Author Topic: Repeat last statement  (Read 1272 times)

Da_Kaos_Child

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Repeat last statement
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:42:03 pm »
Would be nice (espcially when the server goes down after getting quest info)

If you could implement a NPC feature
say the chat command "repeat last response"

so we could get the quest info again for the last step we started with them.

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Repeat last statement
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 11:23:16 pm »
You can find your entire chat with an NPC in your logs.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 11:32:33 pm »
If the server crashes before they're done speaking, I don't think you can, can you?

Da_Kaos_Child

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 12:00:07 am »
ok for everyone else on windows

Documents and Settings / User Name / application data / planeshift / logs / charactername.txt

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:58:32 am »
What he's saying is, if you're in a quest where the NPC says 3 things as separate dialog entries before requiring player input, and you crash after the 1st one and miss the 2nd two, you're effectively boned
There is an alternative, more probable theory that 9/11 was in fact caused by Hanson's 1997 smash hit 'MMMBop.'

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:41:00 am »
To my understanding, the only thing you can do from there is either:

1. /petition a GM
2. PM a GM on the forums (usually Rizin IIRC)
3. Find a GM on irc

There is no automated process for getting this back right now that I am aware of. However, certain NPCs (as long as I have not received an item or already been dismissed by them for whatever reason) allow me to use the same key phrase to get them to start over. I usually have to do this when I get frustrated with them, get attacked by a rogue, then have to go back to talking to the NPC. So, for instance, "Jayose sent me." being the key phrase, if I say it again in the middle of their rambling speech on clacker reproduction or whatever, should start it over if I haven't already received the book on clacker lifecycle.

*** This is not a reference to any real IG quest that I am aware of... only for illustration. ***

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 02:48:40 am »
What he's saying is, if you're in a quest where the NPC says 3 things as separate dialog entries before requiring player input, and you crash after the 1st one and miss the 2nd two, you're effectively boned

We are working on updated old quests to avoid these long dialog issues like this before data is recorded. If something like this happens come find me on IRC or leave a petition for me in game and I can take a look and either get the quest fixed if it's quick or get the character fixed if it's quicker.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 10:07:28 am »
Personally, I think this is a great idea.  I'll see what I can do to convince Settings about it.

Nykolai Raskaniov

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 01:42:55 am »

Back to the topic:

@Vengeance, I think that's a great idea. Perhaps every quest step could have a fixed trigger saying "repeat last statement", even when engaged separately. The only issue I see is with a player talking to an NPC which is involved in two or more different quests. So basically, which "repeat last statement" will he answer to?

--Mod's note.  Offtopic stuff removed.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 01:24:20 pm by neko kyouran »
"Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face."

Rennaj

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Glad to Help
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 04:06:28 am »
Back to the topic:

@Vengeance, I think that's a great idea. Perhaps every quest step could have a fixed trigger saying "repeat last statement", even when engaged separately. The only issue I see is with a player talking to an NPC which is involved in two or more different quests. So basically, which "repeat last statement" will he answer to?

When new system for quests is in game, do not think this sort of thing will be much of a problem, as when window opens a option can be added to repeat. [[Suggest new window opens on choosing this option, you then add quest name]].

--Mod's note.  Offtopic stuff removed.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 01:24:52 pm by neko kyouran »
Run your permissions at least once a week. You will be amazed what it can solve.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 01:36:47 pm »
To my understanding, the only thing you can do from there is either:

1. /petition a GM
2. PM a GM on the forums (usually Rizin IIRC)
3. Find a GM on irc

Does this count as a spoiler?
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.