Author Topic: need huge capacity storage  (Read 1566 times)

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
need huge capacity storage
« on: December 03, 2008, 12:15:39 am »
Ok, I realize the idea behind this is to avoid having tiny sacks that contain 20 claymores, and it works well on that level.

The problem is that objects such as closets and chests that only have around 50 capacity. I think, spatially, I could easily fit 30-40 sabres into one of those closets, but because of the low capacity limit the number is 5.

Because of this, the Dark Warmongers guildhouse has 100+ items lying around in it, and most of them are sacks/boxes/cabinets containing the hundreds upon hundreds of good items we find. I don't need to tell you how much the framerate drops just by entering the house. What we really need are (in the guildhouses at least) some way of efficiently storing all our things. Moving items into sacks, while resulting in a 1/3 drop in number of objects, doesn't really manage to help. If we had about 10 cabinets with a quite realistic 300 or 500 capacity, life would be so much better.
There is an alternative, more probable theory that 9/11 was in fact caused by Hanson's 1997 smash hit 'MMMBop.'

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: need huge capacity storage
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 12:25:08 am »
Weapon racks would look even better, wouldn't they?

And how about a storeroom that would actually be just (the model of) a door, treated like a lockable container of large capacity?

Prolix

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:36:51 am »
Maybe you should change the guilds name to "The Overburdened Packrats" or sell some stuff. Then again bigger containers would be useful. The idea is fairly obvious so might be better in the complaint department than the wishlist.

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:45:05 am »
Maybe you should change the guilds name to "The Overburdened Packrats" or sell some stuff.

People (me included) are naturally hesitant about selling enchanted items with stat bonuses and 200q+ weapons that we keep in stock should anyone need them.

We have a guild of 136 members at the last count, and we tend to stockpile things for new members.

Not to mention I did just sell about 50 items that were lying around and it did little to improve things :P

Weapon racks would look even better, wouldn't they?

And how about a storeroom that would actually be just (the model of) a door, treated like a lockable container of large capacity?

We actually use shelves that we put weapons on and they look like weapon racks, the problem is this does nothing to improve the severe lag caused by having lots of objects. I like the storage room idea though.
There is an alternative, more probable theory that 9/11 was in fact caused by Hanson's 1997 smash hit 'MMMBop.'

Prolix

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 01:27:17 am »
That is funny I routinely sell magic weapons to the npc's and most of the weapons I craft. Those are not so good, I'm not patient enough to achieve 200 even yet. Perhaps what you need for the time being is a new class of member, doesn't even need to be an official member, and that is "porter" You could have about 50000 "porters" in the guildhouse and only log on the ones you need when you need them. Of course I do not mass recruit for my non-existent guilds so do not need to bribe the members with stuff. That will solve your immediate problem although it brings its own challenges.

Anyway I'm sure more rooms and bigger containers are planned for when somebody has time and inclination.

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 01:39:25 am »
the problem with that is that only the person who deposits items can access them.

We do not bribe newbies with stuff, gaining items and weapons is just a benefit of joining a large community like ours, and this is not a thread about warmonger practices and ethics

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 03:26:19 am »
If the stuff lying around is for new members I still dont know why you need 100+ items, how many new members do you attract everyweek?
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 04:22:43 am »
it's stock weapons + members personal gear + stuff thats too good to dispose of

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 12:10:01 pm »
I'd like to see more carrying capacity in character inventories.  More inventory slots, etc.

Houses I don't care about since they only effect the richest characters in the game, who don't really need anymore help.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Akeera

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 01:08:11 pm »
playground of the rich:
picture

:whistling:

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 01:39:13 pm »
playground of the rich:
picture

you are lucky that it doesn't lag :D

One and only tanner

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The internet makes you stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 01:46:01 pm »
playground of the rich:
picture

if i was rich i would not spend my time there :D

yanom

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:24:35 pm »
How about a magical sack? It has near infinite capacity, but it weighs the sum of everything that's in it

Toox

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 01:37:08 am »
How about a magical sack? It has near infinite capacity, but it weighs the sum of everything that's in it

Ok, I realize the idea behind this is to avoid having tiny sacks that contain 20 claymores, and it works well on that level.

;)

I agree with Gravemind's idea. The storage closets should have more capacity. You should write a report on the bugtracker, Gravemind.  :P Wouldn't recommend leaving the front door unlocked, though.

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 03:25:16 am »
I'd like to see more carrying capacity in character inventories.  More inventory slots, etc.

Houses I don't care about since they only effect the richest characters in the game, who don't really need anymore help.

character inventories have plenty of space. if you're running out of inventory slots and you can still walk, bags will easily solve the problem because the items would have to be small + light