Author Topic: Academic Institutions of Yliakum Review  (Read 2825 times)

Lieutenant-Colonel Kokore

Academic Institutions of Yliakum Review
« on: January 16, 2009, 07:20:06 am »
[I thought it would be cool if I Made somewhere people could put some ideas for Charm Schools(A Planeshift designed idea), Military Academy's, Magic Schools(Glyph), Druidic Academy's(Natural magic, Rilos) and Medical Academy's(Field Medicine, RP based). I thought it would be really cool if we could put something on forums that people might be willing to use in their Characters Back stories.]

A.I.Y Review
Academic Institutes of Yliakum Review
We here at A.I.Y are asking you the public to help us! Did you go to anywhere Educational? Do any schooling? Well then tell us, write to us your reports on any and all Academic places you learned!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:18:58 pm by Lieutenant-Colonel Kokore »

Re: Academic Institutions of Yliakum Review
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »
[Heres an example of what I thought we could have]
Chieftain Kolan's Academy of Military skills.
In the large Enkidukai village of Dremar, The only major attraction would be the military academy. This is Amateur reporter A. T. Raveller here to take you on a quick look into the infamously strict Chieftain Kolan's Academy of Military skills. Chieftain Kolan opened the academy, bringing with him an abundance experience from a lifetime fighting in an unnamed Tribal despute between two tribes of Enkidukai Yliakum from creatures from the stone labyrinths, as a result his academy maintains a reputation as producing some of the fiercest guerrilla style fighters Yliakum has ever seen. Students are taught that grace and finesse are as not important in combat as speed, while some might disagree stating that Force is needed to be a superior fighter.
The General fitness training is the highest in difficulty in the entire first level, and it manages to be in the top four of all of Yliakum. With students forced to adhere to a strict schedule of waking early and sleeping late, and often switching to sleep in the day and training at night, it promises that students will be turned into the perfect examples of Guerrilla Fighters. As a graduation Students are sent in groups to the nearest entrance to the stone labyrinths and told to return with something, varying from a dozen rat hides to A thirty Grendol hearts, depending on the average skill of the group.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 03:13:52 am »
Okay... well that failed.... damnit... anyway, if someone could delete this thread or whatever, oh and I apparently can't send personal messages, so Donari Tyndale, no I'm not A_Traveller, but I've read all his threads, thought he might like it if I used his name, Digging for brownie points XD

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:08:08 am »
You want to know why your thread failed? Obviously you did not bother about the settings, Dremar, conflicts between Enkidukai, "Chieftains" and the claims of the academy to have the "best fitness training" and being among the best four academies are unheard of in Yliakum. Furthermore, as an "aspiring author" as you claim yourself to be, I would recommend spell checking. English doesn't contain too many words spelled in capital letters ;). Oh, and your name. Lieutenant-Colonel? Wow. Seriously, I wonder if such a title even exists in Yliakum. Call me General Donair the Corsair then.

Another thing that is crucial to your thread is the fact that this has not been done in game. Why not? Writing stuff up and posting it as results on the forums is kind of phail (epic type). That is the mistake A_Traveller did, he just posted things as results of proclaimed in game history. Did you know Donari's ancestors conquered all of Yliakum? I've yet to post the story, but beware, they'll rule you soon.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 08:09:13 am »
Nevertheless, interesting point. I wonder how much this academy will differ from the "Knowledge Seekers University"... BTW, KS celebrated their 4th anniversary not long ago.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:00:37 pm »
I wasn't aware that spelling was so fiercely enforced on something so casual as a forum for a video game in a section for players to write ideas, Direct me to the forums Spellcheck and I will happily take the time to use it.
The title of Lieutenant-Colonel is a military rank. Much like Briagadier-General, of which there is someone on forums. I'll admit it is a much larger rank of course and probably have a lot more in game experience than me. I have only been able to play a character on a friends account. The rank of Lieutenant-Colonel is a common-place rank in almost any military I don't see how amongst all the Guard services and guild set ups, an entire rank could mysteriously dissappear.
As for the village, Of all the villages players have to choose for their characters home town, there only exists Hydlaa, Gugrontid and Ojaveda? wow what happened did a big chunk of Yliakum just collapse or something?

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 09:10:38 am »
Try asking looking around in game, there are tons of towns. NPCs and players chat, after all. There is a fridge in every house, but does that imply there are fridges in Yliakum? You can not apply RL standards to Yliakum.

Anumesa

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 04:40:55 am »
[Donari....lighten up a bit please.

Lieutenant-Colonel Kokore, i love this idea but i do suggest reading a bit of the ingame settings and making a few tweaks here and there ;) ]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 08:36:13 am by Anumesa »

Setmotlevich

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 05:43:49 am »
[The Scholars of the Dark Empire should be mentioned in this thread.  I'm resistant to write up a long description here, since there are already posts on the forum about the order, and it's better to find out about guilds by interacting with players in-game.  Still, members of the Scholars are well organized, intelligent, articulate, helpful, and creative.  The order has written many books, most of which are only available to those who have access to the Dark Empire's private collection.]

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 07:18:36 am »
Zanzibar/Setmotlevich, I think the DE fares well enough without being mentioned in this thread. I agree with you that there is already enough presence of them on the forum, no need for another duplicate.

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 08:30:24 am »
[It's actually a pity this thread didn't get any attention, it's a pretty good idea and the Scholars would be a good guild to be put here.  The scholars actually have very little information about them on the forums for now as they are so completely different after the recent changes.]
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 08:44:39 am »
[ I'm starting to understand the purpose of this thread, finally... Yes, indeed, a collection of educational organisations and experiences would be a good thing, as there seems to be a slight kind of "lack of education" regarding existing in-game structures, guilds, organisations. Of course, members of a guild will learn from their guild pals, single characters may learn from other friendly characters, there are numerous general "helping" guilds -- but there is no school building regarding the map and engine development state, and there are only few "primarily education-related" guilds; more or less just one, the "Knowledge Seekers"... Well, I remember a guild "KidsCorner" which played a school for young characters, but that disappeared already long ago, due to a lack of "child" characters. ]

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 09:11:37 am »
Yeah, Scholars are totally different now, but only in terms of ranks and structure. The aim remains the same however, and that is the pursuit of knowlege and the education of Imperials.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 09:52:16 am »
I think this thread is rather about making up things and posting them here so your character can claim he learned there.

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 10:03:55 am »
Mhm, which is a pity, but a similar thread with things that are ingame or in the settings that a player could use as background would be good.  "Studied alongside Imperial Scholars" for instance.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.