Author Topic: The Arena is a strange place - not worth a real Arena.  (Read 2230 times)

Getoran

• Traveller
    • View Profile
The Arena is a strange place - not worth a real Arena.
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:19:08 am »
Hello,

Ever since I started playing PS I wondered about the strange selection of monsters in the arena. It seems to be totally random and not worth an arena at all. If you want to go to the arena with your friends to watch some glorious fights, you will be very disappointed - well, at least entry is free.

So what do we have in the arena?

An area full of clackers. What is this thought to be. A playground area for kids where parents can leave them, while they watch some real fights? Even with no fighting skills at all every beginner can fight trepors without trouble. Trepors just stand there and wait for their extinction. This is good, because this way even non-fighting characters can get some descent points and don't need to train their armor or sword level. But back to the Clackers - in my opinion they really belong into the basement and not in an area where visitors want to see some real fights.

What else do we have?

Lot's of Tefusangs and Trepors. This is good and they should be there, but not so many. One could see the Trepor and Tefusang areas as some warmup areas, where fighters prepare for the real battles or where apprentice fighters are trained. This way visitors can see the upcoming fighters. As I already mentioned, this helps beginners, too.

But what about the gladiators?

Yeah, as a gladiator you have a hard life. Either you train years and years until you get as good as a Dajo Gladiator or you are doomed to fight in the hallways of the arena your whole life. Come on people - is that really the way a gladiators life should look like. I guess visitors of the arena would be more impressed to see some gladiator fights, than hundreds of these Trepor and Tefusang battles.

What about the rest of the monsters?

Yeah, where are they? Where are the Ulbernauts, the gobbles, the Marfusangs or the Maulbernauts? Shouldn't the arena be a place for real fighters? Visitors want to see some glorious fighters and not those wannabe warriors who fight Trepors and Tefus. If people want to fight Trepors, Tefusangs or Clackers they can go hunting in the wild. In my opinion they don't belong in an arena - at least not that many of them.

So what do you guys think of the arena? Perhaps we can make some good suggestions and hope for a change soon. It shouldn't be that hard to place some other monsters in the arena.

Get

Entevir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: The Arena is a strange place - not worth a real Arena.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 11:08:46 am »
Actually it does raise the question of why the best fighters(Glads, Dlayo included) are stuffed far from the spectator areas sight. It would make just a little more sense to have them in the main pit's. Maybe one or two pit's for the critters. The corridors should be creature free though as people who are spectators are expected to walk through them.
If I stand on the axis of the world will you mind if I say that the world revolves around me ?

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 11:29:25 am »
I think gregori might have run into trouble dragging the ulbers to the arena, they probably don't come willingly.
Censorship FTW.

StitchedChin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 12:10:50 pm »
Yeah, the pits should have the Gladiators and then a trap door where an Ulbernaut on a chain leash comes barrelling out of in the middle of the fight.  Then a central pit should have Dlayos on trepor chariots tossing magic and spears at the challengers.  That'd be awesome...  But I agree in case my point came off sarcastic, Arena is just a playground for now, a place to train for most skill levels, but I don't think it is that random, each pit has its purpose, for the most part.  Oh and you can train all you want to take on a Dlayo, they will still cut you down in one shot.  It'll be interesting to see what the master plan for the Arena is as the game gets closer to being finished.  I like the hallways now though, they are like trying to go to the bathroom in the middle of a Charger/Raider game (nasty rivalry for the non-American football fans)... you have to watch your back because there are always people out there waiting to pick a fight  :D

argtjs

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:27:06 pm »
I disagree with the statement that all beginners can fight a clacker. I started with a character extremely weak in Strengh/Endurance and that was all I could fight first.

It is not because the monsters are weak that the show will be boring. Imagine for instance, a show where one gladiator fight a lot of clackers in a sort of bloody massacre of clackers. Actually, I think this could be fun. I would therefore not request the removal of clackers, rather adding lots of them would be more meaningful.

On top of this, one could think that perhaps the clackers are here to fight between themselves and people take bet on which one will win.

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:50:12 pm »
Even with no fighting skills at all every beginner can fight trepors without trouble

Ok, go into char creation, make a new character, click "Quick," choose enchanter, get yourself swords from harnquist, and go see how well you do against a trepor

See you in the DR, buddy
There is an alternative, more probable theory that 9/11 was in fact caused by Hanson's 1997 smash hit 'MMMBop.'

