Author Topic: pvp on role play server  (Read 1409 times)

Ulchishy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
pvp on role play server
« on: April 12, 2009, 01:37:37 pm »
hi guys . i have some suggestions about pvp system on the role play server . as we know , pvp isn't free , i mean that you must challenge someone to battle with him . if he doesn't accept , you can't attack him . if pvp was free people would attack everyone and this thing is not realistic because everyone would attack anyone anytime and in reality people don't attack anyone anytime . yes , but in medieval times , for example , you could attack everyone without limitations so the game system isn't realistic under this point of view . besides this contradiction , the problem when you put a free pvp system in a role play game exists because there would be a killing spree everywhere . i have an idea to solve it : when i play i like to be free , completely free , and this includes also attacking anyone , anytime , anywhere . the solution is this : pvp could be free but in order to stop player killers penalities could grow . for example death penalities . in medieval times , for example , people didn't attack anyone because they could die or be punished by justice . in my opinion , death penalities for pks would grow , for example they could lose half of their skill points if they die . so someone would think two or more times before attacking someone without any reason . but there is a problem : in games where there is free pvp , is introduced also flag system : player killers are marked with red and so on . now , this isn't realistic : when someone , in medieval times , meet a killer he didn't say : '' Oh look , he's red , he's a killer '' , you don't know anything about him . in my opinion , there wouldn't be any flag system . the system could be like this : the server registers , for each player , the number of avatars that he kills out of guild or nation wars . if he dies during a battle , he would lose half of his skill points . now , let's look to the problems . a pk can always attack new players and kill them , because they're not strong , without penalizations : how to stop it ? . since Planeshift is a skill-based game , differences between a player with 20 of sword and one with 100 wouldn't be abyssal , so 2 or 3 starter players can kill an older player if they know how to play . Let's see another suggestion : challenging system wouldn't be taken off . if someone wants to fight with a friend , he can challenge him . i suggeste that when in duel mode , no one would die . these things would permit people who like pvp , like me , to fight and people who don't like very much to fight to do other things without being killed always by other players . whay don't we discuss about these things here ? thank you

ps : sorry for the stupid examples of medieval times XD

Nykolai Raskaniov

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: pvp on role play server
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:53:29 pm »
Well, most of the things have already been proposed, discussed or even implemented in some form or another.

There is a non lethal challenge system already, and some zones with full pvp on. Try to explore the current possibilities of the game a bit more and see how it works. Some things are more balanced towards realism, so seeing players in different colours is not very likely to happen.

/Offtopic

Unrelated comment regarding your writing style - whereas I appreciate that you use punctuation (unlike many others) please try to separate your ideas using paragraphs or group the together somehow to make them easier to follow and read.
"Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face."

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:25:23 am »
When I get a challenge, I think of it as a message like "______ wants to fight you!  Will you fight or flee?"

It's perfectly acceptable to decline a fight, but if the challenge was made appropriately then you should react to it appropriately if you decline it (by running away, or something similar).
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Prolix

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:45:57 am »
I personally do not like open pvp systems but perhaps you could tie in faith levels for protection. For example an extremely pious -- as provided by questing -- adherent of Talad might be immune to magical attacks and have physical attacks magically healed, a Dakkru follower might have a multiplicative damage mirror such that any damage taken is additionally reflected back on the attacker so that both attacker and target might wind up in the death realm. Other effects could be worked out for the other gods. Rabid pkers might lose whatever godly alignment they have and be taken over by the Black Flame.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:41:44 pm »
I personally do not like open pvp systems but perhaps you could tie in faith levels for protection. For example an extremely pious -- as provided by questing -- adherent of Talad might be immune to magical attacks and have physical attacks magically healed, a Dakkru follower might have a multiplicative damage mirror such that any damage taken is additionally reflected back on the attacker so that both attacker and target might wind up in the death realm. Other effects could be worked out for the other gods. Rabid pkers might lose whatever godly alignment they have and be taken over by the Black Flame.

This seems like the start of a new wish thread rather than anything connected to the thread you posted it in.  That said, I like the idea, however it would require a new magic system that exists alongside but separate from the current Way system.  I'm not sure the developers want to take Ways out of the game and replace them with religions?
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.