Author Topic: /survey commands for players  (Read 393 times)

Omni-Tom

• Traveller
    • View Profile
/survey commands for players
« on: November 11, 2008, 01:57:47 pm »
 Hi Guys

The survey commands are available in a lot of mud games and may help with GUI. Generally you can see a lot in a graphics game but there is a point where the map falls off like a fog affect. I am not sure how this can be implemented with ground terrain where you are in a hilly area. Generally though it would be like /survey = you see a tower in front of you off in the distance. This is ok but generally limited as to global and also the roleplay aspect.

However it may be possible to use landmarks on the maps. Landmarks may be objects that are there to allow a player to take a bearing. They can be a tower or expanded to say there is a blue tower ...     and a red tower ...   a road sign if off to your right., A pile of stones etc etc. Also when nearer to a town it could say you seem what appears to be a towns tower far in front of you. As a player gets more game experience it could help with navigation and also in helping a newb find something such as a area.

Tontow

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: /survey commands for players
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:54:49 pm »
Currently, maps let you add little icon images and text.  Also, see my sig if you use windows, Nice little tool that you can use to make accurate and to scale maps.
Tontow's MapMaker Tool 2.0 : http://hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=33954.0 - Make your own maps by walking around and useing the /pos Command!
Site: http://sites.google.com/site/tontowmerlin/

neko kyouran

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 04:23:52 pm »
That command is in MUDs because those lack graphical representation of the characters surroundings to the player.

PS, the player can just look around them to see where they are.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 09:57:58 am »
If your computer can handle it, turn off adaptive camera and run your distance out to 1000. This will help a lot in seeing landmarks in unfamiliar territory.

Also, from the examples I have seen... Tontow's map maker is very much worth checking out... I would do so, but I run Linux and it is windows only. :(

While the large spires and trees have a bit of a cookie-cutter feel to them, they are different enough, that once you are familiar with them, you can navigate reasonably well by them.