Getoran

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:44:10 am »
Everybody seems to pick here on the one statement I made about beginners and trepors. Well, that might not be true for all chars, but there are other solutions to this problem. Like put the clackers in the basement of the arena or the Hydlaa sewers - but not in one of the main pits.

Let's try and stick more with the main statement I made. That the selection of the monsters for the main pits is not what it should be in an arena.

Do you have any opinion about that?

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 11:28:48 am »
Even with no fighting skills at all every beginner can fight trepors without trouble

Ok, go into char creation, make a new character, click "Quick," choose enchanter, get yourself swords from harnquist, and go see how well you do against a trepor

See you in the DR, buddy

Tested, only one in DR is that lousy trepor.
Censorship FTW.

nedoko

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 08:22:33 pm »
I agree with no monsters in the halls. I was on the stairway to the viewing stands  and a rouge ran downstairs and killed me! I was thinking "Who the heck would make a giant building that has creatures and people ready to kill you in public halls".

sizey

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 03:18:52 am »
I think there should be one large main viewing arena for duelling comps etc. If people want to see monster fights they can just lure them in.

"Oops..... my sword arm twitched......"-Voralo Ranoyen

Morthius

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 02:53:24 am »
Not sure if this is an arena feature or not ( I'm kind of new ),but it would be sweet if you could join the arena as a gladiator and fight against monsters of your choice. Like, there would be a list or something and it would have options like: Survive 3 minutes against an infinite onslaught of clackers, or kill 2 trepors. Depending on the type of battle, you would get more reward money. Then, there could also be Matches. People would be put onto teams, 2 vs. 2 or 5 vs. 5 or whatever. Then, They would fight each other and the winning team would get rewarded with money (and the person who came in 1st, like most kills, might even get a rare item or something.) Just some ideas to put out there.

Oh, and also, thanks for the tip on the trepors. I was killing clackers at 50 EXP a piece and it took 4 of them for 1 PP. >_<( It took forever to even level 1 measly skill.) Now, I get 2,000 EXP and 10 PP for 1 trepor, and they die even faster than a clacker did. Now I get more EXP and PP in like 1 minute than I could in like 3 hours before. And, Trepor parts are worth a good chunk of cash. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 03:30:38 am by Morthius »

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 03:54:51 am »
Not sure if this is an arena feature or not ( I'm kind of new ),but it would be sweet if you could join the arena as a gladiator and fight against monsters of your choice. Like, there would be a list or something and it would have options like: Survive 3 minutes against an infinite onslaught of clackers, or kill 2 trepors. Depending on the type of battle, you would get more reward money. Then, there could also be Matches. People would be put onto teams, 2 vs. 2 or 5 vs. 5 or whatever. Then, They would fight each other and the winning team would get rewarded with money (and the person who came in 1st, like most kills, might even get a rare item or something.) Just some ideas to put out there.

Oh, and also, thanks for the tip on the trepors. I was killing clackers at 50 EXP a piece and it took 4 of them for 1 PP. >_<( It took forever to even level 1 measly skill.) Now, I get 2,000 EXP and 10 PP for 1 trepor, and they die even faster than a clacker did. Now I get more EXP and PP in like 1 minute than I could in like 3 hours before. And, Trepor parts are worth a good chunk of cash. Thanks again.
so something like what's in hack//G.U. yet something like that would require a different combat system to actually work

Madoring

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 05:58:00 pm »
I guess i kindof agree with this post, Maybe the arena should have tougher MOBs...
But then again, game is in beta.  Im sure they will work something better out with time

hulla

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 07:07:18 pm »
hi All
I think you dont understand some "little things" about the game !
First it is a "free project" for making something "for everybody" if you have "only" 9 years  and if you come you can enjoy a lot of things in game but in the other hand if you are a tennager i can understand what you said you want a "perfect" arena look on the web i can give you a terrific list of game whit a "perfect" arena manny monster to kill all the day !
but not in ps in planeshift the monster are not realy in game for "be killed" but just for helping you to make "xp"
You can said "i dont like" but you have no choice   :(

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 08:08:24 pm »
hi All
I think you dont understand some "little things" about the game !
First it is a "free project" for making something "for everybody" if you have "only" 9 years  and if you come you can enjoy a lot of things in game but in the other hand if you are a tennager i can understand what you said you want a "perfect" arena look on the web i can give you a terrific list of game whit a "perfect" arena manny monster to kill all the day !
but not in ps in planeshift the monster are not realy in game for "be killed" but just for helping you to make "xp"
You can said "i dont like" but you have no choice   :(

You're right, PS does suck. Let's go play RuneScape. I'm sure you'd fit in well.