Author Topic: How does Cooking work?  (Read 6799 times)

Jezzmin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
How does Cooking work?
« on: July 14, 2008, 12:54:58 am »
Hello there,

I just started and after a lot of searching I finally found a kitchen. Now I wonder, how to use the oven. I can examine it much the same like for example the furnace in the tutorial, but that's it. I can't "use" it, nor can I "use" any other kitchen tools I have bought (kitchen knife and circle cutter). So I wonder: How can I use my Cooking skill?

I'd be glad to start cooking, as I really like this part of crafting ;)

thanks a lot,
Jezz

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Rrivaln hrraln mo hetakh! (Enkien)
    • View Profile
Re: How does Cooking work?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 02:52:03 am »
Do you actually have cooking skill already? I would say you need somebody (NPC) to introduce you to the magic of cooking  ::)

since 0.3.019 Crystal Blue || Sometimes a ragequit is the right decision.

Jezzmin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 05:52:05 am »
Actually, yes, I have the cooking skil, as my char's father was a cook (and her mother a farmer, but farming isnt implemented I think)...the cooking skill is 7 already, but still I don`t know how to cook...I think me, as the player, doesnt know cooking in the game, while the character basically knows it...I just cant make my character cook :D

Any hints?

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:04:38 am »
Ask a cook. If you have found a kitchen, the cook mustn't be far off.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 12:58:21 am »
Ask a cook. If you have found a kitchen, the cook mustn't be far off.

And with said cook, they my have something you will need to "keep in mind".  :)

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 10:16:18 pm »
Personal experience is the best way to learn...maybe ask her if you can help her ;p

Mizzy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 01:17:20 pm »
I have problem with cooking too. I have my good Kitchen Knife, and I want to slice the pungent tuber on a prep. table.
I read the book the NPC gave me and read that I need to use the preparation table with the knife, but I can't actually figure out what this means.
I tried put the tuber in the examine menu of the table but it says "You are not sure what to to with (item)". I try to click "Use" with the knife equipped, I tried to put the knife itself in the menu of the table and then click "combine"...nothing.
I'm confused about something very basic or I need somewhat else???

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 01:36:49 pm »
Have you put the book in your "mind" slot?

Prolix

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 02:19:49 pm »
To use the preparation table you put the tool (kitchen knife in this case) in your right hand, the appropriate cook book in mind and the ingredient in the preparation table window. The first two must be done before you put the ingredient 'in' the table.

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 02:46:14 pm »
To use the preparation table you put the tool (kitchen knife in this case) in your right hand...

As far as I can remember Reffitia tells you she puts the knife in her left hand so it seems not to matter really. I agree with the rest.

Mizzy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 04:41:13 pm »
Have you put the book in your "mind" slot?

Those little things seems stupid...AFTER  :sweatdrop:
Thank you all

Mizzy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »
Another little question..today for the first time I tried to combine two items to cook: in this case apple jam and a slice of bread.
I put both on preparation table and hit "combine". It appears the message "you start working on combine items" and they instantly become the combined item (spreading apple jam) but no message like "you've created spreading apple jam" appears, and no experience points are assigned.
I think I have to wait, but after a couple of minutes, it becomes "Gunk" this time with all the messages (and experience points in cooking too  :sweatdrop:).

It is the right way for combine to work (no message at the end and no exp points) or I messed up something?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 02:57:41 pm »
You won't get a message and combining gives no experience or anything. It's just a means to an end. :)

Prolix

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 09:12:16 am »
That sounds like a bug to me. It might be worth reporting on the tracker because other crafting combines give practice, i.e, smelting alloys and finishing weapons. Worst that can happen is it gets closed as "not a bug."

HaterZer

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 09:54:28 pm »
Cooking starts when you have the cooking skills. It is just like in real life let your senses and creativity guide you into whipping the best ever recipe you want. Truly life in the kitchen is the most interesting of them all. Copper Sinks
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:49:19 am by HaterZer »