Author Topic: I want to be able to go to bed and not wake up to 50 posts of the same question  (Read 2015 times)

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Come on people please search the forum. I would love in the morning to wake up and find there are almost no new posts as people decided to search the forum ;)

Please take a few moments and search the forum before making posts we have a search feature for a reason.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
I remember reading earlier about some people having troubles with the updater. Ok, so they use the search feature; they search the word "updater". How many posts do you think they'd pull up? How many posts would list useless crap that doesn't answer their question? How many people would rather just get a direct answer than have to read so many posts that don't address what they're trying to find?

Fin.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
* Caarrie goes to bed and expects 100 duplicate posts in the morning :P

neko kyouran

It's only hectic when there's a new update to be had.

Other times, it's a quite easy stream to keep track off.

*shrugs*

Timmothy Perriwinkle

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • I see u lookin' at mah Periwinklez.
    • View Profile
    • The Depot that's also a Warehouse
Really though, when a thread about the updater is solved it should be deleted. That way when you search you actually get relevant results.

[12:05am] XilliX: I <3 you that much

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
I've always treated this board as if it was the advisor channel; people ask the same questions over and over again.  We should make a tutorial world for people who first enter the forums.

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Prolix

Perhaps the default search option could be fixed to 90 days instead of 999.That would help as people will not get so many outdated results.Currently search is less than completely useful.

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
I suggest posting about the update on the main site, with a link to instructions.  There's nothing there about the new update.

Good luck, and thanks for all the great work.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Talad is on vacation and is the only one with access to the main site so that has not been done as no one else can.

Bamko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Ok, here goes.  What is quicker, typing your question, and wait for 3-12 hours for a reply, or search for someone else who has recently had your problem, and the answer they got. 

As I tell people often, "I bet you out of over 500,000 accounts, someone else probably has had your same problem.  check the forum and use the search, or look at the headings and where you would think the question would go and scan the pasts for the last few weeks"  that is assuming of course it is not a question answered in players guide, quick start guide or PSWIKI.

Please do not abuse the Devs, and spend at least as much time looking as you expect someone else to spend helping.   I know it is hard to understand, but we will help you, but at least try to help us help you.

HELP ME.... HELP YOU!!!   he he he... Jerry Mcguire... he he he

so, before you start a thread, ask yourself, is it likely no one else has had this problem, and the answer is not likely to be here?  If that is really the case, you might want to go to IRC and visit the #planeshift-gmtalk or go to bugtracker.

I have done some bugs.... but the forum search feature seems to work better, though, as suggested by prolix, I do set the search option to 60 days... so get a few pages of results.. not 40...

GOOOO TEAM!   :thumbup:

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Ok, here goes.  What is quicker, typing your question, and wait for 3-12 hours for a reply, or search for someone else who has recently had your problem, and the answer they got. 

3-12 hours? Which game are you talking about again?

Bamko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
I did a check, and yes, lately response times have gone down.

but wow did you miss my point.   if the answer is already there, why type the question again and then wait ANY time for a response in the forum....

I would be discouraged by your post, but to be honest, the people we are wishing would search and use the forums, guides and wikis will probably not see it anyway.

out of all of that, that is the one thing you key in on?  seriously.  I remember typing a question when I was a newbie, and when there was no answer in a half an hour, I went to bed, only to find out the next day that I SHOULD of did what Caarrie said in her post./

look at http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=31623.0 for an example... though I am impressed with how often the reply is very quick, looking back at some.  THis person had a question. they would of waited almost 2 hours for an answer, or they could of looked and found the pswiki and got it done...

Maybe you meant to say: "while I agree with _____ I Think you will find the team of volunteers do a much better job on the response rate.  That does not mean one should abuse the system by not searching the system though"

I then would of said.. ok, point taken... they do a better job than I expected they would even be able to, thanks for pointing that out... but point stands  ::)

oh well, I did not mean to step on any toes. 

Really trying not to get discouraged here.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm surprised a little sentence got such a big response.

Another reason why the search feature is hard to use (or simply looking in the "help" forums) is because thread names usually involve "HELP!!!!!!!" instead of the exact problem in the title.

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
(Stealing an idea from another forum)

Please watch this video before posting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk