Poll

Do you think we're ready for a wipe?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Wipe y/n?  (Read 26899 times)

Semutara

• Hydlaa Resident
  • I am awsome - live with it
    • View Profile
Re: Wipe y/n?
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2009, 05:30:14 am »
Come on now wipe away ^^
I do not understand people's surpriseness about this like "oh noeees all my stuff all my pretty stuff".. or time... yes? I have used a whole lot of time as well, and then you can use some more?
It has been no secret for as long as I have played wipe was coming? Sooooooo?

Whats the surprising element in this for the people?
Rp wont stop because of this?
And it's the rp we care about right? At least on laanx..

Stop whining and lets wipe..

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2009, 05:32:22 am »
I can say to questions of "why do it?"

-Previous Exploits
-Need to re-examine leveling mathematically.
-Need a flood of people in early leveling to balance this effectively.
-Reworking major systems (magic, factions, quests...)
-Need to re-assess training levels, what should be max, the value of time relative to fun.
-Need to re-align who trains what and where.
-many dead accounts, guilds, and guild houses.
-Clear long time players to play on the correct server
-Set clear baseline for the new rp rules on laanx.

Im using this post since it contains most keywords..

As I said in another post about database reset (that Im too lazy now to search..) I see in this discussion mostly topics, but hardly real points. A few in particular:
 - previous exploits: Yes, those happend. But what in particular is the bad effect of them apart from e.g. some more money on a few chars? Way more money comes from the plainum diggers.
 - Need to re-examine leveling mathematically: Ok, that's a good point. But: Are you throughoutly prepared for it? Will you just look for a year for it before wiping again and restarting with more reasonable rules? (That'd be actually the way to go). Why does it need a complete database reset instead of simply having a look at new chars?
 - Reworking major systems (magic, factions, quests...): Sounds good, but.... I have not a clue what is meant in particular :P
 - Need to re-assess training levels, what should be max, the value of time relative to fun: Definetly a todo, but I again don't see what big advantage a wipe will bring here.
 - many dead accounts, guilds, and guild houses: There are many dead accounts and guilds in the database. But what in particular is the big bad thing in it? Does it slow the server down by e.g. 5%; does it generate lag for players? That's again just a topic, but not a point for a wipe since there is no explanation of what bad the dead database entry do. (And as a side note; you can find the maybe 10 dead guild houses by simply watching)
 - Set clear baseline for the new rp rules on laanx: We did that already partially and never heard again of the convention...
Other points I saw:
 - Clear bad items from the database: I personally would very much like to have a fish of seduction, but well.... anyway, what in particular is the bad effect of the items in the game? Lag... crashes...?
 - Game is inbalanced stats-wise: Ok, this will set all back to the original stats (including those who have minimum possible skills&stats due to a earlier bug). But, rough guess, after 3 months we will have people with maxed skills&stats again and people without having trained anything. I don't see the point of why a wipe will bring a long-term solution.

To sum up: Yes, there are even points for a wipe, most things are simply aimed at tidy up the database as aim itself. Im all for having things tidied up, but  <crazyExample>I don't quit my job to tidy up my home</crazyExample>. Means: If I do the most extreme action I should have decent benefit from it.

Notes: - I actually should write about disadvantages of a wipe; else also weak pro-wipe points would be sufficient. But I believe most can think of some disadvantages ;)
 - We might want to drop the pler on laanx topic; else this thread would turn into one of many...

I can't resist to also say something to the testers-excu...ehm.. point: Im not a tester, Im a player. If I were a tester I'd want to get access to the information I need for testing. And I want the abilities for testing. But all I have is the information and abilities of a player who puts bug reports every now and then into the bug tracker.

For the rest imagine I copied some of Koios's and gaelfx's (and maybe other's) posts in here ;)

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

angstrom

• Traveller
  • Angstrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2009, 08:04:54 am »
Another vote for yes!

I see a lot of posts here from people that don't want a wipe.  They tell us how long it took them to be able to make q300 weapons, or to kill ulbers with a little more than a thought, and how they don't want to lose their magic spoon of so-and-so  :o

To these people : You have my sympathies! I've spent blah-de-blah amount of time building up my character, learning skills and collecting trinkets.
Do you know what, though? I've enjoyed doing it! Yep, I've had fun! Sure, the hours at the forge or mine could get a bit dull, but that's when I wandered off for a drink and a chat with friends, or got dragged away to a GM event, or any one of a number of things!

