Author Topic: Request for tutorial translation.  (Read 1772 times)

Vonor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Languages: English / German
    • View Profile
Request for tutorial translation.
« on: August 22, 2008, 01:07:18 pm »
We have noticed that the tutorial is quite hard for people who are not that good in english. Therefore and with XilliX' approval I ask the community to translate the Tutorial Walkthrough to your native language.

Each translation MUST have a reminder, that the game's language is English.
It also should include a note that we are patient with everyone and will help people learn.

Post your translations into the Guides and Tutorials section.
Perhaps, if we get enough translations we can get Neko to make a sub-forum for that even :)

Remember that the tutorial will likely change in the future and that you will have to update it as soon as Neko's walkthrough is updated.

Thanks for helping us help new players  \\o//
Vonor

Quote from: Mordraugion
Quote from: zanzibar
::|  What just happened?

you got Caarried

Aurelynt

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Request for tutorial translation.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 06:32:59 pm »
Good idea.
I have already translated Neko's introduction post and the part about Abelia into french (I wrote it down but haven't posted it yet!). If anybody wants to translate other part(s) into french, make a sign. Otherwise, I'll translate the whole thing and post it when I have time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:38:29 pm by Aurelynt »

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Rrivaln hrraln mo hetakh! (Enkien)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:38:52 pm »
I don't know if it makes sense to translate it into Bulgarian at this stage...  :-[. I could try and translate it into German but I'm not a native speaker and we have quite a big German community who can make it much better than me. Basically:  :@#\

since 0.3.019 Crystal Blue || Sometimes a ragequit is the right decision.

neko kyouran

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 06:42:35 pm »
Depending on the response we get, I can update the opener post with some more info regarding alternative translations for it.  :-]

Vonor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:05:46 pm »
You could use these results to get an idea what languages are needed.
But take into consideration, that not all PlaneShifters have voted there.

@ Aurelynt: A French translation for the start would be awesome, there are quite a few french people who could need it.
@Morla: Bulgarian might be better, I think psde.de has a german translation already...if not I'll poke peeg :P

Thanks everyone

you got Caarried

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 12:39:41 am »
If I were you, I'd wait a bit with this initiative.

Not that it's not a good one but the tutorial is in the process of being reviewed and, like you said, may change drastically in the near future. ;)
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Aurelynt

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 07:27:22 pm »
Okay.
Except otherwise stated, I'll wait a bit then...

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 12:31:07 pm »
This makes no sense. People who are not able to complete the tutorial in English will not speak English anyway.

Vonor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 12:36:28 pm »
They may learn english by playing the game. We can't exclude people with low English knowledge.

you got Caarried

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 12:39:37 pm »
We don't. People with low English knowledge can use sites like www.dictionary.com or www.leo.org.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 01:55:10 pm »
I've always been against translating the game in any way. If you can't understand basic words like "options, "exit" or "inventory", you can forget roleplaying altogether. I still remember the "Spanish Invasion", a period of time wherein the GMs were very busy stopping people from talking Spanish in-game. But eh.

What I would like to see are localized explanations of what the game is, what you can expect and how to solve basic problems everybody runs into. Basically a user-guide. However, they should still finish the tutorial on their own, at least.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:58:46 pm by ThomPhoenix »
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

hitancrias

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 02:07:47 pm »
I've always been against translating the game in any way. If you can't understand basic words like "options, "exit" or "inventory", you can forget roleplaying altogether. I still remember the "Spanish Invasion", a period of time wherein the GMs were very busy stopping people from talking Spanish in-game. But eh.
This thread is not about translating the tutorial itself but about translating the walkthrough of the tutorial, which is not a part of the game. I think translating the walkthrough in several languages is a good idea because it works best if people in need of help do indeed get help in their own language. I think the large German community proves that point. Eventually people with little skills in english will learn while playing. I could translate the tutorial in Dutch, but since I expect little demand for such a translation I rather spend my time differently.
Hitancrias. Herbalist. Explorer.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 02:14:25 pm »
Learning English takes several years. People with lack of knowledge won't gain much while playing. People who read the walkthrough in their own language can complete the tutorial without knowing any English at all, so they won't be capable of interacting with the community once they are in game.

Hiraghm

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 05:44:33 pm »
I don't think people should be allowed to speak English in game. They should speak Spanish or Chinese instead.
All of the npc interaction and quests should be in Spansh or Chinese too, to help encourage people to drop English.
English is passe'.
 :surrender:

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 05:20:51 am »
Good idea. Maybe we could hire some chinese machi...humans to do the work for the Devs instead? :P