Author Topic: Weekly roleplay lessons  (Read 3022 times)

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Weekly roleplay lessons
« on: May 03, 2009, 05:55:38 pm »
Recently, I've noticed that many people seem to be unaware what roleplay actually means. They might know the definition of OOC or IC, but quite often they don't know what they are doing wrong when praising their "300q weapons" in auction tab. Someone (Aka Vonor) suggested me trying to give roleplay lessons instead of trying to change the people by criticism. And thus here I am.

First of all, I am looking for volunteers who would be willing to help out on the teacher side of the lesson so this idea can eventually reach all timezones. Next, concerning the place. It'd be best if we'd do some theory, either in game or on IRC. IRC has the advantage of being far better for communication purposes, whereas in game reaches everyone. What do you guys think? Secondly, I think the theory should be followed by some practice, for example a tiny roleplay event which allows those that just heard a lot of theory to practice their roleplay skills without fearing to be criticised for lack of english etc.

I'm awaiting feedback and volunteers!

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly roleplay lessons
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 06:35:52 pm »
I'm pretty sure there are threads dedicated to this, like explaining the function and ideals of roleplay. But if you think there's a genuine need for in-game tutelage then I could help, I have a knack for being able to explain things really easily.
There is an alternative, more probable theory that 9/11 was in fact caused by Hanson's 1997 smash hit 'MMMBop.'

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:19:19 pm »
I wonder if there are so many wanting to 'teach' role play why there is so little role play in this game. No offense Donari, I consider you a friend as you know, but I hardly doubt you will make a difference where so many have failed in the past. Why do you think some of the best role players have left this game?Though I wish you luck.

* Mathy Stockington goes back to real life.

Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:33:50 pm »
* Under the moon never failed in teaching Roleplaying, just ran out of time to play.

Mathy, stop spreading your depressive defeatism.

Keldrena

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 08:43:03 pm »
I've been playing on and off the last four years and yet, somehow, I'm still able to find roleplay.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 09:08:21 pm »
Lead by example...
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 11:00:25 pm »
I'd gladly teach but I am not in game too often now.

Thoss

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Explorers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 11:41:52 pm »
sounds like a good idea to me.
Thoss Yonbur/Aarnir Irety/Oslorod Krolar/Myno Eljin

jaycol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://salonatest.sa.funpic.de/CoD_banner1.jpg
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 05:50:23 am »
Teaching vs Preaching. I think you have a good idea Donari. The question I would ask. "Is how do you go about generating player interest in it, to participate?"

And, yes there are several threads with this mentioned. But there is also a difference between "Talking the Talk, and Walking the walk" (to borrow the phrase)

I,  myself am guilty of what Donari is talking about. Though I have made some efforts to correct them. The process takes some practice of habit. And, I do appreciate those experienced role players who have weaned me through patience and example of conversation vs [learn how to role play] Though I doubt I will ever be a in-depth role player I do try to work my character into his surroundings, as I think many players do. In the last market the main chat was a mix of conversation, but, the trend is moving more to players making the attempt to try to role play their characters. That has been a gradual improvement if anyone takes the time to notice.

I have helped a few new players under the suggestions of Illysia and UTM, It's not easy but it has had some results also. I use main chat to role play the explanation and move the questions of mechanics to tells and/or group. Some pick up the idea rather quickly, while others struggle a little until they learn the difference in the use of the chat windows. all have show an effort in time, without having to be direct about it.

Even the main chat of the mines have improved, Again if you take notice. There are still a few lol's and and some basic silliness. Once a few players start to joke around in the correct manner the mood chances and most  join into it. So,the effort isn't in vain. Many players are trying if you bring them into an IC conversation.

I still remember my first real experience of role play between characters. I meet a male Enkidukai on the road from the magic shop gold mine. After greeting him, he asked that I joined him in his walk to Hydlaa. He ignored my ignorance of the use of the main chat and weaned me into the role play of the conversation. It ending up being a fun and pleasant introduction to role play. Honestly, if he had started to say [use brackets] or started to correct me along the way. I may have just hit the "R" button and been done with it. I am thankful for his patience in working with me around  it. That conversation often comes to mind whenever I meet a new player.

