Author Topic: training pet?  (Read 4340 times)

filywo

• Traveller
    • View Profile
training pet?
« on: July 09, 2009, 09:08:51 am »
is it possible to train the stats of my pet?
my pet just sucessfully killed an npc;
is it possible to train skills like melee or strength?

btw. i noticed it only attacks npc that have unique names, like "jirris athano"
but not rat or ulbernaut
I suppose thats a bug, or am i doing something wrong?

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
Re: training pet?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:10:12 am »
is it possible to train the stats of my pet?
my pet just sucessfully killed an npc;
is it possible to train skills like melee or strength?

btw. i noticed it only attacks npc that have unique names, like "jirris athano"
but not rat or ulbernaut
I suppose thats a bug, or am i doing something wrong?
no
probably something wrong as it works fine here

filywo

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:16:04 am »
oh a fast answer...  :) thanks
well
/target jirris
/attack

will work

but:
/target rat (-->"sucessfully targeted rat")
/attack
---> my familiar doesnt do anything
but theres no message like "your familiar refuses"

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 05:50:06 pm »
Try clicking the specific rat you want it to attack and type /target rather than /target rat. The pet might target a rat that is far away for some reason (maybe the rat with the lowest coding ID or something like that?).
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

filywo

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:48:10 am »
thanks, works great (targeting and /pet target) i thougt i allready tried that, but now it works that way...  \\o//

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 09:07:10 am »
:o OMG ... hopefully noone gets the idea of letting a Groffel fight a Kikiri ...   :-[ Did I just post that?  :-X

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Bguy

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 04:43:10 pm »
Groffel vs Kikiri? That's lame. My groffel can take out rouges and other groffels (with magical support). I am just waiting for someone to create a pet tournament (with, as I said, magical support legal since you can't train them yet) so I can enter.

hulla

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 06:05:56 pm »
hello
yes my pet can attack some rat or another npc ! but i have some question
my pet can be "more strong" if i train empathy more ? (and if the answer is "no" what i can "win" to train more ?)
can i give something to my pet ? (perhaps a simple bone ?)
what about the "die" (my pet can go to the dead realm whitout me ?)
can my pet attack other pet ?
me to i want know if he can "train " something (and what about the pp he make ?)
i have manny more question but after years of "having a pet who do nothing" i am happy to have a pet who can do "something" (and going outside of the tavern is still something he cant do !)
he still have problem whit the "way up" or down but happily he now dont stop at the first shadow on the way !
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 06:09:39 pm by hulla »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 11:45:23 pm »
As far as I know, "Empathy" training increases the duration how long the pet can stay active...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Bguy

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 08:49:48 am »
     If you check the in game help, it shows all pet commands. You must have a minimum level of empathy for different commands. From the top of my head, commands they can do are /pet follow (the pet follows you around walking slowly); /pet name (name) (No parenthesis, names your pet what is in the space); /mypet (works like /me only replaces it with your pets name); /pet target (targets the thing you have selected); /pet attack (attacks and claims possession of what it has targeted); /pet assist (attacks, but does not claim possession (you can attack with it) of what it has targeted); and /pet guard (I haven't tried this, but I assume it means you can guard items from a distance since your pet is there guarding it). Pets can attack pets and people.

There are also two more cool things I found. 1 is that you can talk to your pet in the NPC tab, and 2, if you are sick of your pet following you slowly, have your pet target you then use /pet attack, it will run after you. You just have to be careful you don't get nipped. :D

raline

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 08:48:59 am »
Having just completed the pet quest I have one question: how long does the ring of familiar stay depleted before you can summon the pet again? My pet timed out and disappeared while I was trying to get it to follow me out of Levrus's shop while it sat there doing nothing (not sure whether that was a proper bug or whether I need better stats to make my pet follow me).

bilbous

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 11:39:52 am »
You need better stats and more specifically to train the empathy skill. I am not certain which of the mental stats is directly related, I suspect it is either willpower or charisma with the former getting my vote. Training empathy is as simple as repeatedly commanding your pet to do something. Create a shortcut for /pet follow or /pet stay and then just keep pushing it until it ranks the skill.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 11:47:59 am »
Training empathy is as simple as repeatedly commanding your pet to do something.

Em-pa-thy (n.)- The ability to boss people around.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:49:44 am by Aramara Meibi »
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 02:28:48 am »
Please note that the training success was limited to each 10 seconds, to avoid powerleveling shortcuts.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

bilbous

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 04:39:29 am »
When did that happen? I always found it to be a cheesy thing to do, myself, but it would be far better to have a system where empathy increased due to the time you spent with your pet and not from discrete commands. I have spent a lot of time riding one or other of my mounts and we are still strangers and I have gained little empathy for their plight.