Author Topic: Click here to improve your english a little bit.  (Read 1266 times)

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Click here to improve your english a little bit.
« on: June 23, 2008, 11:00:19 pm »
Totally meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but something that annoys me alot more than it should:

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/ect.html

Please feel free to discuss simple errors in english, or just talk  about how annoying pedantry can be ;o)
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

Aiken

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Click here to improve your english a little bit.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:28:49 pm »
I would like to add "atm machine" and "pin number" to the list of annoyances.
Beware the grue.

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:29:25 pm »
I can't stand it when people pronounce the word espresso "expresso."
"Here's to lowering caskets of old friends choice and consequence we'll birth a new day with the death of an old and start over, start over.  Here's to burying hatchets in those who you'd never call your friend...we'll birth a new day with the death of an old day and start over, start over!"

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:36:28 am »
I find it funny that even some native english speakers (writers) exaggerate the use of apostrophs. For example, "an item and its attributes" does not contain an apostroph in "its", because it is no abbreviation of "it is".

Also often not taken enough care of, even by native writers, is the difference between

- there (not here), their (belongs to them) and they're (they are)
- your (belongs to you) and you're (you are)

And most confusing: something "could {of <=> have} been" (or similar terms) where "of" is used instead of "have", in a meaning of past and possibility.

Sometimes I believe I know more about english grammar than some "native english speakers" around in forums and chats... and just that I mention it -- more "than", not "then".

__

P.S.: For our german members, there is a book series (trilogy) called "Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod" where Bastian Sick collects and discusses usual mistakes using the german language; of course, including the (advertising-based) use of the english style of apostrophing the genitive (possessive case) -- which is not the german style. He can also be found looking for "Zwiebelfisch" on spiegel-online.de (a web column closely related to the books).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:46:01 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 11:29:23 am »
I hate it when people teach their dogs bad grammar.  E.G the command "Lay down."  It should be "Lie down."  Lay is either past tense, or transitive, meaning it needs to either have occurred in the past (yesterday I lay down) or have a direct object (lay the towel on the ground).  It is simply awful to teach such horrific grammar to innocent dogs that don't know any better.
"Here's to lowering caskets of old friends choice and consequence we'll birth a new day with the death of an old and start over, start over.  Here's to burying hatchets in those who you'd never call your friend...we'll birth a new day with the death of an old day and start over, start over!"

neko kyouran

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 11:52:46 am »
"yesterday, I laid down"  :)

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:03:21 pm »
Meh no need to nitpick :P

*Edit* Actually I think I was right, but I can't find a good source right now.  My grammar check in M$ word backs me up, but I know that's hardly reliable.  I'll check the good ol' Bedford Handbook when I get home...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 12:45:12 pm by Rayken »

neko kyouran

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 12:53:30 pm »
a proper grammar usage thread dictates nitpicking :P

http://www.bartleby.com/61/76/L0077600.html

under usage notes.  :)

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 01:12:25 pm »
"Lie and its principal parts (lay, lain, lying) are correctly used in the following examples: She often lies (not lays) down after lunch. When I lay (not laid) down, I fell asleep."
:P

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 01:15:42 pm »
LigH's post sums up the most frequent and worst errors. About the difference between lay and lie, I won't correct anyone on that unless it's really obvious. I'm pretty sure 90% of the native English speakers don't know the difference :D
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

neko kyouran

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 01:35:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure 90% of the native English speakers don't know the difference :D

I can only speak for what I have seen in the USA, but yeah, 90% may be an understatement.  ;)

My pet peeve is incorrect usage of to, too, and two.  Followed closely by their, they're, and there.

Prolix

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 03:25:46 pm »
I thought lays were a brand of potato chips  :-\
Then again leis are a type of flowery necklace.

I get amused when someone asks me if I can do something for them and then expects that I will actually do it if I say that I can. It does not mean that I have agreed to do it just that I am capable of doing it. Similarly asking if you can do something is not a request for permission to do it. Of course in both cases this is the difference between connotation and denotation where denotation is the actual meaning and connotation is the subtextual implication.

neko kyouran

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 03:39:43 pm »
My parents did that to me all the time when I was little and we were at the store and stuff.  "Mommy, can I have XXXXX"  "Sure you can neko."  Then I never got it...... X-/

Zazhia

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 11:17:43 am »
LigH's post sums up the most frequent and worst errors. About the difference between lay and lie, I won't correct anyone on that unless it's really obvious. I'm pretty sure 90% of the native English speakers don't know the difference :D

Please PLEASE explain it to me or link me to a simple explanation. I am not a native English speaker, but I so desperately want to know those.

I have an idea that it is "lie", when someone is already down on the bed, but lay if you put yourself or something else on the bed. Like "I lay the pillow on the bed."

We have the same issue in Danish, if that is the case. (I can do those, though)  ???

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 09:00:34 pm »
You got it right. Lay means to put, or place something somewhere... Whereas Lie is to recline (The movement of reclining)

The trick I've been taught in Canadian grammar classes is to try and exchange the word "place" for what you're trying to say... If it works, you can use lay, if it doesn't, you can use lie.

He lay his head on the pillow. He placed his head on the pillow. Works.

Now here's where it get's tricky... "Lie" in the past tense is "Lay". I hate the English for this one.

It gets even worse when you find out that the past tense of (original) Lay is Laid, and then you need to worry about the past participle of Lie, which is Lain.

Ok, so... Just worry about lie in the past tense for now. Examples:

Thomas lay down on the sofa yesterday.  (Notice that Lay down sounds like laid down too >.<)

Laid is something like this:

Before I left the house, I laid the keys on the coffee table.

Idk if I explained this well enough, I'm kinda tired. So, don't feel bad about it if you can't get it. It's incredibly tedious, and surprisingly unimportant in dialogue.

Cheers