Author Topic: Talking IC  (Read 1943 times)

Metola Distur

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Talking IC
« on: August 09, 2009, 02:54:59 pm »
I'm new to role playing. And to the chat windows. Maybe I shouldn't be in this game being too much of a noob but I like it so far. I chose this game because I have an Intel Mac.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to talk in game IC.  Do I put /say before everything I say in the communications window?
I'm also not sure which tab I should say it in.  Main, NPC, or System?

Xarock greeted me and apoligized to me but I didn't know how to respond back. I don't know what they did to apoligize for.
Guess it's my noobness.

I've read everything I could find in the player gude, even visited the PS Wiki, and Yliakums Bureau. But I've not found enough details on how to chat.

Scarn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Talking IC
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 03:50:16 pm »
You have different tabs to choose from in your chat window. Main chat is for IC talk like ''How farest thou'' or if needed use brackets for OOC in main ---> [put your text here] /tells are private chat and 90% OOC so no need for brackets in my opinion if it's not a whisper and you are standing near the player you're talking to. Guildchat is only seen by your guildmembers (if you belong to one. Groups can be formed and then you can use groupchat  which is often OOC too. To write in the chat window click on the little space under the messagebox and write. click outside to use hotkeys etc ingame.

To choose what chat just click on the text.
S: I want to be Columbo! K: That is NOT a class...

Wavan Levironk

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 04:01:28 pm »
There are different tabs:

- The main tab is for IC only. If you want to say anything OOC, you have to put it inside brackets [ ]. No need to use /say.
- The Tell tab can be used both IC or OOC, depends of the player. However, it's usually OOC. You can use it typing /tell *name of character* *message*. You can press F so you reply to the last player who sent you a tell.
- The NPC tab is for NPCs only. No need to use any command, just have the tab selected.
- The help tab is for help requesting, you don't need to use any commands unless you want to offer advice.
- The guild chat depends of the guild, it can be both IC and OOC (it will most likely be OOC). No need to use any special command, just have the tab selected.

Hope this will help you, any doubt, just ask :)
"The same moment that you are seen as the best, the fastest and somebody that cannot be touched, you are enormously fragile." - Ayrton Senna

Uosdwis

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Halcyonic Bulwark Public Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 04:19:52 pm »
Welcome to PlaneShift, Metola!

While I was typing out how to use chat tabs, two others beat me to it!  ;D
So instead I'll just say this:

Most of the players in this game are friendly and helpful! Please don't feel bad about being new, everyone was at one time, we all understand.  :D
If you ask just about anyone ingame about anything politely, you will probably get the help you need.

Just giving you what you wanted.
Are you sure you like it?

Metola Distur

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 05:39:29 pm »
Thank you all for your help.  I think I understand it more now.