Author Topic: Tavern Guards  (Read 3631 times)

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Tavern Guards
« on: June 14, 2008, 08:40:18 pm »
I'm aware that there are two guards outside of the tavern, but people don't pay any attention to those at all. I think there need to be two guards inside of the tavern, one on the first floor and one in the basement room, so that the fighters are more intimidated and take their frays elsewhere. It's annoying when people constantly shoot magic at each other and kill each other right in the middle of the room, and none of them pay attention to the guards outside. If people don't pay attention to the guards when they're actually inside of the tavern, I'd say they're pretty worthy of making the ignore list.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 08:44:35 pm by Shaman »

Velh Krome

Re: Tavern Guards
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:15:11 pm »
Right that habit of people, to roleplay battling most bloody and brutal inside that bar as if it was some underground fight club, completely ignoring the bartender, who most probably wouldnt really watch and enjoy people killing each other and wrecking her furnitures, as well as completely ignoring a guard and its commander right outside the door, at some point simply made me not going there anymore at some point.

This place is just no bar. And that type of roleplay, which happens there almost constantly, is just a pretty poor nonsense lacking common sense and/or imagination. I may certainly sound polemic, but considering that people acting like that are meant to be roleplayers, I doubt even an NPC standing in front of them would bring any change - unless they would punish them instantly;)

I have one more suggestion: Why not placing one more pub somewhere, a more real one, then Kada Els could remain frequented by the guys narrating their superpowers (=RP fights..), while in the new pub peasants could take a drink without getting spilled with blood and occasionally being hit by a devastating misguided dark way spell?
However though, your suggestion to place guards inside has the undoubtable advantage that people always had to face it as it is meant to be - I like it!

edit: psst had a typo o/

Prolix

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:48:58 pm »
Guards no, bouncers yes. Perhaps a requirement to check your weapons at the door and an anti magic field inside. Fisticuffs should be acceptable.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 06:20:35 am »
I have one more suggestion: Why not placing one more pub somewhere, a more real one, then Kada Els could remain frequented by the guys narrating their superpowers (=RP fights..), while in the new pub peasants could take a drink without getting spilled with blood and occasionally being hit by a devastating misguided dark way spell?

Another proposal: Establish the bouncers who prevent fighting in Kada's and create another pub in the wilderness. Law X would not apply, and maybe the barkeeper does not want to interfere when the customers 'settle their issues'.

Velh Krome

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 06:35:25 am »
Nice idea actually, and would add to the votes for decorating already existant areas - definitely a must anyway!

What I honestly doubt though is, that the "bar slaughterers" would move to a separated location just like that - to me it seems that they simply get attracted by frequented and crowded spots, without any pattern or reason.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 06:46:16 am »
i think putting just some additional not moving npc wouldn't do much, if they could stop these battles in some way they would be more effective to resolve the problem

Velh Krome

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 06:49:17 am »
Yes, but such would require some already working punishment system still to come.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 07:03:26 am »
The guards just outside are being ignored. Why would guards or bouncers inside not be ignored?

Kada-el's is the gathering ground for (conflict driven) roleplay. Changing that and trying to create a new gathering ground with the community is what we need. Hydlaa needs a designated area for troublemakers but we don't have to go banging on the Devs door for that. We can create that as players. Lead by example, not just by asking people not to do something. ;)
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Velh Krome

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 07:12:32 am »
Do I now need to grab them by their hand and lead them to a hidden place with more indexfinger risen, because they cant see nonsense? Instead friends and me have set up an own gathering point over time, and you bet I can think of much more funny things than taking care of such - in worst case I just will continue to not go there anymore. Actually I wouldnt have replied here if I wouldnt have entered the tavern yesterday after several weeks.

The guards outside Kadas are ignored because they cant be seen from inside - you ever saw a kid shutting its eyes, thus confiding it cant be seen?

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 07:29:42 am »
I'm doing the same .. heck I even made it a rule within the Imperial Guard to stay out of the tavern while on duty because it was a lost cause. A guard walking in there had half the tavern jump on their neck, looking for trouble. So even guards inside won't solve much. People just want to fight eachother all the time.

The best personal fix is finding another gathering point, one which troublemakers don't know of.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 08:07:44 am »
The guards outside Kadas are ignored because they cant be seen from inside - you ever saw a kid shutting its eyes, thus confiding it cant be seen?

well I've seen people fighting also outside in clear sight of those two guards so they don't really care anyway whatever they can be seen or not...

Prolix

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 11:56:54 am »
Here is an idea, change the pvp room, adding a bar and making the dlayos wait-staff. Problem solved! Of course you would want the dlayos to be aggressive but unable to leave the room. It would be amusing to see people trying to order their drinks without getting slain.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 01:42:43 pm »
um, folks, there IS another bar in game . . .

I specifically did not add a bartender because you complained when we added allelia . . .

Prolix

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 02:11:34 pm »
Old Stonehead's bar needs functional kitchen equipment to be more useful. I agree that it is already usable now but that would certainly be an improvement. One or two npc customers for the work product might be nice too.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 03:17:41 pm »
Old Stonehead's bar needs functional kitchen equipment to be more useful. I agree that it is already usable now but that would certainly be an improvement. One or two npc customers for the work product might be nice too.

That's what I thought, but what would Krans need kitchen stuff for? I imagine the tavern predates the other races coming to Gugrontid. However, if there was kitchen stuff there it would be nice. It is a lot closer to Hydlaa than Oja and sometimes I have to stop cooking to run  all the way to hydlaa for fish or something.

On the subject of the fighting. What if they could make it so you couldn't equip swords in certain areas? Or they wouldn't display which would confuse a lot of the would be brawlers. Taking away the sword would probably disrupt the RP due to the level of understanding and ability used in such RPing.