Author Topic: Dwarven Clans  (Read 2753 times)

Cuhar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Clans
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 12:57:27 pm »
Well, obviously we StoneBreakers are much more skilled than the HammerWeilders,  ;D but well, some have to support the guild, so we couldn't leave "The Way of The Hammer" just in hands of the HammerWielders... May be we should ask for the name to be changed to "The Way of The Hammers and Picks"?  ;D. And I have great friends among the HammerWielders, they already have enough with being so clumsy diggers compared to us; in the end we are all brodrs, and united, much more stronger...

[ ooc: IMHO, the differences between both races, if they really would be rivals -what  I don't think too much- wouldn't be very different from those among different regions of a country, for example... ]

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 01:08:47 pm »
People seem to be making a false dichotomy out of it. It isn't terrible blatant racism vs. blissful companionship.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Eathon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 01:13:22 pm »
I agree with Parallo. At any rate, by its very definition, racism is impossible - the parties involved are clans or families, rather than separate races. This is more of clan rivalry, not necessarily open war or discrimination, perhaps more in the way of a competitive aspect.

Raekh

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 01:45:27 pm »
If both of those two dwarvish races were almost the same, why not having only one dwarven race at all? Appears to me almost like having the choice of races "horned ynnwn" and "hornless ynnwn".
Why caring about it at all? Because of the limitations to come?
I would prefer to have one dwarf race replaced by some obviously different one instead, like something troll-like or some such.

Two dwarven "races", both the same except for each preference of job, maybe hair color and slight differences in height - looks unnecessary to me.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 01:24:58 am »
Why different dwarven "races"/clans? ... To have another topic to roleplay about. ;) ;)

Or in other words: Ask Talad and the Settings. Whoever originally founded the set of races.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 01:27:26 pm »
Why different dwarven "races"/clans? ... To have another topic to roleplay about. ;) ;)

Or in other words: Ask Talad and the Settings. Whoever originally founded the set of races.

Well, here's the thread, and they watch the forums. They just need to give their input.

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 02:49:17 pm »
There is no known 'rivalry' of the sort you speak. And there never has been. The dwarves are two clans of probably the same race (with slight evolutionary changes, such as underwent the nolthrir due to the Azure Sun's effect on them). Thus why they are called 'Clans'. They stem from the same race. As for not calling each other IRL 'brother' or 'sister' outside of family, that's not true, many people consider all humans to be 'brothers' and 'sisters' inside or outside of race. I'd say the difference between a Stonebreaker and a Hammerwielder is like that of a white man and a black man. Both a white man and a black man are humans, correct? However, they have slightly different inherent body structures, and generally different areas of ability. However, they are both humans, and I know a lot of white guys that get called brother every day by black guys, and vice versa, all friendly and that good stuff. And not only black/white people, I was merely using that as an example. If you start flaming me for it, shame on you :P

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 02:57:23 pm »
Our definition of "race" in real life is different from Planeshift's. White men and black men are considered two different "races", but two different kinds of dwarves are (or should be) considered as two different families, while a dwarf and a human are considered two different races. So, that argument is defeated. I'd say wait for settings, now. This is purely an opinionated thread that can only be resolved by something official.

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 03:05:30 pm »
No.... the Dwarves stem from the same race, they are the same with slight physical differences, and slight cultural differences.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 03:06:24 pm »
No.... the Dwarves stem from the same race, they are the same with slight physical differences, and slight cultural differences.

Did I say they were a different race? No.

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 03:09:16 pm »
Well i may have misunderstood, but in that case, your argument does nothing to support your case and in fact doesn't defeat mine... The dwarves are the same 'species' aka, the same difference as between a black man and a white man. I will suggest you read my earlier example once more.

Edit: Furthermore, as I said earlier, there is no indication of any rivalry of any sort within the settings, though by their psychological natures they would seem to have maybe a sporting rivalry, friendly rivalry [sibling rivalry ;-)], but as for them disliking each other, totally wrong. I would expect that dwarves would stand side by side as both are 'shorter'. Calling each other 'brother' would suggest a sense of brotherhood between them due to their many similar traits.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:13:07 pm by Farren Kutter »

Prolix

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 04:19:46 pm »
The smaller the stakes the more vicious the battles over them and there are fewer stakes smaller than dwarven stakes.....

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 01:15:22 pm »
You will get your input in the game when it is ready. For now, that information may not be completely set in stone. Right now, there are no major feuds or conflicts between Hammers and Stones. There are pride related issues and competition , of course, just as there are in any two disparate cultures. In 'today's' culture, you can think of them a bit like sports rivalries in the way they would act towards one another. They get along great with one another until they start talking about their teams, and who is better. Then you might end up with the occasional barroom brawl (no weapons and without the intent of killing the other guy).

In extreme examples of what the cultures lean towards, I like to say Hammers are closer to Klingons (pride in individual strength and a love of battle), and Stones are closer to Hippies (pride in community and a love of hard work and progress). In both cases, there is a strong pride in just being a Dwarf.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 02:54:08 pm »
You will get your input in the game when it is ready. For now, that information may not be completely set in stone. Right now, there are no major feuds or conflicts between Hammers and Stones. There are pride related issues and competition , of course, just as there are in any two disparate cultures. In 'today's' culture, you can think of them a bit like sports rivalries in the way they would act towards one another. They get along great with one another until they start talking about their teams, and who is better. Then you might end up with the occasional barroom brawl (no weapons and without the intent of killing the other guy).

In extreme examples of what the cultures lean towards, I like to say Hammers are closer to Klingons (pride in individual strength and a love of battle), and Stones are closer to Hippies (pride in community and a love of hard work and progress). In both cases, there is a strong pride in just being a Dwarf.

Hippies love hard work and progress?  I find that hippies tend to be more conservative than progressive... they don't like the direction that science has taken us, and they gravitate towards folk remedies and shamanistic healing rather than modern medicine.  They aren't traditionalist though, unless it's their own traditions (buying into the group etc), so in that sense they're progressive.  Once you get into secular humanistic trends though, you have to throw pride out the window.

What's a klingon?
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Zwenze

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 03:22:03 pm »

Stonebreakers just mine.

I interpret settings different then you.