Author Topic: Too Dark Shadows  (Read 799 times)

Kilorian

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Too Dark Shadows
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:49:13 pm »
Now, I have read alot in this forum about the darkness bug and so on but after spending 3 hours searching I cannot find a fix for this. I know there are some modified maps to download, but it seems they only work for Windows users. I also read about -fullbright but it seems that doesnt work anymore (I don't even know how to use it).

I am running a 2 1/2 year old macbook pro with an ATI X1600 (and yes I am aware of the issue with the X1600, and I have applied all the fixes.
I went through the Mac guide and followed all steps and still I have this issue.

As you can see, my brightness is at max, but if I walked forward I would literally be surrounded in darkness. There is no way to walk through most of Hydlaa.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kilorian

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Too Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:37:39 pm »

Another picture with me by the library in Hyldaa, which if I didnt have someone to follow, there is no way I would have gotten there.

iriss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 07:25:18 am »
Hi

Downloading and replacing these maps worked on my iMac: http://planeshift.alphasys.nl
Sometimes its still pich black, depending in what area I start up the game. When I log out in good light in the forrest, it can happen that I will be "blind" in my next re-log. I usually handle it as part of RP. "Got struck by a curse" etc....... People are usually very kind to lead you out into the "light" (just out of the forrest for instance).
The darkness is a bit annoying sometimes, but with the lighter maps it is bearable.  ;)

Have loads of fun with Planeshift!

Ithwaynn

Kilorian

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 10:04:56 am »
I have downloaded the maps, but when I try and login in, it says that it was unable to load region or something like that. I should probably mention that I am running OSX.4 (Tiger). Maybe its a Tiger issue.

Kilorian

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 10:42:41 am »
Ok, so after a good night sleep and some time of not thinking about this issue, I was able to fix it.

As mentioned above I had already went through the guide and applied all known fixes and tricks. I had downloaded the Fix PS app from http://planeshift.caarrie.org/ and applied all but the audio fix.

So 10 minutes ago, I decided to take a few steps back and try again. I knew the issue dealt with either Tiger or Video Card, so...
1) I used Fix PS to UNDO the X1600 fix.
2)Then I re-read the README-osx.txt file and to undo #4 which deals with shaders. But instead of removing the lines of text they ask you to add to the psclient.cfg, I actually changed the end words from 'false' to 'true'. like so;

Video.OpenGL.Shader.Cg.Enable.Fragment=true
Video.OpenGL.Shader.Cg.Enable.Vertex=true

And it worked, no more deathly shadows in Hydlaa anyways, I just started the game and because of the shadows have not left Hydlaa yet. Hopefully its good elsewhere. And I don't know which of the two actions I did fixed the problem.

Hope this helps other people. If this did help you, please reply here, I am very curious if I just had an isolated issue and the devs are reading this, laughing at how much of a noob I am.

Xandon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 12:56:05 am »
I was experiencing the same problem in Hydlaa. Almost everything was completely dark. When I changed those lines that end in false to true (as suggested) it fixed the whole problem. I also turned my brightness all the way up. Yeah- I can see Hydlaa now!