Author Topic: An apology - and explanation  (Read 1171 times)

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
An apology - and explanation
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:45:19 pm »
Firstly,

I should apologise for my rash reactions both on my Guild thread and the IRC.   My husband has, along with many fellow players in game, told me off for posting in my anger.  I could make all the excuses in the world, but to be honest - there is none - I should never have posted in anger, it is just wrong.

Secondly,

I will apologise to those who will have posts deleted from the Guild thread - as I am openly asking for it to be tidied - however - I ask that the Modorator 'Quote' them in this thread so that my folly is not just swept under a carpet.

I made an unhelpful afront on a GM event.  The way I went about it was no more than that of a child like tantrum that was very unprofessional of me, and is inexcuseable.  For this I can only apologise.   

GAME MASTERS have a hard job.  They take enough jibing off of people who are actually doing things wrong, and don't need someone like me throwing a teddy out the pram at them.

I will now explain coherently why -I- found the event to be lacking certain qualities and thus caused my stupid lapse of maturity.

• I thought that Monsters would not run away from Town Guards yet attack a larger group of heavily armed towns folk... it is just not the behaviour of a wild animal.
  • The games mechanics did not quite cope with the event - as I found I could not attack back, yet  the monster could attack me?
  • I would have thought that wild animals would run from possible harm, unless they were 'protecting' young
  • There seemed to be an endless streem of creatures just appearing? and the lagg left me thinking it was a 'stop art' movement show...   the creatures leaping [without being seen inbetween] form place to place
  • There did not -seem- to be any consistancy to the 'movement' behaviours of the creatures... i.e. Tefsungs leaping over tables, running faster than they normally lumber along at, Rats suddenly being super strong? etc.

Well, there it is...   as you can see - my initial reaction was... rather childish, for which I am sorry.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 01:15:28 am by Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins »
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: An apology - and explanation
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 04:05:38 pm »
* Sen also uses this chance to apologize

I also want to emphasize that things I said are by no means directed against gms; I doubt I was able to make that clear.

What gms do for players is great and certainly they hear too often complaints about it. I unfortunately don't know a way to let you know how much I appreciate the work, as the other players certainly do, too.

Furthermore Im happy to hear that Lolitra is (as I hope) staying ingame  :)

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:17:04 pm »
The only reason the reaction to your overreaction was so harsh was because people expected much more from you.  I understand you are going through a lot and everybody has slip ups [even the event team as seen by the unchallengeable monsters (heard it was a bug)].
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:25:56 pm »
I could totally wrong here, but this just shows me that the person behind the character has feelings. This means that we should all play respectfully with each other. If we don't then we might take a chance to loose a great player such as Lolitra. IMO that would be a great tragedy. Lolitra is one on the best Rp'ers we have left.

I have complete respect for you Lolitra.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:12:25 pm »
It is possible the Event character couldn't be challenged,  We are extemely sorry about this and it was an oversight on the part of the participants. My only defense is that we are human and screw up sometimes. Sorry.
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 08:22:17 pm »
Pizik

What I said was meant for all people to see. I have made many mistakes in game as well. Maybe even to the point that some people have left the game also. I only wish that I could take it back and say I am sorry like you have.
* Mathy Stockington bows in respect to you, Pizik.

You are a better person then I will ever be.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:06:19 pm »
  • I thought that Monsters would not run away from Town Guards yet attack a larger group of heavily armed towns folk... it is just not the behaviour of a wild animal.

Obviously something is affecting their behavior to the point that it becomes unpredictable. It is a clue players interested in the event should follow in order to understand.

• The games mechanics did not quite cope with the event - as I found I could not attack back, yet the monster could attack me?
We tried challenges the first time and it didn't work that well either. Maybe we need a new feature.

• I would have thought that wild animals would run from possible harm, unless they were 'protecting' young
Again, this is not average behavior for these beasts. Something is wrong and it's up to the players to figure it out.

• There seemed to be an endless streem of creatures just appearing? and the lagg left me thinking it was a 'stop art' movement show...   the creatures leaping [without being seen inbetween] form place to place
Glitches happen in a game in development.

• There did not -seem- to be any consistancy to the 'movement' behaviours of the creatures... i.e. Tefsungs leaping over tables, running faster than they normally lumber along at, Rats suddenly being super strong? etc.
Mobs have been running for a while now. Have you seen an ulber run? In any case, the state of mind of these creatures, as stated above, is unnatural and thus their erratic behavior.

Edit: You can check here for updates.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:20:30 pm by Dajoji »

Velh Krome

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:39:31 pm »
Slightly offtopic, but I want to give credits to this event in question:
I was pretty annoyed by the mechanics applied, after I took the time to type out /challenge, at once checked the System-tab to see ".. declined". At least I was fast enough to read that before the beast got my char killed.
In the end though I was rather pleased having seen how it was handled. The people in charge took the time to reply to my /telling complaints, and that while they surely have been in the heat of a mess. Before it ended the dwarf-guard had the patience to still RP out the happenings.

After all I assume it indeed was nothing but a technical issue, which was all but intended or lousily planned by the guys in charge, instead coped with professionally. I am glad to see these issues were handled adequately by the players.

Two thumbs up for this, keep it going!

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 12:50:58 am »
The thing that tipped it for me was not being able to run away due to the 'stammina' bug, as soon as I tried to - I was too exhausted to move! and subsequently my character was killed by something that would not -normally- hurt me as much as it did with just two blows.

But, I shall reitterate that it was inexcuseable of me to chuck my teddy out my perverbial pram like I did.  It was a bad day for me - and ultimately, I am suitably ashamed of my pathetic tantrum.

As to Mobs running - I was aware of them being able to.  But in all my encounters with Tefsungs they have been 'lumbering' creatures incapable of running at such a speed.   The way they are built would suggest that they are not 'sporty' creatures like the Trepors or Clackers... or Rats or even 'humanistic' mobs - who can obviously sprint, leap and jump over objects - oh and the Ulber, yes its design would suggest it too can sprint!  The Tefsung, I would have thought rely on their lookin like a tree, to attract their bovine like pray and then hook onto them using their two huge claws, while they chew into what ever they have managed to trap. 

I cannot really comment any further on the 'event' as I did not hang around.   My other character Ixala almost died during her 'loading' period...  I just logged her out before she did die - as she would not have hung about.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 01:02:53 am by Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins »
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.

Zwenze

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 03:47:48 am »
Most of the monsters do a running attack on you. That includes Tefusangs, Ulbernauts and Trepors for example. That monsters do not jump is in my opinion a limitation of the npc client and not part of the settings.
Though, I agree, being struck down while the stamina bug has pinned you down can be rather frustrating.

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 03:56:38 pm »
I wish I had not been such an arse... from what I have heard now - the event went really well despite the few glitches with mechanics.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 01:14:40 pm »
Meh, you are human Lolitra and quite frankly I am surprised it took you this long to lose it on an event. We all have our freak outs and bad days. Even the nice calm people (actually those are the ones to worry about when they do blow ;) ). I am sure the community is in acceptance of your apology and can even relate to you on this issue. PlaneShift can be quite frustrating at times.
* zorbels pats Lolitra on the shoulder and gives her a flower  :flowers: 
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 03:42:02 am »
Lolitra hugs Zorbels...

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 08:03:44 pm »
Haha, we'd be flooded with apologetic posts if people decided to post each time they do something silly. It's good to see some modesty from time to time though.

Just make sure you don't worry too much about things around here. You're a nice person and you should spend your worries in something more important than a game.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!