Poll

Do you think a player Vigesimi should be found?

Yes.
No.

Author Topic: Player Vigesimi  (Read 2533 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Player Vigesimi
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2008, 09:05:14 pm »
Mythryndel, this is just a game... :) More than likely they wouldn't have GM powers otherwise they would just have a current GM do it. Secondly, it's not like you are likely to lose much by having a player as vigesimi. It's not like you paid money and could lose funds.  ;)

Obviously there would be a certain amount of accountability otherwise it wouldn't be considered. The Devs don't trust us that much.  ;D And in the event the person is a you know what, just use /ignore. I'm sure you wouldn't be absolutely obligated to participate in RPs with them.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2008, 09:46:12 pm »
The whole point, or so I have read on other topics, and assumed applied to this one... is to have a player be able to affect settings. If there is no actual authority to the position, then what is the point at all?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2008, 10:32:17 pm »
Not necessarily. Most leaders do nothing more than make the history books. Not every leader or politician does anything particularly memorable. If anything this is just to get players more involved as involved players care more about the game.

If everything changed the settings, I doubt Xillix would have time to plan anything else since he would be busy rewriting the settings constantly. This is why elections shouldn't be held monthly as then all other vigesimi would be in power on average for a considerable longer time causing a inconsistency.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2008, 10:51:21 pm »
Then, outside of it being against settings, why wouldn't someone simply claim a position in the gov and play the part? Unless there is some point to it, as in a lasting effect on the game, then who cares?

Prolix

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2008, 11:09:32 pm »
My first act as Vigesimi would be to commission a statue of myself in the main gathering point for the territory I would be responsible for. Then I would hire a mage guild to keep an apprentice in the area to shoot any flying critter that tried to dishonor it. Further I would recruit a cadre of spies to keep a close eye on the people to ensure anyone speaking ill of me received my justice.

It is a good thing I do not want the job. Of course volunteers for the position ought not to be considered suitable. The proper person is one who has to be drafted by an Octarchal press gang.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 12:12:08 am »
Then, outside of it being against settings, why wouldn't someone simply claim a position in the gov and play the part? Unless there is some point to it, as in a lasting effect on the game, then who cares?

The settings and the game moderation are the biggest reason why someone wouldn't do that. And it is for the sake of RP. It may not affect the settings but it can affect characters themselves. Which is also the lasting effect. The story lines created then will more than likely be remembered by players if not the settings.

It's like cooking. I can't sell most of what I make, can't eat it and if I could it probably wouldn't raise stats. but I cook anyway because my character loves to cook for people and we RP the meal. RP can make stuff that is mechanically useless and not earth shattering meaningful.  :)

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 12:24:50 am »
I'll just have to wait for a more detailed official definition of "Player Vigesimi" then. What I envision, and what others do appears to be at odds. Until such time as we get a better definition, I still vote No, and will respectfully disagree as to the point of things if there is no in-game authority associated with the post.

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 12:49:22 am »
Lolitra prepares to go throught the voting process - not something she is used to doing... being a monarch to her own lands. [heheheh]

[Sometimes I feel the world is getting far too serious]
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 03:05:28 am »
There wouldn't be voting, there is no democracy. Republik is what at beats we have. The ones who vote would be those at power.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2008, 06:54:53 am »
Oh, oh, I know... 'Approved Guild' guild leaders vote for the player vigesimi >.> Oh, and Vigisimi really should have any special powers such as a GM has. I think first there should be a guard and maybe jail system, so if someone disobeys a vigesimi or attempts to harm them in any RP, they can order the guards to arrest that person >.>

Bubba

• Traveller
  • (Ogul Rakhas)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2008, 10:31:16 am »
I voted 'yes', as I think having players in such roles - as a back-up to NPC's - would be a huge advance in terms of RP. As I see it - and ignoring the questing role they play - the NPC's are more or less a kind of 'crutch' to be used as long as the community is too small to allow such in-world stratification of PS society. After that, they should serve as a 'safety net' to ensure playability during those times when certain individuals are not online. But I would always prefer to deal with a 'live' character over a NPC, as the RP is then only bound by imagination and time.

My Specs:
Model: HP s3230
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E4500 2.20 GHz
Graphics Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 2400 [HPvs19]
Memory RAM: 2.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit OS

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2008, 11:16:14 am »
The less difference there is between NPC and player characters the better!

As for the voting .. keep in mind that Vigesimi is a hereditary position and also a lifelong one. Elections occur and I wouldn't mind seeing one here but monthly or regular elections make no sense with the current settings. Also keep in mind that in a world like Yliakum there would be a lot of corruption, manipulation and cheating going on in any election. If we have a vote I'd like to see illegal options to increase one's chance to win. :P
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Prolix

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2008, 12:20:19 pm »
Lifelong, eh? does that mean it ends with a trip to the DR or would they get to resume their post on any return to the realm of the living...? Given that a DR sojourn is supposed to be a possibly long term event,days, weeks, or even longer, how long would it take for a replacement to be called for?

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2008, 12:29:24 pm »
I'd say if they have died and people know about it a successor will be elected .. so they better make it back to the realm of the living before that successor is appointed. Of course if you're going to kill a vigesimi, you better do it right the first time and make sure this can't happen. :P

You make a good point though, settings will need to come up with an answer for situations like this.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Toox

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 05:45:07 pm »
Lifelong, eh? does that mean it ends with a trip to the DR or would they get to resume their post on any return to the realm of the living...? Given that a DR sojourn is supposed to be a possibly long term event,days, weeks, or even longer, how long would it take for a replacement to be called for?

Maybe someone could target a Vigsemi, and do an /assassinate command. This opens up a duel between the vigsemi and the assassins. However, at this point, there is open pvp within a small area around the Vigsemi. Anyone that falls in this area permi-dies... Could open up rps for assassins, or organizatons to remove disliked rulers, as well as make people think twice about such a thing.