Author Topic: bored of your ps folder icon??  (Read 992 times)

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
bored of your ps folder icon??
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:44:02 am »
I bet many of you want a quick EASY way to change your icon for the ps folder or any other folder on your mac
1. download http://www.shinyfrog.net/en/software/img2icns/
2. find the icon you want to use [for ps in the ps folder and then support folder]
3. drag that icon to the program it will convert it to the proper format make sure the icns file is checked, the default location the new file goes to is your desktop
4. open in the info window for the ps folder [command I]
5. drag the new icon to the old icon in the upper left corner

close the window and you now have a new icon just for ps or any other program ;)

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
Re: bored of your ps folder icon??
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:50:31 am »
Or you could download The GIMP which will create and save images as .icn files
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:57:50 am »
the files are icns already but without using that app they did not work. also on osx you nee x11 to run the gimp and not all have it.

If it was that easy then i would have just uploaded the images in the correct format and this app is even easier then downloading gimp and using it to convert.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 11:07:20 am by Caarrie »

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:40:51 pm »
With OS X, you can copy any image file and simply select the current icon of the file in the info window (select the file and hit Command-i) and paste it in. It'll do all the work for you. :)

You can even drag and drop images, though it's a little tricky, since the Finder needs to be the frontmost application.

P.S. This is why I have a Mac. :)
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 04:24:11 pm »
I tried that on leopard and it failed to work Cha0s  with the images that come with ps, but using the app i linked it worked.

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 01:16:11 am »
Ah, that tactic only works with PNGs (and other "normal" image formats). You can apply the icns files directly to applications, though, by copying the icns folder into the Contents/Resources folder of the app and renaming it to Planeshift.icns. In fact, I've made a script that will apply all the default icons to game, updater, and setup apps (my updater and setup were blue gems, but they actually have their own icons :) ). Simply download, decompress, drop in your PS folder, and double-click (yea alliteration!).

Notes:
1. It must be in your main PS folder.
2. It will apply the default icons, so if you wanted to use the plain gem icon for one of the apps, you'll have to apply that manually.
3. It assumes you haven't tampered with the icns files in support/icons (moving, renaming, etc).
4. If you set the icons via the copy/paste method, these settings will override the change we just made. Simply control-click the application with the copy/pasted icon, select "Get Info," click on the icon (in the top left, where you pasted before), and click delete. The default icon (which we just set) should be displayed.

EDIT: link fixed
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:29:02 am by Cha0s »
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 10:46:43 am »
3. drag that icon to the program it will convert it to the proper format make sure the icns file is checked, the default location the new file goes to is your desktop

(my emphasis), your initial post implied that you were having to convert the files

and I didn't say it was any easier I just offered an alternative and one that enables you to create your own icons in addition to reformatting, as for X11, well it is on the Mac OsX install disks I have, so shouldn't be a problem for anyone.
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 11:25:05 am »
X11 is not installed by default on tiger so it could be issues for some, but that is not the point of this thread

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 04:01:11 pm »
An easier way to create your own icons would be to simply make the image you want for you icon (I recommend 512x512 for size), save it in a regular format (with transparency, unless it's a perfect square--I recommend PNG), and then copy it and paste it into the icon field in the Get Info window of the file or folder you want to apply the icon to. Works like a charm. Using GIMP to create an icns file is actually more complicated (though GIMP is a good option for designing a custom icon in the first place).
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator