Author Topic: Pitch Black Shadows?  (Read 2001 times)

mavj96

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Pitch Black Shadows?
« on: December 01, 2008, 09:23:57 pm »
I've used light correction to it's full extent and the shadows are pitch black in the game to the point where if the shadow is on anything but characters and mobs it will be unseeable.

p.s. The character loading bug stopped for me  :thumbup:

sadly huge new bug tho  :thumbdown:

gnomebuddy

• Traveller
  • known ingame as Resildren
    • View Profile
Re: Pitch Black Shadows?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:45:02 pm »
same problem here, areas effected on my client would be hydlaa, and first part of entrance to forest on way to magic shop. All seems fine in the wilds, and had no real problems up in the eagle, I have had to set my brightness apon login as it starts just to dark to see in the city (hydlaa) also I seem to crash if I run into the shadows, not sure if I should do a bugreport yet or wait for a few for everything to get settled?

(operating a linux box ubuntu intrepid , 1 gig mem 1.4 cpu and ge-force 4 mmx 440)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:48:06 pm by gnomebuddy »

catarina

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 07:40:42 am »
same problem here, areas effected on my client would be hydlaa, and first part of entrance to forest on way to magic shop. All seems fine in the wilds.......I have had to set my brightness apon login as it starts just to dark to see in the city (hydlaa) also I seem to crash if I run into the shadows, not sure if I should do a bugreport yet or wait for a few for everything to get settled?

To the OP and gnomebuddy,

Since running the updater yesterday morning, I have the same issue with living in darkness. Spoke with an advisor and also submitted a bug report (#2550, I believe is the task number). Two others aside from the three of us have reported the same issue. I was told that it was because of my graphics card, outdated drivers, and the graphics card not being able to 'handle' the new PS engine. If this is the case, I really have to wonder how many other people are having this problem, and how many people are going to seriously consider stopping playing because they can't see anything in the game.

Peace,
~rina

gnomebuddy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 01:41:55 pm »
to ~rina  :D thanks for making the bug report, I added what I could to explaining the issue, understanding that the upgrade as to the engine as well, I would expect a few bugs to surface, I wouldn't give up yet, the devs have been real great in hacking away at the priority  issues, and I'm sure they'll have a fix real soon

mavj96

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 03:19:46 pm »
To add though I'm pretty sure my computer isn't THAT outdated..

Plus I used to play and never had the shadows then and the only place I have them is Hydlaa no other cities..

argtjs

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 05:55:26 am »
I have the same problem since running the updater. I played with xgamma to try to get more light, but it does not make any real difference. I'm running a Debian Lenny, I have the latest driver available from xorg for an (rather old, I admit) ATI mobility 9000 (chipset r250).
The darkness issue renders the game almost unplayable.
I am open to testing if a dev will like to try a couple of things with my hardware.

mavj96

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 06:53:04 pm »
It only affects shadows in Hydlaa so it can't be a hardware problem  :P

gnomebuddy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 07:09:07 pm »
I noticed that when I turned off the vertex buffer object under the planeshift setup,
  it seemed to help overall on some of the brightness issue, but nothing seems to help with the shadows in and around Hydlaa.

Alerele Ahewenel

• Traveller
  • Yeah, I'm me. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
    • My planeshift related subdomain.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 06:42:28 am »
I have had the same problem, and have a, well, kinda fix.

New maps for Hydlaa plaza and Hydlaa East can be downloaded from http://planeshift.alphasys.nl and the problem lies in the lighting application of Crystal Space. Xordan is aware of this problem, and has already reported it in the bugtracker for CS. It's not a 100% fix, as Hydlaa will still be kinda dark, but at least it's not pitch black anymore.

Please make a backup of the two files before replacing them, as it's not guaranteed it will work for you, but it works for me, and at least two others I know of. If there are problems with other maps aswell, I might be able to tweak those in a similar manner, but let me know in this thread then.
Heisenberg's uncertainty principle: You never know if an Ulber is at his place or if he's killable. But it's there.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 08:02:10 pm »
May Talad bless you!!!   :woot:
Thanks Alerele!  This combined with a little brightness has gone a long way for me.  I was getting rather tired of bumping into things in Hydlaa.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

lanky101

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 08:21:45 pm »
I'm also having trouble with the shadows, however when I replaced the maps i was not able to log into the world, said unloadable or something . . .

Alerele Ahewenel

• Traveller
  • Yeah, I'm me. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
    • My planeshift related subdomain.
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 08:34:12 pm »
If you experience trouble, you can get your old maps back by running the updater again, maybe with the repair option... Or just put your backups back... The fix is mostly aimed at windows users. They seem to benefit from this fix, after getting this bug.
Heisenberg's uncertainty principle: You never know if an Ulber is at his place or if he's killable. But it's there.

gnomebuddy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 08:53:44 pm »
Talad's blessing to you,
playing in Braille  kept kept me from doing biz in the city,

thanks

Kilorian

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 08:16:38 pm »
Yes, this does not seem to fix the issue on my mac. Thanks for trying.

Uosdwis

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Halcyonic Bulwark Public Forum
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 01:37:14 am »
Must not be exactly a mac vs. win issue. As this fix works beautifully (if somewhat dimly) on my mac.

CPU Type: PowerPC G4  (3.3)
      Machine Name: Power Mac G4
      Machine Model: PowerMac3,6
      Memory: 2 GB
      Chipset Model: ATY,RV250
      VRAM (Total): 64 MB
          Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz
ProductVersion:   10.4.11

I can see Hydlaa now!   :thumbup:
Just giving you what you wanted.
Are you sure you like it?