Author Topic: A few suggestions from a new(ish) player  (Read 628 times)

Kythion

• Wayfarer
  • GO COLORADO AVALANCHE!
    • View Profile
A few suggestions from a new(ish) player
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:30:06 pm »
Hello all PS players!

I started a week ago today and here are a two suggestions I have came up with to better the game play.

1. Have a log out button; It's very annoying to have to exit the client every time I want to change characters. I don't switch very often, but it's still an inconvenience.

2. Have a world map! When I started out I got a quest that led me to Oja. It took me AT LEAST 45 minutes to find my way over to Oja. A world map on the game screen or a link to a popup map would help everyone, especially newer players so they can find their way around. (Include markers on the map for important areas i.e. Where to smith, where to cook, etc.)

Eat. Sleep. Live. HOCKEY.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: A few suggestions from a new(ish) player
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:08:03 pm »
1. Have a log out button; It's very annoying to have to exit the client every time I want to change characters. I don't switch very often, but it's still an inconvenience.
This was suggested a long time ago.  It's a very good suggestion, and is already on the way.

2. Have a world map! When I started out I got a quest that led me to Oja. It took me AT LEAST 45 minutes to find my way over to Oja. A world map on the game screen or a link to a popup map would help everyone, especially newer players so they can find their way around. (Include markers on the map for important areas i.e. Where to smith, where to cook, etc.)
PlaneShift is a different kind of game.  The focus here is on realism rather than convenience.  Travel isn't meant to be easy, even though some of the maps are a little strange.

For finding places like smiths and taverns, the goal is for there to be enough active players online so that there are always people you can ask for directions.  When you arrive at a city for the first time, it's in the interest of realism for you to not automatically know where everything is.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Bguy

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:54:42 am »
If you cant find your way around, then just ask for a guide. People make the trek daily, so it shouldn't be a problem finding someone who was heading there anyway. Also, you can think about purchasing a player-made map of the area. They should be able to get you around if they re good enough to sell.

Rigwyn

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 07:39:06 am »

Wow your doing pretty good... It took me a week or so of wandering in the woods before I finally asked someone how to get back to a town. ( Its ok to ask for directions )  ;D  People typically don't mind... in fact you can meet other players like that, make friends/alliances ... even engage in RP..

Worth noting - I found that the default camera settings tend to cull out major landmarks like distant stalactites and mountains wich made navigation harder. If you fuss with the camera settings you can adjust it so that distant objects don't just disappear.  I forgot what the setting was called ( some distance related setting ) but setting it to 1000 worked wonders for me.