To those who say "If there's a wipe, I won't be playing any more" : Bye then! It's a shame you feel that way, and we'll miss (some of) you.  :'(
If you change your mind, you know where the rest of us will be.  ;D

Oh, and a question to finish with. Are the players that don't want a wipe, the same ones that complain the loudest when the server goes down?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 10:26:54 am by angstrom »
A happy yak needs no string.

Cavi

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2009, 08:56:25 am »
If it's wiped now, it will still have to be wiped again before 1.0 so then we get to lose 2 chars that were worked on for so many hours gaining skills that will ultimately be taken away from us. That is not something I could ever look forward to in a game.

Well said Gaelfx.  :(
Cavi Iskaral [Permadead]
Ardeth Angstrom: Rogue extraordinaire
Jaida Pundactum: Sister to the infamous Jacula

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2009, 09:01:35 am »
Oh, and a question do finish with. Are the players that don't want a wipe, the same ones that complain the loudest when the server goes down?

I know Im not nice saying that but.... *tries to resist*... gnnnnn.... maybe they are the ones eating fries with ketchup.. I don't see the relation of wipe and less server crashes. (Im serious with that  ;) )

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Redyn

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2009, 09:39:28 am »
I'm playing this game for 3 months now, and maybe some of you need to be rememberd how much fun it was resting 2 minutes in the wilderness, after an exhausting 1 minute run. Or traveling 10 times between EBD and Ojaveda for one stupid quest. Yes, in my opinon it is stupid, to let the player run for hours back and forth. I hope this game evolves to more interesting quests at some time, something other than "Take item A bring it to NPC B, ....".

As for the wipe, after 6 pages i still don't see the reason of doing it now. I read the announcement, saying it will be done before Version 1.0. But judging the state of server and client at this time, this won't happen for a decade. It is supposed to solve problems with the databse? Last time i looked, there were other SQL commands than "DROP DATABASE". If the Stats, Skills and items are not needed on this (RP) server, why are they here at all?

As you probably know by now, i agree to most posts which are against the wipe. No need to repeat it all again.

As for me, there are too much booring things needed to do, to make your char even travel to most locations in reasonable time. And I don't want to do them all again, to reach a point where the game could start to make some fun. So after a wipe i'll probably wait for V1.0 before playing again.

-stf-

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2009, 11:26:20 am »
I have an idea that can solve this. What about to create script, that will wipe all data about players, who were not connected longer than 6 months, followed by database optimization? That could do huge cleaning action in the database just over the time without need to wipe all the database.

Theorex

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2009, 11:33:37 am »
Well I voted no, simply because I don't care how good the server is, how often it crashes or how many bugs there are in the game, I want my characters and I'm half way through the process of making an event.

I have however come up with an idea to have both yes and no, meaning everybody's happy.

Runescape started off fresh seperate from the original game. So instead of deleting it, they just put it to one side and let it carry on while they worked on the new one.

Can we not do this?

Timmothy Perriwinkle

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • I see u lookin' at mah Periwinklez.
    • View Profile
    • The Depot that's also a Warehouse
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2009, 11:34:31 am »
No. We don't have enough playerbase to separate.

[12:05am] XilliX: I <3 you that much

Theorex

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2009, 11:38:52 am »
playerbase?

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2009, 11:45:30 am »
He means there is not enough of a playerbase to split it between servers. Part of getting to the point where that playerbase exists though is making sure that the game works, and is fair and balanced for everyone so that they continue to play the game. The fact of a major database reset has never been secret, and is going to happen at some time. At this point though, there have been too many bad things that have injected erroneous objects and conditions in the world data. Its like a bandage, if you pull it off quickly, it will hurt less, and you will forget the pain faster. We might be surprised at how Laanx behaves after.

Theorex

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2009, 11:58:25 am »
fair and balanced for everyone?

games like planeshift will never be fair and balanced....ever...

but ok...I was just wondering if it was possible

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2009, 12:06:27 pm »
games like planeshift will never be fair and balanced....ever...

Why do you believe this exactly?

Timmothy Perriwinkle

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • I see u lookin' at mah Periwinklez.
    • View Profile
    • The Depot that's also a Warehouse
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2009, 12:10:48 pm »
When you can't decide if the glass is half full or half empty the best course of action is to dump the remainder on the ground. Then there is no question.

[12:05am] XilliX: I <3 you that much

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2009, 12:11:52 pm »
Then you can refill it and be certain it is full.