No, Role play isn't dead, but much of it is in infancy, how it matures is entirely up to the people willing to give it direction.

Donari, A use of a simple play may work as a teaching method. A simple script that can be handed out to interested players to participate in and act out. Using both short text and actions. It would offer some experience to role playing and make it fun to be part of.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 05:54:38 am by jaycol »

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 06:48:33 am »
Mathy, stop spreading your depressive defeatism.

You are correct Under the moon.So let me start again: I was taught by example, but I must say back then there was so much role play in game it was hard not to be apart of it. For all I know Under the Moon was one of my teachers. We can never stop learning.

Then I ask what kind of role play are the people of PlaneShift looking for? How do you want to role play? Maybe the question should be asked, "What is role play?" Can different kinds of role play come together and work? Though some played their character's story, some played the PlaneShift story, and some played the game mechanics. Role play might be different things to different people. How is it best done? Can it be planned? Should it be planned? Do you want small role plays in game or large ones that continue on and on with many people involved? How can a person keep up with the role play due to all the different time zones? I am sure there are many more questions to ask.

Maybe before we learn to role play, we need to understand what it is and how it fits into PlaneShift.

Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Vonor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Languages: English / German
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 06:52:32 am »
If there's a lot of interest in such an RP-School I will gladly help you out with the organisation. For example teleporting the "class" to a different instance so no other people get disturbed.

Contact me when you have set up the first date for this,

Vonor
Quote from: Mordraugion
Quote from: zanzibar
::|  What just happened?

you got Caarried

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 09:40:51 am »
If there's a lot of interest in such an RP-School I will gladly help you out with the organisation. For example teleporting the "class" to a different instance so no other people get disturbed.

Contact me when you have set up the first date for this,

Vonor

Something like this would probably get me in game more again. I love RPing in PS and I don't even mind if it is with newbs all the time.

Zjok

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 10:12:30 am »
Donari, your idea is excellent. I will be attending as many classes as possible.
"Rambling Thoughts"
Short 15 to 30 minute classes
1 day, same day every week
taught by different races for multiple perspectives
same location for all classes
mentioned in the Orientation Tutorial -> "You may find Roleplay Classes in game at times."
Class announcement posted via Book Poster
Pre-registration for class by student dropping book with character name/race/experience at specific location
Teacher gathering registration books to formulate a lesson format
Using Group tab for lesson instruction
My character would like to know more about the world in which he lives and works and especially about other races.
Reading the forum pages is helpful but going to a live class taught by a live person of Yliakum would be so much better.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 10:13:55 am »
Many of you may be forgetting that once upon a time xillix sat in front of the temple for 6-8 hours a day teaching people the difference of ooc and ic and the basics of rp and how to get around. My registration numbers show that that was over 300 characters served. Most if not all of those people no longer play.

I can tell you from those experiences that teaching rp is a constant activity. If you even want to make a dent I'd suggest a more fixed sort of training where there is SOMEONE available to teach new people in one location constantly.

If so many of you are passionate about teaching the newbs you could organize and take turns doing this.

I think weekly lessons is insufficient to the issue at hand.

Like anything else, you must provide incentive for people to want to listen to you, rather than preaching to any geek who does "lol" in main chat, set up to handle all comers and give them the benefit of your experience.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 11:38:32 am »
Yup, the Vespers of Laanx did a lot of good back then.  Unfortunately by the time I became guild leader it was largely inactive... a shame.  I managed to bring back a few people but it never reached its former glory.

If you go the Vespers of Laanx route, you'll probably end up creating shortcuts to facilitate dialogue.  Try to hide the fact that you're hotkeying paragraphs of text, or else you might yourself be promoting bad behaviours.  Just pace yourself as if you were actually typing it and you'll be fine.

It was good of Xillix to weigh in on this.  Other people in the same class as Xillix would be Janner and Verrliit, I wonder if we'll hear from them next?
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.