Author Topic: Academic Institutions of Yliakum Review  (Read 2811 times)

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Academic Institutions of Yliakum Review
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 10:20:30 am »
How about them actually studying in game instead of selecting a settings option?

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 10:36:03 am »
Heh, that'd be preferable for sure.  But anything to rid the world of "She was made slave by the evil kind" backstories is good by me ;)
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 10:37:35 am »
The point of the thread is to create a fount of information on things that people already RP in the game. At least, that's what I got out of it.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 11:06:59 am »
The point of the thread is to create a fount of information on things that people already RP in the game. At least, that's what I got out of it.

If this is true then I say that is what the game is for and not the forums.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 11:20:30 am »
Mathy, the forums are but an extension of the game, and this forum in particular is good for the organization of such a thing.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 12:16:29 pm »
Well, I remember a guild "KidsCorner" which played a school for young characters, but that disappeared already long ago, due to a lack of "child" characters. ]

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=32163.0 I have seen members of this guild around if you want child characters.

As for you Farren. I will not argue the point being that I am just watching the forums now and no longer playing.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

jaycol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://salonatest.sa.funpic.de/CoD_banner1.jpg
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 11:38:35 am »
 [ This actually has potential, if you actually think about it. Many stories, and character description do not fit into the at the moment settings. Most of us come from (Blank) town located in (Blank) territory. Growing up and learning (Blank) from (Blank) and (Blank), whom were renown for their skills in (Blank). Under their careful guidance we learned the art of (Blank) for (Blank) many years, and were forever thankful for the teachings of (Blank) and (Blank). So having fulfilled the requirements of (Blank) and (Blank)'s teachings. We set out from (Blank) to find our own place in the world. Wearing the (blank) style of clothing that was suited to the people from  the territory of (Blank). Arriving in the city of Hydlaa we met a strange Kraa named (Blank) who asked us where we were from. In which we answered " We are from the town of (Blank) in the (Blank) territory. We are humble students of (Blank). taught by the masters (Blank) and (Blank). Having learned of the ways of (Blank), we have journeyed here to teach and our skills to the citizens of this fair city." We tell (Blank) as we adjust our common (blank) style of clothing. (Blank) nods and says, " I have always wished to learn more of the ways of (Blank).  But, (Blank is such a rare skill that there are no teachers of it in my small town of (Blank). All that is there to learn are (Blank) and (Blank)."]

[ He,he. All fun aside. The forums are a good resource for which to place such things. It not only offers some ideas and useful things to new players it also gives the opportunity for older players to add depth to their characters. I personally do not believe in the best of the best school or training facility, but that comes with an establish reputation. To learn or perform such things in-game would require them to be set up as (events) activities by players for players. There seems to be little of that available. A thread like this can be used to shortcut that and bring an interested student to the teachers of said craft, skill, religion, or trade.]

[ Using my character as an example. Lets says Jaycol decides he wishes to take on a few apprentices for the mercantile trade. He has quite a background for it. So he could write up a small background story here with his interest of teaching the craft of being a merchant. The interested students then can contact him for learning at times available to each of them, with out it having to be a organized into a activity for everyone. That could keep this thread into the prospective of the current settings. While allowing characters to add to their personal background and character descriptions. It would also give the characters that claim to teach such things an easier way to set up their teachings for others. As their teaching becomes more popular they can then expand to a larger (event) activity.]

[ So I think that a thread like this could be helpful in many ways. And! under the careful eyes of the Forums Police, and maybe the settings department when they have time. This can be a valuable resource that can expand RP in-game. Giving the opportunity for characters to work with older characters who have established a reputation for their skills and trades. I think the idea posted here is credible, but it needs to be nurtured to keep it within the guidelines of settings and game play.]

[New players do often bring good ideas. Though, not understanding the whole idea of what is allowed. (Not even sure I even do half the time.) Instead of "YOUR IDEA STINKS!" why don't we try to look out what they are trying to say, and offer our experience, and/or knowledge in a way that can help them develop that idea into a workable solution, if there is one. The original suggestion may have been outside the lines, but the idea itself is a good one that is quite workable, and can be built upon. So, establishing that as it is. Lets see some alternatives that would work using the foundation of the idea. To offer choices of background and depth to which a character can use to develop.]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:43:01 am by jaycol »