Author Topic: Unofficial PlaneShift Help Channel on IRC  (Read 2093 times)

Anumesa

Unofficial PlaneShift Help Channel on IRC
« on: January 30, 2009, 03:01:26 pm »
Announcing the unofficial PlaneShift help channel!! You can find us on irc Freenode as #ps-help

Are you new to PlaneShift and unsure where to start? Unsure of what server would be a better fit for you? Are you having client issues? Are you stuck in the tutorial?

Sometimes the forums can be a bit intimidating or confusing to find the answer to your questions. In #ps-help once you join, just simply poke one of the idling members and someone would be glad to answer your question. As a live help channel, no question is too frequent and we will gladly take the time to help each and every one of you get set up with PlaneShift.

Also, if you like advising in-game and know how to use irc, we would love to have your help.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 03:20:12 pm by Anumesa »

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
PlaneShift Help Channel on IRC
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 03:11:40 pm »
Help us out and pull that color formatting off your text...

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:01:12 pm »
Announcing the unofficial PlaneShift help channel!! You can find us on irc Freenode as #ps-help
Are you new to PlaneShift and unsure where to start? Unsure of what server would be a better fit for you? Are you having client issues? Are you stuck in the tutorial?

ALL official planeshift irc channels should be able to help you with these same things, i dont personally see a reason for someone to drop by an unofficial channel where there will be no planeshift staff members to get help. The official channels are there for a reason to help all and the staff is there to make sure the help is gotten. Also you cant gurantee that your channel will have people that can help in all areas that the main official channels can due to their official support staff.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 05:07:32 pm »
Hello

This topic might have to be split to a discussion thread.
As a start I'd like to link to a Feature Request... http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=2430
The other channels might be there for help, but they simply don't work very well for it.

Sen

#EDIT# Added a small but meaningful "don't"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:10:18 pm by Sen »
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Anumesa

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 05:18:21 pm »

ALL official planeshift irc channels should be able to help you with these same things, i dont personally see a reason for someone to drop by an unofficial channel where there will be no planeshift staff members to get help. The official channels are there for a reason to help all and the staff is there to make sure the help is gotten. Also you cant gurantee that your channel will have people that can help in all areas that the main official channels can due to their official support staff.

Actually i see a lot of people getting NO help when they ask for it, or getting made fun of if they ask a simple question in the main channels. We have several GMs who have kindly volunteered their time to also help answer questions so YES we do have staff members in the room. This is a room where you can guaranteed get help if you need it and you can ask even the most frequently asked questions without getting made fun of or shut down by anyone. A new person may not know who to ask to get help, and we can help them get in touch with the correct people should there be a problem that we cannot solve.

-If anyone has any suggestions or questions regarding the channel, you are more then welcome to visit us (or PM me if you like) :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:24:50 pm by Anumesa »

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 05:24:48 pm »
And those who are -detrimental- to helping new players will be banned from the channel until they can prove they can (and will) be helpful.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:34:53 pm by Farren Kutter »

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 05:53:43 pm »
We have several GMs who have kindly volunteered their time to also help answer questions so YES we do have staff members in the room.
Good to know.

Prolix

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 06:10:50 pm »
but the whole deal with the official channels is "No Spoilers!!!" Now it may be that people will start a private session with you to give you the help you are looking for but it has been my experience that it does not happen all that often. As far as I am concerned real help includes spoilers. That is just me though.

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 12:26:53 am »
I personally try not to give spoilers.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 02:25:29 am »
A great idea, Anumesa. I agree that a channel like this is useful. You might set up rules which make clear that the channel is for help only and not for chit-chat or goofing around. I think the biggest problem is: How to let the new players know about the channel?

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 02:32:27 am »
We chit-chat and goof around, but not when someone needs help. Whenever someone needs help, all of that basically stops until the person is helped to the best of our capabilities.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 03:02:47 am »
Good morning

At the moment we try our best and the channel servers already as help channel for advisors to ask for opinions.
Leading new players to this help-centered channel ist difficult and possibly the point where we have to rely on some 'official' support.

Sen

Anumesa

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 04:09:08 am »
A great idea, Anumesa. I agree that a channel like this is useful. You might set up rules which make clear that the channel is for help only and not for chit-chat or goofing around. I think the biggest problem is: How to let the new players know about the channel?

I am still trying to set it up (working with an in-channel bot) etc...but once everything is set up i would actually prefer if it were and idle-only channel without chit-chat. This way those of use who are in several rooms can know right away when their help is needed. As for goofing around: if you are not there to help or to receive help then you do not belong in this channel.  I am still trying to figure out how to let people know about it, but i will worry about that more once things are more finished.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 05:26:58 am »
We chit-chat and goof around, but not when someone needs help. Whenever someone needs help, all of that basically stops until the person is helped to the best of our capabilities.

Actually thats not quite true while I was at work last week (and noticed too late) someone asked a few questions and was basically ignored he ended up leaving, thats not the first time, it happens on numerous occasions
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 05:37:16 am »

Actually thats not quite true while I was at work last week (and noticed too late) someone asked a few questions and was basically ignored he ended up leaving, thats not the first time, it happens on numerous occasions

I believe Farren meant that in the irc help channel it will be handled like this.
That in #planeshift things like you described happen is a reason why #ps-help was created...

Sen