds and with some courtesy to other players.

1- Don't try to outdo other players or the Setting of PlaneShift. Make your story and home interesting, but keep it within reason. It puts other players in an awkward situation if they have to try to either accept your outlandish claims, see your character as insane, or explain out of character why you could not have come from that place. It is not pleasant in any case.

2- Your character was born in Yliakum. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. There are no unapproved distant kingdoms beyond the Stone Labyrinths or on the surface. No character has been to the surface (if indeed there is a surface). There are no current portals to or from other worlds. There are no mysterious hidden cities that no one has ever heard of before.

3- ALL race (Kran and Lemur aside) homelands and histories are lost to the past, and have been so for hundreds of years. No character is old enough to have come through the portals or remember why there is no record of what happened to the homelands. There is an In-Character reason for that, and it is not open for debate. Kadiakos is also off limits as a birthplace. As far as all current characters go, there is only Yliakum.

4- Your character was not born in a city that was destroyed in a great race war. That is final.

5- Yliakum is not relatively large. Any point can be reached in a matter of days.

6- No part of Yliakum allows slavery.

7- That does not mean you have to settle for mundane if you do not wish. As you have read in Character Creation, there have been many good and bad happenings in the past. Creatures or bandits could have attacked your village (but do not make yourself the only cliché survivor). Perhaps you were born in the Stone Labyrinths or other interesting (existing) place, such as the Temple of Laanx. There is a lot of leeway in what you can do as long as you use a bit of common sense.

So, go forth with your new character and make your imprint on the (existing) world.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:59:35 am by Under the moon »

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
Re: [Guidelines] Where is your character from?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:57:35 am »
Finally someone made this... Good job Ut'moo.

...But you made two sixes.  :P

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 02:05:49 am »
Utm, what drove you to post this?

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:56:35 am »
I guess it will be easier once all the races have settlements on the first level.  :-X

Ceraline

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 05:20:49 am »
Hi UtM... without disagreeing with your overall premise, which I know has long been a bugbear of yourself and others, some of the items you mention raise questions regarding the information provided in books.

Your point in item 2 questions the existence of the surface. There does appear to be a surface according to the book Races of Yliakum "These tunnels were eventually explored by the inhabitants of the surface and some of them, covering a very great distance, were discovered to connect to the Stone Labyrinths that are in turn connected to Yliakum."

In item 3 you suggest all records of the homelands have been lost. The same book states "All the races arrived in Yliakum in approximately the same time period, give or take a few years, as we can learn from the records that our ancestors have written". This suggests there are records? Also as far as I can ascertain from a secret set of books the Races arrived in Yliakum about 400 years ago. Whilst this may be a long time in human terms it is only 2 lifespans for a Dermorian. Is there really a credibly IC reason why they would have lost all information and forgotten everything about their homeland (note also the picture of Dermoria in the Tavern)?

Your point on Kadaikos is noted, and makes sense, and presumably applies to Rooms and Ilith Thalisand. Nonetheless, are there descendants of people who left those places before they were cut off? (Note that one of the books states the purpose of clearing those cities was to drive the Dwarves and Elves of those cities into Yliakum). However presumably Xant Laan and the Xacha there still survive?

Siteri Kidachi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 07:40:55 pm »
You could also note that there are plenty of known areas that haven't yet been implemented, like the other Dsars of Ojaveda and that waterfall town...

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 12:52:04 am »
Ceraline:
The Races of Yliakum book and its corresponding fellows on the mainsite and player guide are not accurate and will be remedied as Soom(TM) as possible. All races besides Kran and Lemur came through Portals without exception. Sorry for the inconsistencies and inconvenience.

On the rest about item 3... that is still secret NDA information. One small hint. The maximum, old-age lifespan of Dermorians is about 200 years under ideal circumstances. Humans are about 100 in real life. Looking back at medieval times will tell you a different story, where the average lifespan was 1/3 the max. Transfer a similar ratio to Yliakum and you will get a clearer view of Yliakum's past. Also, yes, I give you my personal guaranty that there is a credible reason.

Please keep the mention of 'secret' information to a minimum, though. I would not be pleased if certain information became RPed as common knowledge. Indeed, it might not be best to believe everything you read in dark corners. ;)

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 01:49:45 am »
Transfer a similar ratio to Yliakum and you will get a clearer view of Yliakum's past.
In comparison with medieval times, Yliakum has more advanced technology, improved living standards, better (magic!) health care and death realm that you can actually return from.
AKA Skald

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:21:31 am »
Currently, yes. Not in "Yliakum's past", however. I am not going to argue the point.

Ceraline

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 05:45:35 am »
Hi again UtM... please bear with me as I am trying to raise points which I believe need to be considered to aid improving the consistency of the settings and not to argue with you.

Unfortunately your analogy to the middle ages differs from my own view and what I believe is the experience of many. As an example, up until the early 1900's life expectancy had not improved dramatically beyond the middle ages, yet even I have personal records, sketches and  recollections passed down to me (not using current technology) beyond the Irish potato blight and famine and know the exact location of the family home there as far back as the 18th C (though I have never been there :(). I'm sure there are countless other English, European Americans etc. who can similarly trace their roots. This is a comparable timeframe in lifespans. This is not to mention that we can trace history significantly beyond the middle ages, despite numerous wars, famines and attempts at suppression. People will always be inqisitive about their past and have an affinity to their roots, it is natural.

Back to the settings. We have the example of Vigesimi Otlidi Eam who is believed to be over 205 years old and still going strong and it would be nonsensical to consider that there are not others at least approaching that age. These presumably would have verbal if not written recollections from older relatives, acquaintances etc. which would not leave an awful lot of Yliakum history omitted from 1st hand accounts alone. In addition we have the evidence of the Lemurs tracing their own history beyond this in the 'Song of the Lemur'. I trust this perspective will assist in assuring the credibility of the IC reason.

With regard to the secret books I have restricted myself to identifying only those areas which logically would be known about, and have no intention of breaking the cover :-X. However should other players really need different places to have come from within Yliakum I would recommend books 1 and 2 of Meet the Dome Vigesimi - available from Jayose's Library.

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 06:26:05 am »
I just hope that you don't expect from all players that they come up with a complete family tree up to generation x. I think if everyone can come up with their parents names and occupations we could call us lucky. Since most characters are very young it is more then likely that they are native to Yliakum. The problem I already mentioned is that not every race has a settlement on the first level. Kaityra as an Enkidukai can call herself lucky as Ojaveda is a settlement of her race even though she does not "come" directly from this town but rather from one of the many "tent towns" near it.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 08:43:01 am »
Settle down vultures, the informations is coming. You can pick it to bits later.