Author Topic: The good use of /tell  (Read 502 times)

Kronwag Gheargh

• Traveller
    • View Profile
The good use of /tell
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:24:51 am »
Sorry if this is redundant but I can't manage to find out a proper answer making a search in old threads.
I wanted to know what is acceptable for the use of /tell regarding OOC and IC discussions. I was wondering what could explain an IC use to speak with someone far away, if permitted for IC. And if not, can we use it freely for OOC, giving hints to newbies, passing relevant OOC information etc.
"Rock has time"

Aiwendil

Re: The good use of /tell
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:41:42 am »
Only my humble opinion on this.

Kronwag Gheargh

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 11:11:52 am »
OK, thanks for the input.
It makes me wonder "how to control your pet to go and find the good person?" or is it only RP ?  :)
I must add to my former question that I tend to use /say for IC chat and /tell for OOC. Would it be correct ?
"Rock has time"

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:23:19 am »
Thats pretty much how I use it apart from when needing to whisper in someones ear
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Rrivaln hrraln mo hetakh! (Enkien)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:28:56 am »
I must add to my former question that I tend to use /say for IC chat and /tell for OOC.

You don't need to type /say every time. Depending on your settings, when you type with the "main" tab open and click enter, it goes authomatically to the "main" tab.

since 0.3.019 Crystal Blue || Sometimes a ragequit is the right decision.

Lhaa

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 11:30:37 am »
IC tells won't work in most situations (besides whispering). They may do if you play a character with telepathic skills but then that is considered cheating or at least unfair by a large majority of players since there are no real limitations known to the still non implemented skills that allow it.
Same as for IC guildchats, this provides an advantage over other players that in my opinion should be avoided so that everybody gets a fair chance to react to a given situation.

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 11:47:27 am »
* Liadan drops a couple trias in the bucket

Kronwag, in my experience, the difference between /tell and /say really falls onto who you're interacting with. What i've found is that most people do use the brackets to denote what is OOC and what isn't for both ways of communicating. Some, i've even found, drop the brackets when it's a long-distance /tell (ie I'm in Hydlaa and they're en route to BD), since there is no way it could be confused between IC conversation. Tells are also useful when you don't want the rest of the populace to know what your characters are doing in the upstair rooms of Kada-Els.

As you can tell by the multiple answers, people have different opinions as to how and what should be used in what circumstance. The best thing you can do, is adopt or create your own standard for using them, then depending on who you're talking with, adapt your standard.

Scarn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 12:35:21 pm »
I wanted to know what is acceptable for the use of /tell regarding OOC and IC discussions. I was wondering what could explain an IC use to speak with someone far away, if permitted for IC. And if not, can we use it freely for OOC, giving hints to newbies, passing relevant OOC information etc.

Imaginary Friends utilizes /tell option ICly which you can read about in the guild section.
S: I want to be Columbo! K: That is NOT a class...