Author Topic: Performance problems with AC  (Read 926 times)

thob

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Performance problems with AC
« on: December 10, 2009, 02:29:08 pm »
g'day

I think I am not the only one with massive performance problems brought by the release of AC.
I know, you can set graphics to a very low level, I know shaders are nice.. but I dont understand why this game is still slow with disabeling shaders, grass...

With 0.4.03 everything (eh.. nearly) was fine.. but now I can hardly move in our guildhouse (about 1 fps?  :whistling:).

I think my computer is not the worst, it is far away from beeing good, but I heard from others with fancy dualcores and a lot of ram that they had same problems: Think pictures (its  one instance of PS) tell more than words.

Besides the performace, eh.. there are still a lot of bugs?! Well there are always bugs. But why releasing an unstable AC?
Shortly before chrismas, where a lot of people may want to spent some time on rping. But they cant, their client keeps crashing...
Ezpcusa is for testing? Why not giving us the chance to find and eleminate some bugs?

Because you want to show what a wonderful game PS is?

We all know it.
And we are satisfied with poor graphics.. if the client and the server is stable and usable.

Hope you got the point.
Hope there are others with the same problems arround.
Hope they tell us what they think.

Thob
Thob Ciscon, Crafter and Merchant for crafted Weapons.
Proud member of The Woiperdinger and the Merchantile Order of Commerce!

peeg

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Performance problems with AC
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 02:57:10 pm »
[ PSde ] - Join the german community!
Peeg Chaoswind - Mentor in The Rangers Of Yliakum

Aiwendil

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 04:07:34 pm »
Try turning OFF VBOs in the pslaunch application....helps for some graphic cards.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:35:41 pm »
You have the same chance to find and fix bugs on Laanx now. The more the merrier. We can't know how things will go until a regular use stress test is conducted, this happens on Laanx.

We'll do what we can but don't expect us to stop developing because we had a semi-stable previous incarnation.

I am interested in bug reports, patches, people helping each other, and a more stable or usable AC.

Complaints that make it sound like we've intentionally stolen your Christmas fun, not so useful.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 06:44:56 pm »
Hope you got the point.
Hope there are others with the same problems arround.
Hope they tell us what they think.

Well they sure did, I like the underlying tone in your post, really gives a good vibe.

You have the same chance to find and fix bugs on Laanx now. The more the merrier. We can't know how things will go until a regular use stress test is conducted, this happens on Laanx.

We'll do what we can but don't expect us to stop developing because we had a semi-stable previous incarnation.

I am interested in bug reports, patches, people helping each other, and a more stable or usable AC.

Complaints that make it sound like we've intentionally stolen your Christmas fun, not so useful.

Bringing down the logichammer.

Jaccas

• Hydlaa Resident
  • CLASSIC NOOB .ESP in RP
    • View Profile
to Xillix
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 10:50:51 pm »
I did programming years back (COBAL, and Y2k upgrades)
so i just want to say in the midst of all the chaos that you guys are doing a good job keeping on top of the issues LIVE as they come,
considering the pay your getting [account balance: $NULL.00 and  00 cents], so get some coffee, code till you cant code no mo :sorcerer:,
then crash out knowing you did what you could :sleeping:, we all wanna play right now right away in a perfect 'world '
but its not even @ version 1.0 yet , we (or @ least I ) get that its gonna be a B*** and a half, but the community here is awesome,
and they all (we all )  got your back on this.
after all we keep coming back and posting,  right?

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 11:01:30 pm »
Thanks Jaccas.

I am not a coder, I am a writer, and a manager here. All I can do is try to manage the crisis and keep information flowing.

To that end, it'd be nice if people didn't post everywhere they can on the forums that there are problems, we know, centralize bugs in the bug tracker if you can.

If you all want it fixed, do the thing that we require of you. Use the bug tracker, communicate with each other, do not cast aspersions on the dev team and their effort.

Encourage, root for us, and most of all HELP!!! We're drowning in information.

-Get on and work as an adviser!

-Get in main and help nooby computer users with their problems.

-Respond to posts that you can help people in.

-Use the proper channels on IRC to ask your questions.

Most of all...

-Don't panic!  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:04:34 pm by Xillix Queen of Fools »

thob

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 05:06:51 am »
heya

well xillix think the irishman understood me, you maybe did not.

I like the game. I like you and the rest for giving us the chance to play. I like it to see some graphical improvements. I like mounts and such.
I was active on ezpc to test. I wrote some reports, I worked as a advisor.

But now I panic.

Cause I am nearly unable to play.
Then I cant test, write reports, help noobs.

It is not that I critizse you for taking away my chrismas fun.. but I critizise that you take away the chance to test on ezpc.
There still are a lot of open critical bugs. I know some bug are easier to find when a lot of people help(e.g with the new questing system).

But again: Why this unstable, slow version (some new things, yeah). Why not waiting until some of this critical bugs are fixed?

Thob

Xilix: I play for over 2 years now. For some this is a long time. For some not. But the last thing I want to do is trolling arround and eh.. insult you.
I want to open another 'perspective'.
Thob Ciscon, Crafter and Merchant for crafted Weapons.
Proud member of The Woiperdinger and the Merchantile Order of Commerce!

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 09:11:26 am »
I answered already. This was considered needed, so it was done.

If it is not playable for you right now, we have things to get done to make it workable.

We knew .5 would be hard on some people.

Can't make an omelet without cracking a few eggs.

Evaluate these for compliance:

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=36450.0
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:20:17 am by Xillix Queen of Fools »

jorrit

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 05:13:57 am »
If you have severe lags in places with campfires and similar try going to your installation directory of PlaneShift and rename the file 'art/itemeffects.xml' to something else so that PS can't find it. This helped for me (from 0.1 fps to about 30)

Greetings,
Project Manager of Crystal Space, CEL, CrystalBlend and Crystal Core. Please support Crystal Space with a donation.