Poll

Do you think we're ready for a wipe?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Wipe y/n?  (Read 27028 times)

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Wipe y/n?
« Reply #360 on: January 19, 2010, 11:05:33 pm »
Wipes are not about an advantage to the player. They're about cleansing the database of old and buggy features and items.

Syenna

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 19, 2010, 11:41:22 pm »
Wipes are not about an advantage to the player. They're about cleansing the database of old and buggy features and items.

This. The devs have already brought up plenty of valid points as to why there should be a wipe, and if it needs to be done, it should, regardless of how long people have spent on their characters.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #362 on: January 20, 2010, 12:54:59 am »
ya if a wipe helps get the game debugged, and more playable, it should be a major yes regardless of how long people trained, especially since it might let people who cant get the game workin to be able to play
definite yes to it ^^
the more people the funner right?
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Thedrish

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 20, 2010, 04:55:48 am »
Although I voted no, I do understand that systems need to be cleaned up.
The only problem is that people who know there is a wipe coming won't be as active as they have been before: "what's the use, everything will be gone soon(TM)".

And I must admit that losing most of what I have achieved so far is something I would regret.
But alas, nothing in live lasts forever  ;)
Thedrish Urthadar
Knights Commander of The Lost Knights

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 20, 2010, 09:09:17 am »
The wipe will not occur soon, we have a lot to do to get things to a point where there is no way to move forward but to wipe.

shorty13

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Skiing > All
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2010, 10:08:33 am »
I still think that there should be a wipe, but upon character creation players should be allowed to put one skill/magic/combat attribute/etc to a high level so they are not starting from scratch.  Crawling through the sewers is just the worst.
There are two types of people in this world: The Pinky and the Brain.
Which one are you?

EStripus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 20, 2010, 10:11:23 am »
I am not a techie at all.  In light of Syenna's explanation and Xillix's confirmation, I am a player that would like to see more be able to play. Hopefully, with a less buggy/tempermental system the new players will stay and be less frustrated.
Don't godmod me and we'll get along fine.

Thedrish

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 25, 2010, 01:45:39 am »
While I was on my way to the Arena, a thought entered my mind.

What would happen if there is a wipe with money deposited at the local banker William Chorind?
Would such an account also be wiped?
Thedrish Urthadar
Knights Commander of The Lost Knights

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #368 on: January 25, 2010, 02:45:06 am »
yes i think so
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 06, 2010, 12:04:35 am »
Disclaimer: The entire thread was not read word for word... yet skimmed enough that it appears this idea was not floated....

You may be interested to have a read through the Relation of in game months to RL dates thread and the suggestions of mine. If the Game Time were made as to my suggestions then there could be ageing naturally added to PS. This would have a natural culling of characters over time. My guess is that most of the current high level characters would be dead of old age by the time version 1.0's wipe is ready.  ;D

Put in another utility script to check for all Guilds that don't have 5 or more members. With mortality through ageing that should mean most inactive guilds are gone by the time version 1.0 is out.

While deleting characters who die of ageing, delete all instances of items which they have in storage at the same time.

Database still bloated? Nah!  :thumbup:

PLers have to get used to the fact that their power is a fleeting thing? Yep!   :o

- Nova, who likes to be known as a racker ... finding 'grinder' too Freudian.

EStripus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 07, 2010, 10:22:00 pm »
Not really a realistic idea considering some players are pulled away from the game by RL issues and sometimes are unable to return for weeks or months at a time. Life can be rough enough without having to return to your character being dead. This is supposed to be a game for people to enjoy, some of the players are casual RPers. It does not mean they do not care about their character but it does mean they do not have hours and hours to put in the game all at once. Sometimes the players have to be given a chance to be online at the same time in order to continue storylines they have started. Sorry, but forcing players to have their character's age by game time is not really fair to those that like the game but cannot invest time for consistent RPing. It is the gray area between RL players and fantasy world characters.

If you mean to base it off the number of hours that the character is logged in, that is also not really realistic. It takes time for players to consider their character's response, type it (not everyone is a fast typer), wait for someone that has gone afk, or waiting while a laggy player runs across the map for a predetermined meeting place to RP. Let's not forget about that lag monster and the crash monster that also cause interruptions of RPs...characters aging as they politely wait for a player to reply or get back into the system. All of these things add time onto a logged character and do add up after many many RPs. Not all RPs are rapid fire scenarios like tavern scenes. Some are thoughtful and slower paced. Some just take time. I did a fight scene with Jacula once...it took forever for us to type it out and make a great scene, but the game clock was ticking. There was also some OOC convos about things that were happening during the fight to make sure we felt it was within settings and reasonable. In other words we were having fun and didn't give a care how long it took on the game clock.

An interesting idea, but IMHO it is just not fair to penalize players with an 'artificial' wipe because of other game quirks that elongate RPs or RL issues that delay RP storyline progression.

When the devs are ready to wipe, they will do it.
Don't godmod me and we'll get along fine.

Xoel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2010, 12:11:28 am »
No other popular MMO has the whole aging thing, I don't see why PS should.... that and forcing mortality on players is a big no-no....

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2010, 02:15:56 am »
Your points are well taken, EStripus. It gives one wonder why time has been introduced at all, then, to PS. On top of that there seems to be two time lines. The clock that ticks away in the Information window and the months and game year as defined by the Settings Team mentioned in the thread noted my previous posting.

If your points are the excepted ones in the community, then why have time at all in PS? There is also the conflict of two differing systems; the month game year that is a 1:1 ratio to a rl year and the Information clock which seems to run at a 6:1 ratio.

Your points make sense to me, yet they fly in the face of the flow of time which is obvious, though confusing, to anyone who care to open the Information window.

- Nova

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2010, 03:09:51 pm »
shorter days don't mean shorter years. just look at other planets. they may have 15 hour days and 600 day years. yliakum obviously isn't on earth, so i don't see why it should use our time.

Sillamon

« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2010, 05:18:40 pm »
Ok, so I heard from an unofficial, but credible source that the surprise wipe will happen sometime this week. xD
Better go kill some olbies before you are reduced to striplings ;)

I've also heard that it would be a nasty wipe too... Accounts and guilds deleted, all in-game items go bye bye ...
* Sillamon sheds a tiny tear.