Author Topic: Recent Rash of Rather Harsh Responses  (Read 6511 times)

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Recent Rash of Rather Harsh Responses
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 05:39:13 pm »
Even the ones with fanatics are pretty nice until some hardcore atheist decides to join, from what I've seen. I've never joined a religious forum, though...only lurked 'em over my sister's shoulder. >_>;
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 05:41:53 pm »
I have joined a few and I'm a hardcore atheist :P
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »
What we need to remember is that we lost a member of our PS Community. That is sad.

Think about that.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008, 06:40:49 pm »
We lose members everyday. We also gain members everyday. Someone who doesn't like a community shouldn't try to join it. Also, someone who takes words on a screen written by someone they don't even know that seriously shouldn't be online.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 06:56:04 pm »
Pardon me, Parallo, Is that snide comment addressed to me?
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Velh Krome

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 07:10:25 pm »
About the community.. I see a distinct difference between the forums and people ingame, some people ingame you wont never see on the forums and vice versa. So what actually would sadden me (if you can call it like that at all), is people leaving the game for stuff happening on the forums.
The atmosphere ingame I experienced as much more friendly than on these forums here, so I would hope people wont get tricked that easily.

Anumesa

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 07:30:07 pm »
I think that some people embrace the anonymity more then others and as a result develop an ego. I see so much of this elitist attitude, of people trying to force their intelligence down other's throats just for their own amusement. Almost every comment i see from these people could result in an argument, and in the end it seems like that is all they are looking for, just another debate so they can attempt to force their 'superiority' on someone else.

Then we have others who remain themselves and find it difficult to embrace the cloak of relative anonymity that the internet provides. I personally am an example of this, I just can't turn off my personality or the way i think and communicate with people. It is these people who are accused of 'taking things personally' and 'overreacting'. If someone walked up and slapped you in your face, most of us wouldn't smile and 'get over it'. You would feel hurt and upset about it like most people would. Despite this cloak of anonymity, an insulting comment is still insulting and i find it impossible just to 'forget' that i ever read it. Sure there are different degrees and i can understand how in -some- cases people do overreact, but 99% of the time their reactions are completely justified. If someone calls me stupid, I am going to be upset, no matter if they said it to my face, in a letter, behind my back, or online.

Patience is a virtue.

[P.S. Yes i know i am a comma abuser  :sweatdrop: ]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:32:01 pm by Anumesa »

Wavan Levironk

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2008, 08:01:16 pm »
I agree with Anumesa, there's always an human being behind the screen, even if we like it or not, we have to respect that.

I'd like to know someone who has a life on the internet and a 100% different real life (if they have real life), I'm the same person in both places (maybe on IRC I joke too much but weeee, who cares lol).
"The same moment that you are seen as the best, the fastest and somebody that cannot be touched, you are enormously fragile." - Ayrton Senna

neko kyouran

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 08:13:32 pm »
I'd like to know someone who has a life on the internet and a 100% different real life

Depending on who you talk to, I fit that bill.  I'm actually a genuinely nice person to be around.  Read my PM box and you'll think I'm the spawn of Satan out to end all humanity.

Unfortunately for them, the sticks and stones argument comes into play.  I'm perfectly happy with who I am, and could care less with what others think of me, so it doesn't bother or get me upset in the least. I just shrug it off and go on my merry way. I can't make everyone like me, so I don't try.  People will always have different opinions on things.

As my parents told me and my siblings whilst growing up, "you don't have to like each other.  you just have to get along."    Same holds true on these forums.  I don't expect anything near everyone liking each other here.  International forums, with people here with every type of background, of course disagreements will arise.  I'm not here to make everyone friends with everyone else.  I'm just here to ensure you all play nice together.

Wavan Levironk

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2008, 08:22:32 pm »
I'd like to know someone who has a life on the internet and a 100% different real life

Depending on who you talk to, I fit that bill.  I'm actually a genuinely nice person to be around.  Read my PM box and you'll think I'm the spawn of Satan out to end all humanity.

That doesn't mean not caring about being insulted or hurt on the internet. That just means not everyone likes you (not everyone likes me either). But if someone says "I'm going to kill myself" and I don't see that person in days, even if he/she lied, I get upset. This is the internet but being someone you're not or not believing anyone is not the solution, or at least, that's my opinion.
"The same moment that you are seen as the best, the fastest and somebody that cannot be touched, you are enormously fragile." - Ayrton Senna

neko kyouran

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2008, 08:48:50 pm »
That doesn't mean not caring about being insulted or hurt on the internet.

Unfortunately for them, the sticks and stones argument comes into play.  I'm perfectly happy with who I am, and could care less with what others think of me, so it doesn't bother or get me upset in the least. I just shrug it off and go on my merry way. I can't make everyone like me, so I don't try.  People will always have different opinions on things.

At the end of the day, the only person that truly matters what they think of you, is you yourself.  I can't force people to like me, or think positively of me, sooooo if they do, they do.  If they don't, they don't.  All I can do is going on living my life the way I want to live it, and as long as I'm happy being me, then that's all I care about.

Prolix

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »
Sometimes I wonder if all these "Stop being mean to me" threads are started by the same person just for a laugh. Probably not, I guess.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 12:29:56 am »
Note: The following is going to come off as 'harsh' and 'uncaring' to some people. Reader discretion advised.

As pointed out by Waven, yes, there is always a human being behind the screen. Not all of them are 'nice'. Not all of them are helpful. Not all of them are bleeding-heart emotionalists. Some will mean well, but come off as harsh or cold because they are not prolific writers. Some will have a sarcastic personality. Some will be blunt.

Yes, there are human beings behind every screen. Human beings with a vast array of personalities. There will be those that are harsher than others, and that will never change. It does not matter if you are on a forum, in IRC, or walking around in real life.

I have been accused of being 'harsh' or mean before just because I told someone something they needed to hear. Looking back, I do not feel "ashamed" in the least, and take offense at being told that 'we' should all be.

Honestly, this thread made me laugh a few times in a generally amused way. It reminded me of a stranger standing up on a soapbox in the middle of a crowd and shouting "We all need to be nicer to each other!" The nice people will agree, and continue to be nice. The friendy but sarcastic people will make comments to each other. The mean people will continue to be mean. In the end, you have someone standing on a soapbox with only a few people stopping to even pay attention.

That, my friends, is human nature. You can be sad about it, or you can deal with it. It is not about to change.

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 12:54:57 am »
You are correct sir, as I said in the earlier post, we can tell people to be nice all we want, it's not going to make a real difference. I'm not going to say anything more here, I said eveything I needed to say in my earlier posts. I'm going to watch this thread today and if no one brings anything new to it, it will be locked. Although I do think there are people who will still want to have a say here.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 02:02:33 am »
Sure there are  ;)
If I understand the last posts right.
It sounds like no one even considers taking feedback seriously and possibly change their behaviour. And because of I think there is at least a chance of people thinking about their own behaviour I see no reason why a community shouldn't try to change those who behave 'wrong' towards a behaviour that is regarded as better. (Speaking about people that are here since a longer time)

I possibly said nothing really new and just stated my opinion like many others, so I stop writing more. Most other things are anyway already in Anumesa's post.  ;D

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!