Author Topic: Dwarven Clans  (Read 2718 times)

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Dwarven Clans
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:00:33 pm »
Does anyone still roleplay this 'rivalry', or is it just a guild rivalry now? Hammerwielders and Stonebreakers are NOT brothers. I guarantee that when the Hammerwielders get their own skin/mesh/art (whatever you want to call it) and stop sharing the Stonebreaker one, the guilds paying absolutely no attention to Hammerwielder/Stonebreaker differences will fall, since you'll no longer be able to do the endlessly long lines of dwarves wearing the same armor and weapons.

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Clans
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 01:27:07 am »
Sure they are not brodders. They are not rasta either.
But even without using gangsta chat, we usually say hello before we read the character description. At least they are all dwarves.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 10:57:52 am »
I'm pretty sure that "dovoy brodr" is the Stonebreaker tongue, anyway (correct me if I'm wrong). That would mean that people playing as Hammerwielders are also using their rival clan's language to call their...rival clan, or even their own clan, their brother. I think the dwarf RP has really been mislead; I have yet to see someone even acknowledge the clan rivalry.

Raekh

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:23:10 am »
While you know I am pretty much agreeing with you on that, Shaman, and I like your ingame approach there, I do suppose this cant be fixed without having proper models.
I remember well the time when dermorian women had the ynnwn model. Those days people tended to play them as tall ladies - now with the model fixed they more or less at once are played like cute lovely ladies (or at least not as tall ones! lol). Same for the nolthrir women.

As for an offtopic remark: Looking forward for when diaboli men wont be much taller than dermorians anymore lol ;)

Zwenze

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 02:38:28 pm »
Who says there is a rivalry between stone breakers and hammer wielders? Afaik there is no such thing as racism in hydlaa and as far as i know there is also  no rivalry between the two dwarven tribes.

And what speakes against an parade of dwarves wearing the same armor and items? Leather armor stays leather armor, even if worn by a hammer wielder or a stone breaker. Is there someone yealous for our cute parades?  ;D

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 02:40:06 pm »
You're right, there is no racism in Hydlaa. Hammerwielders and Stonebreakers are both the dwarf race, though. This is a clan, aka family rivalry, though. And maybe rivalry is the wrong word, but to put it simply: they don't like each other that much to call each other "brothers".

Zwenze

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 02:47:12 pm »
It is broders, and as far as i know they have no issues with each other.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 02:52:55 pm »
Stonebreakers:

They have a strong pride that sometimes develops into feuds with other clans or other races. They tend to be suspicious and quarrelsome towards other races that are taller than they are.

Note also that Stonebreakers are the shorter of the two clans. Because Stonebreakers have this "pride", they certainly wouldn't call their Hammerwielder "brethren" "brodrs"...and no, every dwarf I've seen has used "brodr" as opposed to "broder", but broder does make more sense to me anyway.

Hammerwielders would also take pride in their fighting prowess, and perhaps belittle the Stonebreakers because of both their short stature and, from the website, "rough as a dwarf" refers to Hammerwielders, instead of the other clans, which would give them a strong ego.

Zwenze

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 03:08:10 pm »
broder was a typo. it is in fact brodr.

Grimr

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 04:04:06 pm »
Of course there is a bit of friendly rivalry between stonebreakers and hammerwielders. Stonebreakers tend to be the better miners and crafters. while hammerwielders are the better fighters, so each clan takes pride in trying to outperform the other clan in their field of excellence. But in the end, they always will have a beer together, and call eachother brodr, because that's what they are: brodrs!
Ach du, ach das ist dumm: Wer sich nicht in Gefahr begibt – der kommt drin um.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 04:05:39 pm »
No they aren't. If you're from family A, and I'm from family B, then I won't walk up to you and call you my brother, because you're from a different family. What you just said is the current state of affairs, not what's specified in settings.

Also, Hammerwielders are the better crafters and fighters. Stonebreakers just mine.

Cilay_mecur

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 05:41:29 pm »
I Dont think any of the guilds in game claim to be Hammerwielder or stonebreaker only , just "Dwarven" guilds. So i dont think once they each get their own skin that your "guarantee" of failer will come true.

I think the term Brodr will still be used, as they are still dwarven race just diffrent clan. I only see a friendly rivalry between the two and dont think it would come to any break up of guilds.
Cilay Mecur,
Keeper of the Hammer,
The Way of the Hammer

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 05:52:48 pm »
What's the point of a dwarven guild, though? I can maybe understand if you go under the mentality that you "need each other", where the Stonebreakers mine the ores, the Hammerwielders fashion them into weapons, and then they're distributed to the other Hammerwielders for combat...but that isn't the case, is it? It's more like stereotypes are completely ignored, and no matter which clan you are you don't roleplay any sort of difference, "friendly" rivalry, or anything...I'm failing to see anyone go around as a "proud Stonebreaker" or a "proud Hammerwielder"...just a "proud dwarf", which makes the different clans absolutely pointless.

Also, there are two different kinds of elves: Dermorians and Nolthrirs. You don't see them going around calling each other brothers or anything though, do you? They don't have any sort of rivalry because they aren't an egotistical race (proud, filled with pride, etc.), yet the dwarves are, meaning they would constantly have fights over which one is better.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 06:31:15 pm by Shaman »

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 08:19:10 pm »
Don't forget there isn't any dwarven town so far. New spawn points will also play their part in this issue.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 09:09:43 am »
How much rivalry does it take to turn an incentive into hate, by losing the respect? - Don't Stone{b|B}reakers wield hammers too?

Most dwarven-char players will possibly agree to some rivalry, but in a "sportive" way. It reminds me on some laws regarding advertising (e.g. that you may call yourself "better", but may not call your opponent "worse", especially not namely).

I'd like to read the opinion of the Settings team here... but I expect this to take a bit time to decide well, this is surely a sensitive topic. I don't expect that a member of one clan would reject a handshake or an offered beer from a member of the other. But if the Settings team declares just that, we would have to adjust our roleplaying probably...
__

P.S.: Don't miss to look differently at the past, the presence, and the future. "Dwarvesbane vs. Dwarven Star" is a young chapter in the books of history of Yliakum.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:11:35 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty